user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Berardi & Nutrition

A major component of athletics is what you eat. What you eat can determine how well you do on the field.Here are some links to help with nutritional goals like bulking and cutting, as well as information about post workout shakes:

Night Time Nutrition:
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...on/bedtime.htm

"Cheat" Meals:
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...ion/damage.htm

Endurance nutrition for marathon or long lasting races:
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/.../endeating.htm

Lean Eatin 1&2
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...aneating_1.htm
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...aneating_2.htm

Bulking
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...sseating_1.htm
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...sseating_2.htm

Bulking Calculator:
    http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/j...calculator.htm

PWO shake:
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...n/puzzle_1.htm
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...n/puzzle_2.htm

Other articles concerning nutrition:
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/index.htm

Monti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Very usefull links, thanks.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    still dont agree with the post workout...

dildo69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Scott why dont u agree with the post-workout? What would u recommend for an athlete (not bodybuilder) p/w?

I see ur from Aberdeen...........Hows the sheep?!

Sorry, sorry i couldnt resist, a low blow.
    Bo selecta!

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz

**** me, that was a long read, certainly a controversial topic thats been around quite a few boards recently. I have to say though im definatley leaning towards the low G.I argument.

Plus the fact that berardi is just trying to promote biotest causes him to lose credability.

Im off to cook me some oats!
    Bo selecta!

user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by dildo69
    **** me, that was a long read, certainly a controversial topic thats been around quite a few boards recently. I have to say though im definatley leaning towards the low G.I argument.

Plus the fact that berardi is just trying to promote biotest causes him to lose credability.

Im off to cook me some oats!
    Ok yes I agree, he writes articles for t-mag, which is owned by biotest. So there is a connection there, but you have to realize, he is writing his dissertation (for phd) on pwo effectiveness with his recommended guidelines. Still think its all hype? If you can bring up a study that says low GI is better, please show it to me. Otherwise the argument is kind of one-ended, considering my article has 28 references at the bottom of the article referring to the topic, and all you have is a thread with people giving anecdotal evidence.

There are plenty of studies in that thread!!!!!!! And its not a case of what is better, they both have there strong points.

I do like a lot of john berardi's stuff, but its not that he writes for t-mag that puts me off its the fact that hes actualy trying to push a specific product (surge) in his article, in p/w articles afterwards and in interviews.

This is his summary to the response when asked if u could make ur own.

"So my final response to your question is that while I obviously favor the Biotest formula, you could always try whipping up your own batch at home according to some of the recommendations we've made in previous articles. But the drawbacks are that you actually may pay more, you'll probably hate the taste of your concoction, and you won't be able to duplicate the exact ratios used in the research."

You actually pay more!!! Thats complete ****in bull****, i can easily make the same thing for much cheaper than biotests formula, and i live in the u.k, its prob even cheaper to do in the u.s. And u can duplicate the exact ratios no problem, this is just another blatant lie.

Its things like that, that make me question this article.

And u talk about the 28 refrences, half of them are from tests done on endurance athletes! And it is littered with refrences like these

"Endurance athletes have traditionally been encouraged to consume 1.2 g of carbohydrate per kg of body weight immediately after training/competition (8,10). In addition, they are encouraged to continue this supplementation every 2 hours up until 6 hours after their exercise bout. Recent evidence, however, indicates that the addition of protein to a carb drink can actually increase insulin levels higher than carbs alone (11,12)."

Theres 4 of ur refrences right there and not a mention of high G.I carbs. If u read it u will realise there is very few maybe 4 or 5 refrences that actually tie in with high G.I and post workout.

It is full of refrences like the one below

"This situation, however, isn't as quickly reversible as it is in our muscle heads. In these athletes there remains a large negative protein balance for 8 hours or more after endurance exercise (2)."

This has absoloutly nothing to do with high G.I carbs p/w.

My point is the fact it has 28 references doesnt mean agreat deal. Especially since most are on endurance athletes or nothing to do with high G.I p/w.
    Last edited by dildo69; 10-15-2003 at 04:41 PM.
    Bo selecta!

I didnt originally want to start an argument, and you are right, that thread did have sources in it, but I quit reading after awhile and didnt see them. I dont want this thread to turn into the link posted above, I was just offering one method, and someone else offered another. Unfortunately I came off as pushing my side was better than the other. This is never the case in anything in life. Its all about what works for YOU.

For anybody reading this, you can interpret the thread and the one in the link above, anyway you want. Its all about what works for you. If you are seeing results using either method, then, if it aint broke dont fix it. keep on doing low GI/High GI. Personally I think I am seeing results using Surge. You may think its expensive, but that is the brilliance of competition in the supplement industry. I can get surge for $28 at d p s, which is almost half of what they charge at the Biotest store. Now granted, you could probably buy the ingredients (very short list) and make your own. I am a student, and I simply dont have time to make the stuff, and I would have no idea if I was doing it right (I can make one helluva PB sandwich though ).

Luckily for me, money isnt a problem since my parents buy the stuff for me. I make sure its the cheapest option. Again being a student, its simply easier for me to pour 16oz. of water in a cup, put two scoops of surge in, and blend. I might be PM'ing you in the future, so I can see how to make something similar for a cheaper price, as money will be tight when I go to college.

One final last note, you shouldnt bash the "tie-in" of supplements in articles too much, because its prevalent through out the industry. Even on this website, mixed in with the articles, is information about different supplements, and a link to them at the BB.com store. I dont think its wrong, they gotta make money somehow, but I just thought that I should point that out. Most fitness mags are owned by supplement companies. Its just the way it works. The only mag that I see thats not biased towards supplements is Men's Health, who is owned by Rodale I believe. But then again, their fitness section is usually microscopic, but good information nontheless.

I try to look past T-mags supplement hype, and once you get past that, they have some incredible articles about training and nutrition. They do get the top gurus to write and do Q&A on their site. It is top-notch information.

I definitely look forward to seeing more posts by you (dildo69) in the future.

Once again i agree t-mag have some of the best writers on the web.

And i agree whatever works for u is best. Im still not sure which way to go, i have all the ingrediants to make surge so im tempted to do one session high G.I next low G.I, just to see. (hardly an ecxact science i know)

I wasnt trying to bash it, i was just saying u should def look closely at an article when it is promoting a supp because as u know some can be complete rubbish.

Glad this thread remained flameless, seems to be so much flameing for nothing these days, spoils a good debate.

Maybe i'll pm u about how to make a PB sandwich
    Bo selecta!

TheCoon69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheCoon69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheCoon69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheCoon69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheCoon69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheCoon69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheCoon69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheCoon69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheCoon69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheCoon69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheCoon69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    cutting is adviced

azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000)
    There is actually a considerable amount of research done on high GI foods for PWO involving power and strength athletes. From a physiological standpoint however, there is very little difference immediately PWO for the demands on the muscles between and endurance event and a weight training event, other than macronutrient requirements. An endurance event is very taxing on the muscular system and creates endocrine responses that require similar nutrients to strength demands. My best suggestion would be try varying PWO strategies see which one you feel gives you the est results

justi123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    cutting is adviced