bryn1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Question about German Volume Training

So I've been wanting to start doing GVT recently and I have something I'd like to ask to those who are experienced with it:

Every time I research GVT it says that you should use 60% of your one-rep max as a starting weight and should expect to reach about 7 or 8 sets before failure. There was one source that said 5 or 6 sets but that was the only one.

I did my first GVT sessions today using 60% of my 1rm (rounded down when appropriate) but was only able to get to about 4 sets on each exercise. So my question is, should I reduce the weight for the next session or just work with what I have?

Thanks
    Last edited by bryn1234; 07-10-2020 at 10:36 AM.

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bryn1234 View Post
    So I've been wanting to start doing GVT recently and I have something I'd like to ask to those who are experienced with it:

Every time I research GVT it says that you should use 60% of your one-rep max as a starting weight and should expect to reach about 7 or 8 sets before failure. There was one source that said 5 or 6 sets but that was the only one.

I did my first GVT sessions today using 60% of my 1rm (rounded down when appropriate) but was only able to get to about 4 reps on each exercise. So my question is, should I reduce the weight for the next session or just work with what I have?

Thanks
    4 reps or 4 sets?

Only being able to do 4 reps using 60% of your 1rm would be very odd.

Location: Lincolnshire, England, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000) TonedJordan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Might seem like a silly question but are you including the barbell weight when calculating the 60% of 1 RM. if your 1RMs are not high then the bar could be accounting for 50% of the weight (I.e. if your bench 1RM is 10kg plate on each side, total weight is 40kg not 20kg). You should certainly not be failing at 60% of your 1RM at 4 reps
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer."

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I did my first GVT sessions today using 60% of my 1rm (rounded down when appropriate) but was only able to get to about 4 reps on each exercise. So my question is, should I reduce the weight for the next session or just work with what I have?

Thanks
    You don't seem to know the difference between sets and reps. It's hard to tell what you're trying to say.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Reading the "Poliquin Principles" it wasn't completely clear what was meant by GVT.
    It's either a scheme based on 10 sets of 10 reps or possibly... 10*10 upper body and 5*10 lower body. Probably twice a week on each muscle, although that's a bit vague too.

You'll find programs based on both approaches. What they all have in common is doing a sh*t load of reps for a period of time. It's not sustainable (unless you lower the intensity even more) but it was intended for athletes of other sports at the start of their off season.

Depends on your goals. If you're an athlete conditioned to very high levels of work, who needs to give themselves a shock load, this could be right for you. If that's not you and your requirement it might not be right for you

I'm not saying it doesn't "work" but it works no better than other sensible programs. One thing that's guaranteed is that it will beat you up and you'll feel sore!

Try it and see if you want, but get an actual designed program based on GVT principle, don't just wing it. But when you feel beaten up... You were warned

https://www.coachmag.co.uk/free-weig...g-muscles-fast

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    GVT is not great for most people. Whether you can only hit 4 reps or 4 sets with 60% of your 1RM doesn't even matter in this context. Either way you have no business farting around with that kind of volume given your low capacity.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thanks
    GVT is for advanced athletes with a high base of strength that need to put some muscle on before the start of their competitive season. I am betting that isnt you. If you are doing 10 sets of 10 reps with much less than 200 pounds on the bar you are doing 9 warm ups sets and one working set for muscular endurance.

Originally Posted by RapidFail View Post
    4 reps or 4 sets?

Only being able to do 4 reps using 60% of your 1rm would be very odd.
    Whoops yeah my bad I meant sets. Fixed now

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    You don't seem to know the difference between sets and reps. It's hard to tell what you're trying to say.
    yeah I got them the mixed up in the last sentence. Fixed now

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    GVT is for advanced athletes with a high base of strength that need to put some muscle on before the start of their competitive season. I am betting that isnt you. If you are doing 10 sets of 10 reps with much less than 200 pounds on the bar you are doing 9 warm ups sets and one working set for muscular endurance.
    Thanks for the help. I knew GVT wasn't for beginners, but I hadn't found much in the way of how experienced you actually should be before you start doing it until now. I'll start looking for a new program

Caucasian, Bro/Brah/Bruh AlBHappy's Avatar
    AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Don't. It's horrible

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Volume is something that you need to control so that it's appropriate for your level. Simply doing a (fixed) massive load isn't going to produce massive results. Either you'll pace yourself so that exertion levels are not really high enough (inefficient) or you'l overreach fast.

Not recommended.