Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
    You can have passive income from retirement investments. A rental house really is no different than a dividend paying stock.
    rental house not all that passive either when shiit keeps breaking.

house is like not as much of a asset as people want to think, that roof aint getting any younger.
    do not read my posts and weep, i am not there i do not sleep
    i am the thousand greens that rep, i am the ban bet dutifully kept
    of memes and trolls in toasted breads, i am not there, i am not dead.

brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MrQuint View Post
    You have to know your expenses to answer this question. Yes I am on track, actually ahead of where I expected to be with how well the market has been doing.

People that want $2+ million saved - what retirement expenses are you projecting that you need that amount? Are those expenses worth the years of your life you will spend working instead of retiring on a smaller amount?
    Everyone plans on being in great mental and physical health their whole life....

Do you have any idea what assisted living communitues costs? Depending on level of care easily 7-10k / month.

Hopefully you never get dementia or have inability to move freely, lest you burden your children (should you have any) with either spending their life caring for you or spending an exorbitant amount to take care of you.

A thousand other things incurring expense in retirement could happen... I listed one. 1 million is nowhere near enough if you plan to live to 80.

Knowing how many people barely plan for retirement makes me wonder how many have ever actually understood their life insurance, or how complex setting up a trust can be (and necessary) simple life planning things we should all revisit from time to time.
    The only 5k I will ever complete: rep power on bb.com

brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) brianphi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AltarOfPlagues View Post

house is like not as much of a asset as people want to think, that roof aint getting any younger.

My parents had rental homes, four places, duplexes. They were a hassle and while a little profitable ... they hated having rentals and moved on to better things. It isn't bad but can be a lot more of a headache than people realize.

I want to own a paved lot with a fence where people store boats and trailers.... about as passive as it gets for real estate with cash flow ?
    The only 5k I will ever complete: rep power on bb.com

Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by AltarOfPlagues View Post

I have 2 brother in laws that swear by the retirement plan of having a bunch of paid off rental places, bringing in "passive income". The thing is, if these places were paid off the ROI after expenses is probably around 8-9% not even accounting for the headache.

I say this as someone who owns a rental property in the same city as them. It's a way, but its not the only way.

xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by brianphi View Post
    My parents had rental homes, four places, duplexes. They were a hassle and while a little profitable ... they hated having rentals and moved on to better things. It isn't bad but can be a lot more of a headache than people realize.

I want to own a paved lot with a fence where people store boats and trailers.... about as passive as it gets for real estate with cash flow ?
    I'm about to rent out my place. I'll prob net $300 in profit at best but I'm looking to move into a place that will be free, so worst case I'm just not paying for my house anymore.

Trying to finish college and it's expensive as fuark so I have no choice.
    ***MISC CIGAR CREW***

Awkward ab genetics crew

Too many crews to include in signature crew

Poverty Lifts:
    B - 200 (5X5)
    S - 265 (5X5)
    OHP - 125 (5X5)

MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    On track to have a bumpless transfer to retirement at 55.

40yrs old
    Currently have 3x my gross income invested in tax sheltered accounts.
    DB pension of 30% of gross income at 55
    Federal pensions will be ~$15k/yr in between ages 60-65.

Invest early young fellas, can't stress that enough.
    Do you have any good sources that teach you about different retirement options?

xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xMetalocalypse is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    On track to have a bumpless transfer to retirement at 55.

40yrs old
    Currently have 3x my gross income invested in tax sheltered accounts.
    DB pension of 30% of gross income at 55
    Federal pensions will be ~$15k/yr in between ages 60-65.

Invest early young fellas, can't stress that enough.

Is ~200k at 25 in a 401k and ~15k in a roth a good start at 25? Srs I know little about retirement besides investing early. I have no pension or the like.
    ***MISC CIGAR CREW***

Awkward ab genetics crew

Poverty Lifts:
    B - 200 (5X5)
    S - 265 (5X5)
    OHP - 125 (5X5)

MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

This is what I'm thinking. Something like a parking garage. The less you have to deal with people, the better.

I wonder what the potential of this lot. It's right by Midway Airport and the price isn't too bad if you were to put down 20%. I imagine You'd need damn near a $500,000 loan to get it set up though

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/5920...go-IL/3796759/

guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Storage facility for RV's/Boats/Trailers (Can even have a tin roof to keep sun/rain off them). And a trailer park is about as good as it gets for cash flow. Assuming you have enough land to park 24 trailers/mobile homes on it and you charge $250.00 per month for people to live there. Its an easy 6K per month. You're really only responsible for the maintenance/upkeep of the property. All of the structures are privately owned. If you have a strong lease agreement and make sure people only have new structures, skirting, maintain their lot, etc. you keep riff-raff out. Assuming you pay a property management company 1K per month its 5K completely passive per month.

