sw117751 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Forearm pain - tennis elbow (not sure)

Hi everyone. I was a keen lifter, but regrettably last year I started getting a sharp pain in my forearm while performing bicep curls. Fast forward one year of rest and now I get an ache across the whole or some of my forearm randomly throughout the day. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it tendinitis? What can I do to treat it?

Registered User ProgrammerHunch's Avatar
    ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sw117751 View Post
    Hi everyone. I was a keen lifter, but regrettably last year I started getting a sharp pain in my forearm while performing bicep curls. Fast forward one year of rest and now I get an ache across the whole or some of my forearm randomly throughout the day. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it tendinitis? What can I do to treat it?
    I kind of messed up my wrists doing wrist and bicep curls for years. Tendonitis, arthritis, forearm splints, etc. There was pretty much no way I could do them safely. I discovered I didn't really need to do them anyway, since I was doing compound barbell lifts. I stopped doing them about 6 months ago, and my wrists have very slowly healed. They are mostly better now, and I found I can actually curl more than when I was actually curling on a regular basis.

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ProgrammerHunch View Post
    I kind of messed up my wrists doing wrist and bicep curls for years. Tendonitis, arthritis, forearm splints, etc. There was pretty much no way I could do them safely. I discovered I didn't really need to do them anyway, since I was doing compound barbell lifts. I stopped doing them about 6 months ago, and my wrists have very slowly healed. They are mostly better now, and I found I can actually curl more than when I was actually curling on a regular basis.
    I did all the compounds with a barbell imaginable and after few years still had skinny-ass forearms. No difference.
    Now that I am doing all kinds of wirst curls, I see some progress although I need more time to confirm the effectiveness.

Just sayin.

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we4UoiKG3Co

Eccentrics are the way to cure tendinitis

Registered User ProgrammerHunch's Avatar
    ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by HeMB View Post
    I did all the compounds with a barbell imaginable and after few years still had skinny-ass forearms. No difference.
    Now that I am doing all kinds of wirst curls, I see some progress although I need more time to confirm the effectiveness.

Just sayin.
    I would think holding a heavy ass bar like with a Deadlift would work your forearms plenty.

But if not, there are safer ways to work the wrists. Like with heavy duty grippers, wrist rollers, etc.

Literally tried a billion different variations of wrist curls for years. Eventually they would all destroy my wrist slowly over time.

goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodworkouts will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sw117751 View Post
    I was affected by forearm pain earlier this year and then I recovered from it so I will try to help. I could never tell you everything you need to know all in one post but I will include as much information as I can and you could always ask me further questions to clarify anything.

I have gotten forearm pain from lifting. One important thing to ask is, where in the forearm is your pain? Is it on the inside or the outside?

My forearm pain was always on the inner elbow. That means there is inflammation on the tendons that connect the forearm to the inner elbow. It's also possible to get it on the outer elbow. Golfer's elbow is on the inner elbow and tennis elbow is on the outer elbow.

Do you have small hands? If you have smaller hands than it will stress your forearms a lot more to grip the same amount of weight. I have small hands so even using chalk was not enough support for my grip. I use lifting straps now and I can tell it makes a big difference in keeping my forearm pain at bay.

I know not everyone is a fan of lifting straps but this has been my experience. Because my hands are small, I still get a lot of forearm work even with the lifting straps.

Another thing that helped me a ton is ice. Once I started using ice on my elbow, not to mention other affected areas like my shoulders, I saw a ton of improvements. So just get an ice pack and press it into all the different areas of your forearm near where it connects to the Elbow. Outside and inside. I usually do that while I'm watching a movie or something else where I don't need to use my hands.

Also I started this forearm rehab work out about 8 months ago.
    Wrist curls
    Wrist extensions
    Reverse grip EZ bar curl
    Radial deviation
    Ulnar deviation
    Wrist pronation with cable
    Wrist supination with cable

Look up videos on YouTube about any of those lifts to learn more. I found out about them by watching hours and hours of YouTube videos about elbow pain. I think it's important to educate yourself and learn as much as possible because there are so many different nuances and the way one person explain something might help more then a different person's explanation.

You could also do a manual Release Technique by digging your thumb or knuckle into the forearm. Make sure not to hurt yourself, just do enough to get kind of a massage feeling. Then afterward it's good to do some stretches. Do some research on how to stretch your forearms and find out what works for you but if the injury is still very fresh then don't jump right into stretching.

I actually did this trick in my early recovery where I made a makeshift cast for my hand out of a glove. Then instead of putting my fingers through the glove holes I would actually use the glove to keep all my fingers shut. So that takes all the pressure off of those forearm tendons and let the forearm muscles totally relax for extended periods of time. That made a huge difference.

On biceps exercises and triceps exercises make sure to use a grip angle that is natural and comfortable. For example I use an EZ bar or dumbbells instead of a barbell on biceps. Or on triceps I never use a Palms down grip. I pretty much always use a hammer grip. Sometimes I use a hammer grip with a teeny tiny bit of pronation.

I hope this helped a bit. The first thing you probably need to do is just get some complete rest without really messing with anything. Then you can start doing the forearm routine really light. To give you some perspective on how long recovery will take, my inner elbow pain flared up around November of 2018. It held me back from lifting until about February of 2019.

Then the recovery stuff started kicking in and I was back to 100% lifting by April of 2019. Since April of this year I have not been held back by elbow pain at all. But I also continue to do these recovery techniques as part of my weekly lifting routines.

DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000)
    Forearm pain may be radial tunnel syndrome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Xhj9KA_ZY&t=940s

Forearm pain may be golfers or tennis elbow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi_CDjF_2b0&t=68s
    http://www.hollandreflexology.com/