Boyes50 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weight Loss - What's Right, What's Wrong, How to Tell (BMI vs Height to Waist?)

Hi Everyone,

Male
    6'5"
    253lbs Currently
    36 Waist
    34 Inseam

Posted in the Workout Section yesterday, but feel there are probably some good opinions and information in this forum as well.

Over the course of the last 18 months, I have been on a weight loss and healthy lifestyle change. Originally starting at 305, I brought myself down to 260lbs for the wedding in January of 2019, mostly through healthier eating choices and some cardio. However, over the course of Summer 2019, I began to fall into some bad habits again and wound up back towards 275lbs. Of course, all my new clothes began to become snug, my 40 waist jeans became tighter again, and I was discouraged that I was losing my progress. Fast forward to October 2019, and I decide it's time to really put my fitness at the forefront. When I was down to 260lbs, I felt great and began wearing clothes much more fitted.

Since October, I have been actively tracking my diet on MyFitnessPal, and am in the gym 5 days per week. I'm not doing much, much more strength training, and I'm noticing major changes to my body, especially my upper body. I am down to 253lbs, and have finally fit into a pair of 36 Jeans comfortably and with lots of room.

My question is, my doctor has been happy with my weight loss, but continues to go back to his BMI chart. He tells me that at 6'5", and even with my broad shoulders and recent muscle gain and continued workouts, I should be down under 200lbs (180lbs by his chart). I feel that at 6'5" and 36 Waist, I am really starting to get to the point where my weight would be considered "Healthy" or at minimum "Slightly Overweight", but he continues to classify my weight as obese. Of course, I realize these are just classifications, but I feel I don't have another 50lbs to lose.

What and/or how do you tell what your goal is? I have been floating between 253 and 256 for about 3-4 weeks now, and am actively working out daily and doing cardio again as well. My calorie intake is in a significant deficit, and I am staying under my Macro Targets.

Any help and/or insight would be greatly appreciated! I know this is just the start of my body transformation, but I do feel like I've already done a lot of the weight loss, rather than being just "halfway" there!

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Boyes50 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Male
    6'5"
    253lbs Currently
    36 Waist
    34 Inseam

Posted in the Workout Section yesterday, but feel there are probably some good opinions and information in this forum as well.

Over the course of the last 18 months, I have been on a weight loss and healthy lifestyle change. Originally starting at 305, I brought myself down to 260lbs for the wedding in January of 2019, mostly through healthier eating choices and some cardio. However, over the course of Summer 2019, I began to fall into some bad habits again and wound up back towards 275lbs. Of course, all my new clothes began to become snug, my 40 waist jeans became tighter again, and I was discouraged that I was losing my progress. Fast forward to October 2019, and I decide it's time to really put my fitness at the forefront. When I was down to 260lbs, I felt great and began wearing clothes much more fitted.

Since October, I have been actively tracking my diet on MyFitnessPal, and am in the gym 5 days per week. I'm not doing much, much more strength training, and I'm noticing major changes to my body, especially my upper body. I am down to 253lbs, and have finally fit into a pair of 36 Jeans comfortably and with lots of room.

My question is, my doctor has been happy with my weight loss, but continues to go back to his BMI chart. He tells me that at 6'5", and even with my broad shoulders and recent muscle gain and continued workouts, I should be down under 200lbs (180lbs by his chart). I feel that at 6'5" and 36 Waist, I am really starting to get to the point where my weight would be considered "Healthy" or at minimum "Slightly Overweight", but he continues to classify my weight as obese. Of course, I realize these are just classifications, but I feel I don't have another 50lbs to lose.

What and/or how do you tell what your goal is? I have been floating between 253 and 256 for about 3-4 weeks now, and am actively working out daily and doing cardio again as well. My calorie intake is in a significant deficit, and I am staying under my Macro Targets.

Any help and/or insight would be greatly appreciated! I know this is just the start of my body transformation, but I do feel like I've already done a lot of the weight loss, rather than being just "halfway" there!
    Based on standard BMI, the maximum healthy weight at 6'5" is 211lb. However, BMI doesn't work well for very tall or very short people. I agree it is very unlikely you are obese, probably just slightly overweight. 180lb at 6'5 would be really skinny, you definitely don't want to go that low.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181179323&p=1658333353#post1658333353

Height: 185cm (6'1")
    Weight: 79.3kg (175lb)

Personal best lifts
    Bench - 6 x 65kg (143lb), 8 x 62.5kg (138lb)
    Bent Over Row - 10 x 70kg (154lb)
    Front squat - 5 x 67.5kg (149lb)
    Back squat - 1 x 95kg (209lb), 8 x 77.5kg (171lb)
    RDL - 9 x 87.5kg (193lb)
    Deadlift - 6 x 107.5kg (237lb)
    Overhead Press - 6 x 40kg (88lb)
    Chin Ups - 7 x bodyweight + 12.5kg (27.5lb), 14 x b.weight

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    BMI is always a piece of schat for anyone who has been lifting for a long time.

I wrestled from K-Junior year of college. Lifted from about 13 through age 24 before becoming a lazy phuck for a while. My last year of wrestling BMI told me I was obese. I'm 5'6 and at the time was about 171 lbs but you could see four abs and when I cut to 165 you'd see all of them.

If you are an average height person that's not athletic in any way it might mean something but if not probably not.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    BMI and body fat percentages are useless numbers. Look in the mirror for guidance
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    BMI doesn’t work well if you are a “big” tall person in my experience.

I am 6’3” about 225# currently. 34-36x34 pants size. IMO i am just slightly overweight. Working on that now. But even down to 205-210 I would still be overweight according to BMI, but will have 4 abs showing.

I wouldn’t worry with that BMI crap and just get where you want to be.