Also owning a few small businesses that you pay people to run isn't a bad idea either. I was helping out an older guy awhile back and going through his financials. He owns a few pizza shops and donuts shops. As a completely passive venture now in his retirement he makes around 20-30K per month from them as he pays people to manage/run them. Ton's of other small businesses that can be started, built up, then you hire employees to handle once its stable. Most people are just too lazy to have a side venture on top of their full time job.

My goal is 150K per year passive income to retire. Sounds unachieveable to a young person but if you factor in 30 years worth of working towards that goal, investing, etc. its very do-able.

Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Frank Drebin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by xMetalocalypse View Post
    Is ~200k at 25 in a 401k and ~15k in a roth a good start at 25? Srs I know little about retirement besides investing early. I have no pension or the like.
    lol yes bruh that is very very good. At a reasonable rate of return for the next 30 years (6.5%) you will have 1.4m in todays dollars at age 55.

If you don't invest another GD dime for the rest of your life you can count on a $60,000+ lifetime pension at 55.

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by FrankCostanza View Post
    What’s he do?
    thermal engineer, deals with a lot of nasty chemicals, hangs off rafters, just dangerous stuff (in the last 6 months one guy stepped in water that had live wires and another got his legs squashed by a falling 1000 bar/pole so they retire fairly early with 90% pay from the union like how fire fighter retire by 50,
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

Originally Posted by MikeLowrrrey View Post
    Do you have any good sources that teach you about different retirement options?
    All I know is that I don't know much. srs. Invest early, invest heavy in boring assed S&P ETF's and just wait. Keep an eye on bubbles (crypto, metals, housing etc) and invest a small amount if you want to gamble but don't stray from the tried and true path.

RudeKong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RudeKong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RudeKong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RudeKong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RudeKong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RudeKong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RudeKong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RudeKong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RudeKong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RudeKong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RudeKong is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There are so many variables you can really get lost in it. The best plan I think to work for is pay off all your debt, put 15% in a 401k, max ROTH, have 6th months salary saved and put a little extra off your mortgage if you can to pay it off as early as possible. After that enjoy life within reason. There is always going to be ways to bring in extra cash when you're older if you are in dire straits.

"If you can't buy back your youth when you're old then what's the use of silver and gold?"

Just my personal philosophy. I also plan to plop a casita on my kids residence and help raise grandchildren when I'm older so guess not everyone has the same plans for the future.
    hard to hate on a fellow wings fan but....

i need to cut... badly.

MrQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MrQuint has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Everyone plans on being in great mental and physical health their whole life....

Do you have any idea what assisted living communitues costs? Depending on level of care easily 7-10k / month.

Hopefully you never get dementia or have inability to move freely, lest you burden your children (should you have any) with either spending their life caring for you or spending an exorbitant amount to take care of you.

A thousand other things incurring expense in retirement could happen... I listed one. 1 million is nowhere near enough if you plan to live to 80.

Knowing how many people barely plan for retirement makes me wonder how many have ever actually understood their life insurance, or how complex setting up a trust can be (and necessary) simple life planning things we should all revisit from time to time.

You bring up some good points. Yes there are a million things that could happen but if you try to plan for them all you may never retire.

The National Center for Assisted Living lists the average median cost of a single bedroom assisted living apartment in the US at $3700 a month and the majority of people in those facilities are 85+.

FIRECalc gives $1 million at a 4% withdrawal rate an 85% chance to last 40 years, 95% chance to last 30 years. If you actually stuck with the 4% you're likely to die with even more than you retired with.
    Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women.
    Vybz Kartel crew

All I know is that I don't know much. srs. Invest early, invest heavy in boring assed S&P ETF's and just wait. Keep an eye on bubbles (crypto, metals, housing etc) and invest a small amount if you want to gamble but don't stray from the tried and true path.
    I definitely want to try the stock market. Just hoping I can find that 'netflix' stock one day and make huge gains.

katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I've read that the odds are pretty much 50/50 that you will need to be in a nursing facility if you live long enough and the average stay before dying is 2 years with a current average cost of $225K per year.
    INTP Crew
    Inattentive ADD Crew
    Mom That Miscs Crew

Beararms has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Beararms has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Beararms has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Beararms has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Beararms has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Beararms has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Beararms has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Beararms has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Beararms has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Beararms has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Beararms has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by MikeLowrrrey View Post
    This is what I'm thinking. Something like a parking garage. The less you have to deal with people, the better.

I wonder what the potential of this lot. It's right by Midway Airport and the price isn't too bad if you were to put down 20%. I imagine You'd need damn near a $500,000 loan to get it set up though

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/5920...go-IL/3796759/
    My wifes father does this, lives near a big lake on the Ten/Ky border. He rents out storages for rich/wealthy boat owners. He makes a crap ton of money, more than he knows what to do with.

