VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Bench Press on Smith Machine

Will I still be able to gain good mass if I do my flat bench press on a smith machine? I focus more on dumbells while doing chest, but to warm up I use the smith machine. How much easier is it on the smith than a normal bench. Say I benched 250lbs on a smith what do you think it would be on a normal bench?

pduke1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pduke1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pduke1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pduke1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pduke1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pduke1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pduke1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why are you benching on a smith machine? I really don't recommend this. Stick with free weights...
    - Duke

VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VENGEANCE_X is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by pduke1
    Why are you benching on a smith machine? I really don't recommend this. Stick with free weights...
    I'm benching on a smith machine because I use heavy weight and I don't have a spotter and secondly because its basically the same movement its just that the smith machine helps you stabalize the bar so you never loose balance and both arms will always go up evenly.

Its_PainFuLL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Its_PainFuLL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Its_PainFuLL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Its_PainFuLL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Its_PainFuLL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Its_PainFuLL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Its_PainFuLL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Its_PainFuLL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Its_PainFuLL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Its_PainFuLL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Its_PainFuLL is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by pduke1
    there is nothing wrong with usin the smith machine, just not alot ppl like it , becuz nothing beats free weights!

well there is this new machine which is like the smith but lets u control the weight and doesnt lock out, lee priest's gym has one , and thats the only place ive seen em.

disadvantage, isnt a natural movement, locks up muscle stabilzers.

advantages, no spotter, alot safer, good for starters, still puts on mass,

and prolly alot more .

WonderRXR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just so everyone knows.....

Heres a little experiment with a smith machine...atleast the one at my gym

Unlock the bar and let it go, I'll bet you that it won't accelerate to the ground at the same rate as a free bar, this means that when your pressing up on a smith machine bar you won't have to oppose as much FORCE to move the bar, which of corse means your doing less work on the object and therefor getting less of a workout....So always use more weight on a smith machine
    YEH BUDDY!

madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ? you're surely lifting the same weight bench pressing on the smith machine as doing bench press with free weights, the only reason it's easier is because you don't have to balance ain't it?
    Squat: 264 lbs

ViolentG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolentG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolentG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolentG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolentG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolentG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolentG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolentG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolentG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolentG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolentG has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    the reason it dont fall as fast is coz it is like on rollers or summut to make it slide up and down, and there is friction there which slows it down thats why it dont fall as fast.
    Violent G

'The difference between goals and accomplishments, is purely desire'

madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) madnerb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yeh ok, but ur still pushing everything thats on the bar
    Squat: 264 lbs

musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000)
    Older smith machines without cable support will have a barbell that will weight 45 lbs, just like a regular free weights barbell. Newer, more advanced smith machines have cable support that actually lifts the barbell and gives you some assistance. In that case, i dont think the barbell weighs more than 25lbs.