Plj96 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Volume ramping and hypertrophy periodization?

Hello guys, i have a question towards hypertrophy training.

I have been training for a few years now and during that time i have done programs like 5/3/1 and a few programs that has you doing linear periodisation where volume drops and intensity goes up during a mesocycle.

But the last few years there has really being a lot of research on hypertrophy training that has gotten me interested in trying a more hypertrophy focused program, and got me thinking that 5/3/1 or programs that has you decreasing volume might not be the most optimal for my goals of hypertrophy, but more towards strength.

Seeing that a lot of people advocate some type of volume ramp, where volume and intensity is being added week to week before overreaching then deload before starting over again

So most programs i have used has had some form of a more complicated periodization system that i feel is more inspired for strength then hypertrophy, like linear periodization.

The only few program that i found that uses some form of volume ramp is Lyle McDonald’s generic bulking routine and Mike Israetels hypertrophy templates. Both programs is based on starting from submaximal efforts and over 4-6 weeks trying to increase load while staying in your goal rep range, then end the cycle hopefully with an new set across PR in the overreaching week.

So what im wondering is if this type of volume ramping periodization is an good way to train for hypertrophy? That it doesnt need to be more complicated then this for hypertrophy for an intermediate or advanced lifter? That more advanced periodization methods is more needed for strength training and powerlifting, and pure hypertrophy training dont need much periodization at all? Simple volume ramping is good enough? Like in Lyles or Mikes program

Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Israetel knows his stuff.

I think it’s an effective way to program a mesocycle
    Fierce 5 novice routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

All Pros beginner routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172473

Calculating calories and macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173439001

Multivitamin Creatine Monohydrate
    Fish Oil Whey

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    5/3/1 has decreasing volume?

I thought most volume came from the accessory program which is pretty flexible. The 5/3/1 part is mainly for improving the neural component of strength.

If you aren't interested in that strength part then fair enough - but make changes for the right reasons, 5/3/1 is endlessly flexible.

Here is my take on a 5 day hypertrophy routine with volume ramping:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...3Bgoto=newpost

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    5/3/1 has decreasing volume?

I thought most volume came from the accessory program which is pretty flexible. The 5/3/1 part is mainly for improving the neural component of strength.

If you aren't interested in that strength part then fair enough - but make changes for the right reasons, 5/3/1 is endlessly flexible.

Here is my take on a 5 day hypertrophy routine with volume ramping:

Yes that true, but i have just used the templates more towards strength, i could do a 5/3/1 with more volume work, but im really interested in trying something new after so many years. I like the theory about volume ramping, its looks like something i really would enjoy.

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Plj96 View Post
    Hello guys, i have a question towards hypertrophy training.

I have been training for a few years now and during that time i have done programs like 5/3/1 and a few programs that has you doing linear periodisation where volume drops and intensity goes up during a mesocycle.

But the last few years there has really being a lot of research on hypertrophy training that has gotten me interested in trying a more hypertrophy focused program, and got me thinking that 5/3/1 or programs that has you decreasing volume might not be the most optimal for my goals of hypertrophy, but more towards strength.

Seeing that a lot of people advocate some type of volume ramp, where volume and intensity is being added week to week before overreaching then deload before starting over again

So most programs i have used has had some form of a more complicated periodization system that i feel is more inspired for strength then hypertrophy, like linear periodization.

The only few program that i found that uses some form of volume ramp is Lyle McDonald’s generic bulking routine and Mike Israetels hypertrophy templates. Both programs is based on starting from submaximal efforts and over 4-6 weeks trying to increase load while staying in your goal rep range, then end the cycle hopefully with an new set across PR in the overreaching week.

So what im wondering is if this type of volume ramping periodization is an good way to train for hypertrophy? That it doesnt need to be more complicated then this for hypertrophy for an intermediate or advanced lifter? That more advanced periodization methods is more needed for strength training and powerlifting, and pure hypertrophy training dont need much periodization at all? Simple volume ramping is good enough? Like in Lyles or Mikes program
    I'll even go as far as to say that volume ramps aren't even really needed but yes it can work. Hypertrophy honestly isn't really that complicated from a general point of view although the whole science behind it might not come to a clear consensus.

It comes to mostly down to mostly diet/nutrition, recovery, hitting sufficient amount of volume, selecting good exercises and using good form/technique, getting reasonably close to failure and having/utilizing variety when a stimulus gets stale over time (which it will). You'll hear a lot of people say that the best program is the one that you are not doing which is true in a sense. If you've never trained in a particular rep range or haven't for a very long time your body might respond in a way to meet the demands of those adaptations (hopefully more muscle). Or maybe a different exercise, utiilizing bands/chains, speed work, more volume, rest-pause work, etc.

I remember Joe Defranco on his podcast mentioning the most jacked he ever got was doing Westside with the dynamic effort/maximal effort method. Traditionally it's a program for strength but it was something drastically different from the 10-15 rep bodybuilding style splits he was doing when he was young and said the 16 weeks on it were some of the best gains of his life.

Hypertrophy imo doesn't require complicated programming, just adherence to basic principles that we know work. Developing strength, and particularly peaking strength might be a bit more tricky. But at least half your gains in strength come from size.

Thanks for the respond guys, i was thinking to try out the way Mike Israetel does it, just pretty basic starting light (4 rir) and ending (1/0 rir) deload and start over again.

Something along those lines

Squat: 3 x 6-8 reps
    Week 1: 300x8,8,7 (4rir)
    Week 2: 305x8,7,7 (3rir)
    Week 3: 310x8,7,6 (2rir)
    Week 4: 315x7,6,6 (1/0rir)
    Week 5: deload

I might add a few extra set over the cycle, probably a down set to stay in my target rep range.

So would this be an decent way to periodise my mesocycle for hypertrophy?

Originally Posted by Plj96 View Post
    Thanks for the respond guys, i was thinking to try out the way Mike Israetel does it, just pretty basic starting light (4 rir) and ending (1/0 rir) deload and start over again.

Something along those lines

Squat: 3 x 6-8 reps
    Week 1: 300x8,8,7 (4rir)
    Week 2: 305x8,7,7 (3rir)
    Week 3: 310x8,7,6 (2rir)
    Week 4: 315x7,6,6 (1/0rir)
    Week 5: deload

I might add a few extra set over the cycle, probably a down set to stay in my target rep range.

So would this be an decent way to periodise my mesocycle for hypertrophy?
    Anyone could give me an feedback on this?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    How can you give exact rep numbers and RIR at the same time? The point is that your RIR determines how many reps you get.

Also, you aren't increasing volume, it's 3 sets every time.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    How can you give exact rep numbers and RIR at the same time? The point is that your RIR determines how many reps you get.

Also, you aren't increasing volume, it's 3 sets every time.
    Its was just an example, RIR will determine how many reps i get, but i will use a weight that has me staying in a rep range while hitting the right RIR week to week.

Sets will be added during the mesocycle, but autoregulated, if recovery is fine, sets will then be added.

Its was more an example on this type off progression for hypertrophy, starting from submaximal effort, then progress by adding a little bit of weight on the bar, adding a few set and hitting the right RIR

If this is an legit way to set up an mesocycle for hypertrophy?

You might have trouble deciding if you are progressing or not due to the slightly subjective nature of RIR. Personally I prefer to keep RIR the same all the time and use reps achieved in the first set as a yardstick.

And how is volume autoregulated?