Leonydus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Leonydus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Leonydus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Leonydus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Leonydus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Leonydus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Leonydus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Leonydus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Leonydus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Leonydus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Leonydus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    lul if u think america not gonna be socialist **** hole by the time you retire. have fun squirrelling away money thats just gonna get taxed 100% or be completey worthless in 40 years

JStrez has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JStrez has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JStrez has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JStrez has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JStrez has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JStrez has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JStrez has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JStrez has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JStrez has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JStrez has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JStrez has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I maxed out my 401k the second I got one and it's been exploding, I'll easily have over a million and I'll be gunning for more.
    *Mechanical Engineering Crew*
    *6'3" Master Race Crew*
    *6 Figs Crew*

"Because the thing about repairing, maintaining, and cleaning is it’s not an adventure. There’s no way to do it so wrong you might die. It’s just work. And the bottom line is, some people are okay going to work, and some people … well, some people would rather die. Each of us gets to choose.”

redwine91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redwine91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redwine91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redwine91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redwine91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redwine91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redwine91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redwine91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redwine91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redwine91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) redwine91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BigDeeps01 View Post
    I imagine it'll take me until I'm 40 ish

Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    own modest house outright
    property tax is only slowly creeping up ($205/mo now)
    no other debt

i feel pretty good about where I am
    I've worked for this company for 14 years in april
    gonna keep going until it goes under and then at the very least take 5 years off

i wouldn't mind having a part time job forever where i wasn't tied to a desk
    Make Europe Germany Again

AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AltarOfPlagues has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

my pops do timber land but he got it from my gramps. if you had to do it from nothin here it's only like 3 or 4% return depending on a ton of factors. the tax on 100 ac is like 500 dollars bc its agricultural. the pay is something like 1000 an acre at 25 -30 years maturity on pine trees (overgeneralizing again).

theres one or two rounds of thinning that pays too

it is not a great investment but it is actually fun bc u can camp on it, build a house if you want, hunt on it etc.

i hunt it all winter and take my boys out there to camp
    do not read my posts and weep, i am not there i do not sleep
    i am the thousand greens that rep, i am the ban bet dutifully kept
    of memes and trolls in toasted breads, i am not there, i am not dead.

Originally Posted by Leonydus View Post
    lul if u think america not gonna be socialist **** hole by the time you retire. have fun squirrelling away money thats just gonna get taxed 100% or be completey worthless in 40 years
    Legitimate fear of mine.

Too old to get the benefit of free college, and then I'll be the old rich person who gets taxed to hell.
    ***MISC CIGAR CREW***

Awkward ab genetics crew

Poverty Lifts:
    B - 200 (5X5)
    S - 265 (5X5)
    OHP - 125 (5X5)

andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Take your annual expenditures and multiply them by the number of years you want to live in retirement.

Basic math. 2nd grade or so.

We spend about £25,000 per year.
    £1,000,000 will give us about 40 years.
    Last edited by andy0w; 01-16-2020 at 12:07 PM.
    Cycling, walking, swimming.
    No car.

Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Ratfish has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by andy0w View Post
    Take your annual expenditures and multiply them by the number of years you want to live in retirement.

fortunately, inflation doesn't exist
    Make Europe Germany Again

Holee fuk I don't know where to start

Pretty sure it's not that easy LOL, a lot can change in 40 years.

According to this calculator 1,000,000 in 1980 would have the same buying power as $3,303,007.71 today.

https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc...1&year2=201912

yeshli2nuts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yeshli2nuts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yeshli2nuts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yeshli2nuts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yeshli2nuts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yeshli2nuts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yeshli2nuts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yeshli2nuts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yeshli2nuts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yeshli2nuts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) yeshli2nuts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think I'm in a good spot, taking after my parents as role models...

Dad was a mechanical engineer then moved into the business side (retired as VP of large manufacturing company but I don't think ever got above $200,000/yr), mom was a preschool teacher who never made more than $40,000/yr. Growing up I lived very modest, my parents were very frugal and my dad was very much into saving for retirement. They both retired by 60 with about $2 million in various accounts.

My wife and I have a mortgage on our house with already about $100,000 in principal (and about $340,000 left on the loan), we have automatic payments of $1,000 a month into index funds with about $50,000 total in them now, we have over $100,000 in our 401ks, and another $30,000 in savings accounts as our rainy day fund. I think we're in good shape to retire by 60 (I'm 32, she's 28). The key to our lives is not paying for stuff we don't need and not paying people to do things we can do ourself and not caring about the Jones's. We live in a nice neighborhood in South Florida and I'm pretty sure we're the only ones that don't have a landscaper, don't have a pool boy, and don't have a cleaning lady, because we do all of that shyt ourself which probably saves us a few hundred dollars a month.
    Never neg first but always neg back crew

knightofday has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) knightofday has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) knightofday has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) knightofday has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) knightofday has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) knightofday has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) knightofday has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) knightofday has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) knightofday has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) knightofday has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) knightofday has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Leonydus View Post
    Not gonna lie, I am very worried about this in all honesty.

Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Dan_S has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    It's all about your expenses.

I'll pass this link on, as I originally discovered MMM through Misc a little over 5 years ago and we're probably 2 years from retirement now.

The Shockingly Simple Math Behind Early Retirement