TheWhoRules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How often should I bench press?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and I could use some advice on increasing bench max. I am taking a weight training class at my school, and the teacher says that one of the tests that will be done is bench press maxes. I would like to know how many times a week I should bench press. Right now, I do it once a week, but I am wondering if I should do it on two days. This is my workout schedule:

Monday: Chest (and Bench Press)
    Tuesday: Legs
    Wednesday: Shoulders/Traps
    Thursday: Back
    Friday: Biceps/Triceps

I am wondering if I should do bench press again on Friday. I am not concerned with bulking at this point, only strength. I have gotten my max up 10 pounds in about 2-3 weeks, but I would like to keep it steadily increasing and continue to make considerable gains. I hope that I didn't ask a question that has been answered a million times, but I've searched the Internet trying to find a definate answer, and there are so many that I really don't know where to start. I have only done it once a week because I don't want to overtrain or anything. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by TheWhoRules; 10-17-2003 at 05:35 PM.

XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XEastCoastHateX is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No your fine keep your workout simple worry about eating right and the size and strength will come.....Work everything once every 7 days...

Just remember EAT EAT EAT EAT SLEEP TRAIN

in that order.....
    The 1337 site of the decade http://s7.invisionfree.com/Breaking_The_Pain/index.php?act=idx
    - Got a tattoo question go here---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207339&highlight=XEastCoastHateX
    ***http://s7.invisionfree.com/Breaking_The_Pain/index.php?act=idx***
    -If you post your maxes they are fake and you are full of crap....
    -07-19-2002......In Memory of the Great List......04-29-2004

kennynz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennynz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennynz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennynz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennynz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennynz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennynz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennynz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennynz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennynz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennynz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    welcome to the forums, i would say go for it again on fridays, just make sure you have good nights sleep on the rest days and you shouldnt be overtraining

Thanks for the responses. If I go hard on Mondays, should I go easy on Friday, or would it not make a difference? I think that if I did do bench press on Friday, I would probably do maybe 6 sets close-grip to make sure I'm working my triceps due to time constraints. Again, thanks for the response.

BeRsErK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeRsErK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do it twice a week, monday and friday, but very light on friday with lots of reps.

^^^
    I think I will probably do that. I forgot to mention that we do ab workouts every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, but I guess that really has nothing to do with my question. :P

I have been looking around at some other threads, and there is a lot of interesting information here. Thanks for the responses everyone.

Rooski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    remember if youre going to be benching on friday also that youre gonna be training it again on monday with 3 days rest. i remember in 10th grade i was in wt training and didnt know **** and i barely did anything but workout my chest lol so dont make the same mistake.

BeRsErK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeRsErK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah but if you do heavy on monday, you have 4 days to relax and then friday, you do light. I'm always fine the next monday. I mean it will definatly help is benching by doing it on monday and friday.

EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Check out the powerlifting forum. I think the most popular powerlifting routine ATM is Westside Barbell training, which has you performing each lift 2x per week.