Registered User stuartjames1980's Avatar
    stuartjames1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

In need of a change

Hi everyone,
    I'm Stuart and I'm here hoping for some help and advice on getting started with bodybuilding and nutrition.

I'm 38 years old and at 5ft9 and 202lbs I'm overweight and certainly not loving it. I know there is a lot of information already set out on this forum and I've tried to digest as much as I can but I have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), dyslexia and a host of other learning difficulties which makes it very difficult for me to absorb information when piecing things together from different threads.

Up until the age of 25 I made a living as a professional footballer in Holland, so I have experience in sports and discipline but everything was laid out for me in that life - food, training, rest and recovery was all planned for me so all I had to do was listen and do whatever they said. Unfortunately I suffered a career ending injury to me left knee at 25 and have spent the last 13 years dipping in and out of depression and my weight has has gone up and down (lowest 120lbs - highest 270lbs).

Last summer I got my weight down to 180lbs by running but my knee finally gave out again in October and I had to have another emergency operation and I've now regained 70% of last summers weight loss.

Generally my legs are strong (although my left knee will never be great) so I don't worry about my knee on a daily basis, although running on a regular basis is probably off the table now - some light running 1/2 times a week should be fine.

I consider myself an athlete and want to find a way to test myself again so I bought myself a set of weights, a skipping rope, heave bag and LOTS of knee support straps in the hope of beginning a new journey in bodybuilding. I have no ambition to compete but want/need to work hard at this.

Sorry for the rambling! In a nutshell, I'm wondering if someone might be able to give me an 'idiots guide' to bodybuilding and nutrition. Due to my current working commitments I only have access to the weights on weekends (and every other Wednesday). Ideally I need a guide to follow 'word for word' like I used to have when playing football but I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Best wishes to you all.
    Stuart

tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A program that really got me into things (I have been out of the gym for a few years now), but the program was called StrongLifts 5x5. This program really worked well when you followed it as described.

You can check out this guide:

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

in 12 weeks I was able to get some great numbers - well.. great for me anyway. Here is a journal I kept here while on the program.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=146228033

Anyway.. I hope this helps.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by stuartjames1980 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm Stuart and I'm here hoping for some help and advice on getting started with bodybuilding and nutrition.

I'm 38 years old and at 5ft9 and 202lbs I'm overweight and certainly not loving it. I know there is a lot of information already set out on this forum and I've tried to digest as much as I can but I have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), dyslexia and a host of other learning difficulties which makes it very difficult for me to absorb information when piecing things together from different threads.

Up until the age of 25 I made a living as a professional footballer in Holland, so I have experience in sports and discipline but everything was laid out for me in that life - food, training, rest and recovery was all planned for me so all I had to do was listen and do whatever they said. Unfortunately I suffered a career ending injury to me left knee at 25 and have spent the last 13 years dipping in and out of depression and my weight has has gone up and down (lowest 120lbs - highest 270lbs).

Last summer I got my weight down to 180lbs by running but my knee finally gave out again in October and I had to have another emergency operation and I've now regained 70% of last summers weight loss.

Generally my legs are strong (although my left knee will never be great) so I don't worry about my knee on a daily basis, although running on a regular basis is probably off the table now - some light running 1/2 times a week should be fine.

I consider myself an athlete and want to find a way to test myself again so I bought myself a set of weights, a skipping rope, heave bag and LOTS of knee support straps in the hope of beginning a new journey in bodybuilding. I have no ambition to compete but want/need to work hard at this.

Sorry for the rambling! In a nutshell, I'm wondering if someone might be able to give me an 'idiots guide' to bodybuilding and nutrition. Due to my current working commitments I only have access to the weights on weekends (and every other Wednesday). Ideally I need a guide to follow 'word for word' like I used to have when playing football but I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Best wishes to you all.
    Stuart
    tsoden gave you good advice. Especially for someone who needs a structured program, Stronglifts will help. ADHD and Dyslexia don't have to be a problem under the weights, when you know every day exactly what your goals are.

It's 3 days a week, low impact, easy on the knees, and for someone of your athletic background, it should give you great results.

As for nutrition, it's not quite as exact a program, but it doesn't have to be complicated either. Just eat good, nutritious, fresh food, keep the protein high, and IF you have trouble reaching your weight goals, get a food scale and start measuring your portion sizes. That will make it easier to adjust things as needed.

Third -- get plenty of sleep.

You'll do fine.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tsoden View Post
    A program that really got me into things (I have been out of the gym for a few years now), but the program was called StrongLifts 5x5. This program really worked well when you followed it as described.

You can check out this guide:

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

in 12 weeks I was able to get some great numbers - well.. great for me anyway. Here is a journal I kept here while on the program.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=146228033

Anyway.. I hope this helps.
    Welcome back Todd! hows things? you back in the gym?
    Instagram - @dazlittle123

Registered User stuartjames1980's Avatar
    stuartjames1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

I'll take a look over the 5x5 program today and work out a plan to get started. I've also just entered into a White Collar Boxing event for charity so that should help burn off some of the excess lbs.

I'll try and keep this thread updated with any progress I make.

Thanks again!

Edit:
    There's an app! This is a huge bonus for me. The 5x5 website was quite daunting for me - there's a lot of information on that page, which scared the bajeebers out of me! I've not opened the app yet but i'm sure that's going to make it easier for me to take it all in

If only there was an app that would tell me exactly what to eat and when to eat it as well. Anyway, I'll get started tonight and see where it takes me
    Last edited by stuartjames1980; 01-28-2019 at 04:10 AM.

tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dazlittle View Post
    Welcome back Todd! hows things? you back in the gym?
    Hey Daz....

Wish I could say I was back in the gym. Life challenges with tim and such and young kids... and conflicting work schedules. trying a few things just to get active again though.

Originally Posted by stuartjames1980 View Post
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

I'll take a look over the 5x5 program today and work out a plan to get started. I've also just entered into a White Collar Boxing event for charity so that should help burn off some of the excess lbs.

I'll try and keep this thread updated with any progress I make.

Thanks again!

Edit:
    There's an app! This is a huge bonus for me. The 5x5 website was quite daunting for me - there's a lot of information on that page, which scared the bajeebers out of me! I've not opened the app yet but i'm sure that's going to make it easier for me to take it all in

If only there was an app that would tell me exactly what to eat and when to eat it as well. Anyway, I'll get started tonight and see where it takes me
    The program may seem daunting at first, but really it is quite simple. there are only 5 exercies, Each day you only do 3 of the 5. There are two alternating days:

Day 1 is Squats, Bench, and OH Press. Day 2 is Squats, Deadlifts, and BB Rows

You alternate days three times a week.

Each exercise has 5 sets of 5 reps. for each new day all sets gain 5 lbs, EXCEPT for deads. When you do deadlifts, you increase by 10lbs.

You keep this pattern up until you cannot make all sets of five. When this happens you keep that weight for the next time you do those exercises and try again.
    If this proves too much, you drop by 10% (I think). and try your 5 sets of 5 again. If you still canot get all 5 sets in, you drop again another 10%.

You keep doing this until you get all sets of 5 done without problems. from there, you return to building back up by adding 5 (and 10 for bench).

The program is fairly simple and you will make FAST progress... eventually though you WILL hit a wall.... it is inevitable as the body needs time to build that muscle strength in order to proceed.
    Last edited by tsoden; 01-28-2019 at 02:08 PM.

My Journal really shows how I did the program (https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=146228033) check it out if you need assistance.