Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

First Rep of Flat Barbell Bench Press is harder than subsequent reps!!

Anyone else have this problem?

I've had this problem since I hit 165 lbs on the bench press. First rep is super slow and difficult, taking like 75% of my energy, then the following reps are clean and easy (until the last one of course). Its really annoying cause I feel like id be able to do at least 2-3 more reps if I didnt have this problem. I tried getting over this by dead-benching (benching off the pins) but that doesn't help much.

I hit 215 today but was barely able to do 3 reps cause that first rep looked like I was attempting a 1 rep max lol. Then on the second set I wasnt even able to get the first rep up!

I know my form is good cause I've watched so many videos on it and even had people watch me. I also warm up with lighter weight and multiple sets for a good 5-7 minutes, but never to the point of fatiguing myself before my working sets.

Is it just a mental block for that first rep and then I get into the groove of things? But then why does this happen on the first rep of EVERY set?

Interestingly enough, this never happens when im doing incline barbell bench press, only flat.

The heavier the weight, the greater the effect of this problem. I will still feel it at 185 lbs for example, but not to the same degree.

Anyone have a way to get over this hump? I don't see anyone else in the gym with this problem. I watch other people bench and their first rep looks just like the following ones.

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm like you, and I suffered with this forever.

Even when I was squatting and deadlifting 500+, I'd unrack 225 (where I could rep it out no problem) and it'd always feels much more heavy than it is.

For me, most of it was psychological. I started asking for spots more often, and that initial "oh **** this is heavy" began to go away. The fear of not being able to dump it had an affect.

I also found that (unlike my squat and deadlift progression) working with reps (5-8 approx) for a good amount of sets gives me the best progress. I need a lot more volume for the bench.

Take it seriously. As serious as you would if you were unracking a 1RM squat.

I think you'll progress nicely with this in mind.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you losing tightness in your setup when you unrack the weight?

Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atlas70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by FurtadoZ9 View Post
    I'm like you, and I suffered with this forever.

Even when I was squatting and deadlifting 500+, I'd unrack 225 (where I could rep it out no problem) and it'd always feels much more heavy than it is.

For me, most of it was psychological. I started asking for spots more often, and that initial "oh **** this is heavy" began to go away. The fear of not being able to dump it had an affect.

I also found that (unlike my squat and deadlift progression) working with reps (5-8 approx) for a good amount of sets gives me the best progress. I need a lot more volume for the bench.

Take it seriously. As serious as you would if you were unracking a 1RM squat.

I think you'll progress nicely with this in mind.
    I ALWAYS have a spotter for my heavy days so fear of not being able to dump the weight is never a problem. I got to 205 for 6 reps with this problem. With 215 I should have been able to get 4-5 at least, but barely got that 3rd rep cause I wasted all my energy trying to get that first rep in. Should I just wait until I can do 7-8 clean reps before adding 10 lbs to the bar?

Nope, not at all. Like I said, my form is always on point.

FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FurtadoZ9 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Atlas70 View Post
    I ALWAYS have a spotter for my heavy days so fear of not being able to dump the weight is never a problem. I got to 205 for 6 reps with this problem. With 215 I should have been able to get 4-5 at least, but barely got that 3rd rep cause I wasted all my energy trying to get that first rep in. Should I just wait until I can do 7-8 clean reps before adding 10 lbs to the bar?
    Everyone responds differently. You might need more rep work. Might need to change your programming approach. Adjust volume, frequency, ect. Unlike squat / dead, I've found bench to have the greatest variability in terms of what works for consistent progression.

What is your current routine?

Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Allm1ght has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Most likely causes imo

1. Your unrack is poor
    2. You don't do enough warm up sets with bench
    3. Fear of new weight

Video of benching work sets would be useful

Everyone responds differently. You might need more rep work. Might need to change your programming approach. Adjust volume, frequency, ect. Unlike squat / dead, I've found bench to have the greatest variability in terms of what works for consistent progression.

What is your current routine?
    My current routine is benching twice a week, one for hypertrophy (8-12 reps), and one for strength (4-6 reps). Like I said, I feel the effect on both days but much more on heavier days.

Originally Posted by Allm1ght View Post
    Most likely causes imo

1. Your unrack is poor
    3. Fear of new weight

I doubt its 1 and 2. But anyway to overcome 3? Should I do static holds of heavier weight in order to get used to it?

My current routine is benching twice a week, one for hypertrophy (8-12 reps), and one for strength (4-6 reps). Like I said, I feel the effect on both days but much more on heavier days.
    Programming seems sound.

Roughly what RPE are you performing the sets (reps left)? Recovering well?

Programming seems sound.

Roughly what RPE are you performing the sets (reps left)? Recovering well?
    For the heavy days I have a spotter so I go to failure on every set (0 reps left in the tank). On hypertrophy days I'll try and get a spotter for the first 1 or 2 sets (in which case I'll go to failure with 0 reps left in the tank), and do the remaining 2 sets with 1 rep left in the tank.

For the heavy days I have a spotter so I go to failure on every set (0 reps left in the tank). On hypertrophy days I'll try and get a spotter for the first 1 or 2 sets (in which case I'll go to failure with 0 reps left in the tank), and do the remaining 2 sets with 1 rep left in the tank.
    There it is

On heavy day, leave at least a rep left on all your sets. If anything, you can work up to one top set (first) and go failure, then 3-4 back off sets with 2 reps left on each one.

