Thread: Keto goals

Kiluanji is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Keto goals

Hey all,

Newbie Keto'er somewhat overwhelmed by all the information, don't know where to begin exactly.

I currently weigh 172 lbs, last time I checked i was about 11.2% body fat. I want to get to and maintain 180 lbs and less than 8.5% bf body, and keep to a workout regime of 3x resistance training sessions and 3x aerobic fitness sessions a week, all while on keto.

I know nothing about macros and counting carbs and stuff. Because I have always had an aesthetically pleasing body and muscle definition, I have never bothered with the details. But I am getting older, and fat isn't just flowing out of my body as it used to.

Any and all guidance on first steps is greatly appreciated.

decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100)
    I wouldn't spend any time here. These forums are replete with people saying the only thing that matters - even in keto - is calories. And that's stupid. You'll notice the more strict ketoers all have zero rep because the bullies pushing the carbs de-rep us. It doesn't matter, though, since it's all fake internet points. Go to the ketogenic forums (Google it). It's put on by 2KetoDudes and there are TONS of people to help you every step of the way.

First you're gonna want to find a good online macro calculator. There are lots of them. You basically enter your weight and goals and it spits out how many of each macro you need. Then, grab an app for your phone like "Carb Manager" which lets you track all of your food intake and will calculate how many more macros/calories you have left (or need) as well as track your fitness.

It's all about self-control and tracking. Eventually you won't need to track once you start seeing/feeling results. But you'll be surprised at how many carbs are in everything lol!
    Lucky me swimming in my ability; dancing down on life with agility!

Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    @decreebass thx for sharing, very useful. I too am new to keto and just started absorbing all the info, have a few posts here and have too seen the bullying from well fit bodybuilders or maybe fitness athletes, forum members that got six packs flunking in their avatar pics. Good for them having reached all their goals, but I don't think they started where we fat people have to too start. At the very bottom, why obesity and close to 50% body fat. With years of bad eating habits and numbers of failed diets and little to no real fate that we can ever achieve our weight loss goals.

When we eventually find this forum via google and make our posts the very last thing we need is for very fit people people ganging up on us and killing what little inspiration we got to try to change our ways. We don't need to hear we are stupid or that we need self-control. If we had even the slightest self control we wouldnt be 350 lbs or more in the first place.

The only success I have had with dieting was low carb high fat. But I didn't stay on. I used it as a diet. This time keto is not a diet - it is a life changing process where I will find a new way of living without the insane cravings for junk food, sweet soft drinks, sweet and fatty snacks and buckets of ice cream.

I will google that forum and make a change and retract from this forum if the other forum has a more positive vibe. What I need is people that have been where I am or are where I am that feel they would like to share what works for fatties rather then what works for fitness athletes with bodies like greek gods.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect people cheering or anything. I just feel there should be a little less "lets have a laugh over at the keto section". I don't think people that have not tried keto should have so strong opinions about. Or even if they tried and it was not for them, maybe those sculpted dudes already got self-control and don't need to stay away from carbs in order to live a life off cheap sugar and junk food cravings.

EDITED:
    Oh man I am getting old and sat in my ways. I already been to that forum but decided against it because of the GUI and page layout. I am soooo used to BB forum style, how to navigate etc that I am a little turned off every time I see newer styles or different layouts and steer away. Well life changing it is, I am trying something new today so I will sign up for that forum and learn to love it. If the content is good fxxk the layout.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by decreebass View Post
    These forums are replete with people saying the only thing that matters - even in keto - is calories.
    Because a consistent caloric deficit IS all that matters. If keto HELPS you stay in a caloric deficit, good for you.

adigiro1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adigiro1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adigiro1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adigiro1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adigiro1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adigiro1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adigiro1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adigiro1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adigiro1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adigiro1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adigiro1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    maintaining anything under 10% is not really feasible, especially for long periods of time. so keep that in mind.

also, I PMd you some information.

lastly I will say this, do what you want and what works. I have a friend on keto and it is embarrassing watching him eat. It isn't practical, him and his GF do nothing but crave real food. Since they can't eat carbs they are extremely limited. They have both lost weight, but my buddy has stalled, mainly due to not counting calories in any form. Just educate yourself and find what will work for you.
    NC Crew
    Busch Light Crew
    Hard Part Crew
    chong my fking dong crew
    pureblood crew

