Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

TheWhoRules is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How often should I bench press?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and I could use some advice on increasing bench max. I am taking a weight training class at my school, and the teacher says that one of the tests that will be done is bench press maxes. I would like to know how many times a week I should bench press. Right now, I do it once a week, but I am wondering if I should do it on two days. This is my workout schedule:

Monday: Chest (and Bench Press)
    Tuesday: Legs
    Wednesday: Shoulders/Traps
    Thursday: Back
    Friday: Biceps/Triceps

I am wondering if I should do bench press again on Friday. I am not concerned with bulking at this point, only strength. I have gotten my max up 10 pounds in about 2-3 weeks, but I would like to keep it steadily increasing and continue to make considerable gains. I hope that I didn't ask a question that has been answered a million times, but I've searched the Internet trying to find a definate answer, and there are so many that I really don't know where to start. I have only done it once a week because I don't want to overtrain or anything. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by TheWhoRules; 10-17-2003 at 05:35 PM.

BodyPoints: 150
    XEastCoastHateX is just really nice. (+1000) XEastCoastHateX is just really nice. (+1000) XEastCoastHateX is just really nice. (+1000) XEastCoastHateX is just really nice. (+1000) XEastCoastHateX is just really nice. (+1000) XEastCoastHateX is just really nice. (+1000) XEastCoastHateX is just really nice. (+1000) XEastCoastHateX is just really nice. (+1000) XEastCoastHateX is just really nice. (+1000)
    Visit XEastCoastHateX's BodySpace
    No your fine keep your workout simple worry about eating right and the size and strength will come.....Work everything once every 7 days...

Just remember EAT EAT EAT EAT SLEEP TRAIN

in that order.....
    The 1337 site of the decade http://s7.invisionfree.com/Breaking_The_Pain/index.php?act=idx
    - Got a tattoo question go here---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207339&highlight=XEastCoastHateX
    ***http://s7.invisionfree.com/Breaking_The_Pain/index.php?act=idx***
    -If you post your maxes they are fake and you are full of crap....
    -07-19-2002......In Memory of the Great List......04-29-2004

kennynz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kennynz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kennynz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kennynz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kennynz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kennynz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kennynz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kennynz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kennynz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kennynz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kennynz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Visit kennynz's BodySpace
    welcome to the forums, i would say go for it again on fridays, just make sure you have good nights sleep on the rest days and you shouldnt be overtraining

Thanks for the responses. If I go hard on Mondays, should I go easy on Friday, or would it not make a difference? I think that if I did do bench press on Friday, I would probably do maybe 6 sets close-grip to make sure I'm working my triceps due to time constraints. Again, thanks for the response.

BeRsErK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeRsErK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit BeRsErK's BodySpace
    I do it twice a week, monday and friday, but very light on friday with lots of reps.

^^^
    I think I will probably do that. I forgot to mention that we do ab workouts every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, but I guess that really has nothing to do with my question. :P

I have been looking around at some other threads, and there is a lot of interesting information here. Thanks for the responses everyone.

Rooski is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    remember if youre going to be benching on friday also that youre gonna be training it again on monday with 3 days rest. i remember in 10th grade i was in wt training and didnt know **** and i barely did anything but workout my chest lol so dont make the same mistake.

BeRsErK will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeRsErK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit BeRsErK's BodySpace
    yeah but if you do heavy on monday, you have 4 days to relax and then friday, you do light. I'm always fine the next monday. I mean it will definatly help is benching by doing it on monday and friday.

EAE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EAE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EAE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EAE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EAE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EAE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EAE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EAE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EAE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EAE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) EAE has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Check out the powerlifting forum. I think the most popular powerlifting routine ATM is Westside Barbell training, which has you performing each lift 2x per week.