Or

Go to failure on last set, if you're doing volume work. But first 3 sets or so leave some reps left.

Consistent failure will drive your recovery into the ground.

There it is

On heavy day, leave at least a rep left on all your sets. If anything, you can work up to one top set (first) and go failure, then 3-4 back off sets with 2 reps left on each one.

Or

Go to failure on last set, if you're doing volume work. But first 3 sets or so leave some reps left.

Consistent failure will drive your recovery into the ground.
    Is this really the problem? I mean I'll try it cause I have nothing else left to try, but I don't understand how something like this could cause the specific problem that I have.

But I'll implement this for sure. On heavy days I'll go to failure on the first set, then on the last 3 sets I'll leave one rep in the tank. On volume days I'll leave 1 rep in the tank on every set, except for once in a while when I wanna go to failure on that first or second set. Hows that sound?

Is this really the problem? I mean I'll try it cause I have nothing else left to try, but I don't understand how something like this could cause the specific problem that I have.

But I'll implement this for sure. On heavy days I'll go to failure on the first set, then on the last 3 sets I'll leave one rep in the tank. On volume days I'll leave 1 rep in the tank on every set, except for once in a while when I wanna go to failure on that first or second set. Hows that sound?
    Perfect. I would even err on the side of more reps left, but try that. As you'll probably end up pushing yourself anyway.

Yes I know it sounds counter intuitive. But trust me your progress will begin to fly.

Hopefully others will chime in and reinforce.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I often have issues on the first rep too. usually on bench, incline, squats.

for me I think it is because i am 52 yrs old lol. So as I lower the weight on that first rep I am like "ok, is anything gonna really hurt as i bring this down?" hehe.

But I also think it is about finding the right amount of internal pressure (breath holding etc)

So like on squats, even if its not a super heavy set, on my first rep down its more like "painting by numbers" and trying to find the right mechanics etc and also there is almost always a loud exhale and a slight grimaced 'ahhh' so it might sound like i am in pain. But after that i usually rep away etc

I assume it has some to do with the fact that starting position for the first rep will NOT be the exact same as for the next reps. Also it could have to do with central nervous system excitation.

on benches (and maybe squat I guess) one can experiment with "pulling the bar down" which is just a fancy way of saying to stay really tight by using the opposing muscle groups to where it feels almost like you are pulling the bar down with your back while resisting with the pushing muscles.
    "Humility comes before honor"

Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Allm1ght View Post
    Most likely causes imo

1. Your unrack is poor
    3. Fear of new weight

It's likely this. What's helped me a lot lately is working on getting a tight setup and then also doing a few sets with just the bar and a few sets at like 95-135. Doing all those light sets allows me to find the positions I feel strong in.
    Recent best lifts
    Bench - 225x13, 235x9, 250x5, 280x1
    Squat - 295x10, 340x5, 375x1
    Deadlift - 430x12, 450x9, 485x5, 515x1
    OHP - 150x11, 170x6, 185x2, 190x1
    3 mile run: 21:59 @ 170 bw.
    BW - 195 Getting fat mode
    531 Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177172201&page=6

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The first rep (and last rep if gone to failure obviously) of everything is harder for me somehow, but bench press especially is something I can’t figure out how to work around. It’s 100% the eccentric phase after liftoff. I end up lowering the bar too slowly because I feel as though my elbow and/or shoulder is about to be compromised (hard to tell, I’m 100% focused on bringing it down). Might be screwing me out of a rep or 2 later in the set...

My deadlift form is always poorer on the first rep, squat not as deep etc. it’s pretty strange.

Daliceo is not very well liked. (-100) Daliceo is not very well liked. (-100) Daliceo is not very well liked. (-100) Daliceo is not very well liked. (-100) Daliceo is not very well liked. (-100) Daliceo is not very well liked. (-100) Daliceo is not very well liked. (-100) Daliceo is not very well liked. (-100) Daliceo is not very well liked. (-100) Daliceo is not very well liked. (-100) Daliceo is not very well liked. (-100)
    I too have this problem with a lot of my lifts but I honestly think it is all psychological in my case.

Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have this problem on my sumo DL.

I either can't get the weight off the floor or I can do 5 reps with it.

Kinda cool being able to do 5 reps with my 1rm... But also not cool at the same time. Best of luck to you
    Recent best lifts
    Bench - 225x13, 235x9, 250x5, 280x1
    Squat - 295x10, 340x5, 375x1
    Deadlift - 430x12, 450x9, 485x5, 515x1
    OHP - 150x11, 170x6, 185x2, 190x1
    3 mile run: 21:59 @ 170 bw.
    BW - 195 Getting fat mode
    531 Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177172201&page=6

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I get this and don’t fully understand it. I’ve benched 185 and the first rep was tough , but the next set it seemed much easier .
    I’ve also had the opposite happen .One time I benched 225 and the first rep felt so light it was like I was only benching the bar .
    Wish I knew exactly what occurred that particular time . Was it how much rest I had between that particular chest day , or the food I consumed that week .

I did notice a few times that if I finished my last set as heavy as possible,that the next time I did chest it seemed much lighter .
    If I did high reps low weight the opposite happened. Everything felt terribly heavy the next time
    Make Misc great again