Whowasstandards is a complete loser! (-2000) Whowasstandards is a complete loser! (-2000) Whowasstandards is a complete loser! (-2000) Whowasstandards is a complete loser! (-2000) Whowasstandards is a complete loser! (-2000) Whowasstandards is a complete loser! (-2000) Whowasstandards is a complete loser! (-2000) Whowasstandards is a complete loser! (-2000) Whowasstandards is a complete loser! (-2000) Whowasstandards is a complete loser! (-2000) Whowasstandards is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by decreebass View Post
    I wouldn't spend any time here. These forums are replete with people saying the only thing that matters - even in keto - is calories. And that's stupid. You'll notice the more strict ketoers all have zero rep because the bullies pushing the carbs de-rep us. It doesn't matter, though, since it's all fake internet points. Go to the ketogenic forums (Google it). It's put on by 2KetoDudes and there are TONS of people to help you every step of the way.

First you're gonna want to find a good online macro calculator. There are lots of them. You basically enter your weight and goals and it spits out how many of each macro you need. Then, grab an app for your phone like "Carb Manager" which lets you track all of your food intake and will calculate how many more macros/calories you have left (or need) as well as track your fitness.

It's all about self-control and tracking. Eventually you won't need to track once you start seeing/feeling results. But you'll be surprised at how many carbs are in everything lol!
    Calories do matter on keto and ckd is great for long term ketoers. I myself practice very clean keto but also know that the body responds much better when you cycle. Think of it like taking 1 step backward to take 3 steps forward.

Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    General statement from someone with a history of doing all possible diet variations, that every now and then chooses to go on some kind of keto-style diet for shorter term. Add to the fact that I don't track calories/macros on any form of diet anymore (got bored after 6 years of counting). & Yes, I have been fat... not 50% obese, but ~30%.

Firstly, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Keto as such. Same for having more way fats than carbs or even doing cyclical keto or whatever one wants to call it. Eating food by preference is okay.

On the other hand; when trying to make it a case of demonizing/excluding carbs to an unsustainable degree, claiming it's the only way to do it and trying to live that way, meanwhile craving other food isn't. This indicates something is off, as our bodies/brains are good at signalling their needs.

For people not as demanding in burst energy or people with issues relating to carbs one way or another, there might not be better options than to restrict them. Using available ones in amounts within frames of tolerance should be a no-brainer though, this to actually be able to adhere to ones diet/lifting regime long-term.
    ~ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ~

" As mind ~ as matter "

Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by adigiro1 View Post
    maintaining anything under 10% is not really feasible, especially for long periods of time. so keep that in mind.

also, I PMd you some information.

lastly I will say this, do what you want and what works. I have a friend on keto and it is embarrassing watching him eat. It isn't practical, him and his GF do nothing but crave real food. Since they can't eat carbs they are extremely limited. They have both lost weight, but my buddy has stalled, mainly due to not counting calories in any form. Just educate yourself and find what will work for you.
    True bro science in the purest form right there. You know a couple, and because of that the rest of the world can expect identical results?
    Keto IS real food. I stay keto yet eat greens. I just what vegetables to eat. I am not having awful cravings like I had before Keto. Social gatherings are easy. I pick what I eat if a set menu, and I make sure I've had a keto coffee right before, or have it in my pockets so I can take one if need be.

I eat healthy fat fish, and loads of fatty meat, and internals. I do sour cream, heavy cream, add a nice dash of olive oil om my greens and have a few keto coffees a day. Working well for me.

Keep your science bro, I got no use for it.

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    Because a consistent caloric deficit IS all that matters. If keto HELPS you stay in a caloric deficit, good for you.
    Your body knows, and tells you. Just keep eating fatty cuts, be generous with heavy cream and other fatty things and you don't need to count anything. If losses stops, maybe do an inventory and look at the macros. No need to obsess and count calories on a daily basis. Not for me at least.

On the other hand; when trying to make it a case of demonizing/excluding carbs to an unsustainable degree, claiming it's the only way to do it and trying to live that way, meanwhile craving other food isn't. This indicates something is off, as our bodies/brains are good at signalling their needs.
    Don't think people should demonize any food or any way of eating. People should do whatever work well for them. For some people cutting carbs remove all cravings, I can attest to that. And that is the biggest benefit of keto for me. Because I don't end up binge eating several nights a week. I eat only keto, I keep things simple and I don't need to obsess with macros or counting calories. If I get cravings, I am likely doing something wrong and might evaluate the macros, and be more diligent counting carbs for a short period.

Right now, I eat when hungry, eat til I am satiated and have a keto coffe or two during the day. Keeps the hunger away and the fatty way of eating have curbed the cravings.

I will add that I am not in any form of hard work out or training session. I am walking just a little, taking the stairs rather then elevator but that is all. Maybe when I start at the gym my needs will change, but for now I am ok on keto.

I am not saying keto is the winning ticket, or that everyone should try it. But if you failed before maybe give it a chance? And give yourself at least 3 weeks on keto and then do a recap. Did you stay away from carbs? Did you face grave cravings? Or did the cravings vanish maybe?

What is the value of pasta if you really think about it? I've been a pasta lover as long as I remember. It is great the 15 minutes I eat pasta and that sweet sweet tomato sauce, but after that? Did the pasta do me good or did it do me bad? If that paste caused me to binge out 2 nights in a row and have awful cravings then I'd say pasta is hurting me. Can I live without pasta in my life? Maybe not, but I sure don't need pasta each week. Probably not even each month.
    Last edited by Ifa99; 07-04-2019 at 11:43 AM.

BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100)
    In other words you want to gain 12 lbs of muscle and lose 4 lbs of fat. These are lofty goals, moreso the gaining of 12 lbs of muscle assuming you are a seasoned lifter and are natty. It can be difficult to gain muscle on keto which is a big reason for cyclical type diets. I would first get into ketosis then start ramping up the calories with around 150 to 180 grams protein and the rest of calories from fat and then go up from there. You should be aiming for about 4000 calories or higher. Don't worry about fat gain it's very difficult in ketosis.

Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BurritoJ View Post
    In other words you want to gain 12 lbs of muscle and lose 4 lbs of fat. These are lofty goals, moreso the gaining of 12 lbs of muscle assuming you are a seasoned lifter and are natty. It can be difficult to gain muscle on keto which is a big reason for cyclical type diets. I would first get into ketosis then start ramping up the calories with around 150 to 180 grams protein and the rest of calories from fat and then go up from there. You should be aiming for about 4000 calories or higher. Don't worry about fat gain it's very difficult in ketosis.
    If it's difficult to gain both muscle and fat in ketosis... what will the gains consist of when you exceed your caloric needs?
    ~ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ~

" As mind ~ as matter "

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Being in ketosis does not mitigate fat gain mechanistically, it simply creates an environment in which some people find it easier to maintain a calorie deficit for weight loss and or to avoid overeating too much while in a surplus if it helps control their appetite.

If your body's energy needs are met, a surplus of circulating lipids will be deposited into your fat cell, and you will gain fat.

Insulin and glucose never drop to zero no matter how fat adapted or 'deep into keto' you are, so there is plenty of opportunity to store excess triglyceride if you are consuming more energy than you are expending.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100) BurritoJ is not very well liked. (-100)
    Predicting the ratio of muscle to fat gain for a person is impossible

The calorie number at which a person will put on excess fat is higher in keto than in non keto. The smash the fat guy showed this.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The calorie number at which a person will put on excess fat is higher in keto than in non keto. The smash the fat guy showed this.
    Lol right
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

So to the OP, Sam Feltham is his name. He compared 3 different diets of 5700 calories a day for 21 days and had very different outcomes as far as weight and composition of weight. It's very interesting. Also Wittrock did a similar experiment albeit with only 4k calories. It's pretty common knowledge that it's harder to gain weight on keto actually and has been since drs started putting kids on keto for seizures and noticed they had difficulty gaining weight.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So to the OP, Sam Feltham is his name.
    Stop posting silly, poorly controlled n=1 experiments.

Refer to peer reviewed scientific studies instead. https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/104/2/324/4564649

It's pretty common knowledge that it's harder to gain weight on keto actually and has been since drs started putting kids on keto for seizures and noticed they had difficulty gaining weight.
    It's only difficult because it's harder to eat enough.

So to the OP, Sam Feltham is his name. He compared 3 different diets of 5700 calories a day for 21 days and had very different outcomes as far as weight and composition of weight. It's very interesting. Also Wittrock did a similar experiment albeit with only 4k calories. It's pretty common knowledge that it's harder to gain weight on keto actually and has been since drs started putting kids on keto for seizures and noticed they had difficulty gaining weight.
    Yeah because of course nobody who is selling a book would lie to make money.