Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Flat DB Press a decent alternative to flys?

Started PHUL recently but flyes irritate my shoulder no matter how light I use the weights. I enjoy pressing exercises and am not fond of isolations. Is this a decent replacement?

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Compound movements typically take priority.

Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odifududix has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Compound movements typically take priority.
    For sure. Got any idea why the original PHUL template has Flys? I find it strange how Incline DB Press is on the Power day while Flat DB Press is nonexistent within the template.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Odifududix View Post
    For sure. Got any idea why the original PHUL template has Flys? I find it strange how Incline DB Press is on the Power day while Flat DB Press is nonexistent within the template.
    Oh sorry. I don't really have an opinion on suitable substitutions.

Incline dumbbell press is a good way to blast the upper chest after exertion on flat barbell. I would have thought it's more for direct targeting (therefor hypertrophy), but dumbbells do require a considerable amount of stabilizing strength.

That being said, flat db bench takes a lot of stabilizing as well. Putting it before your incline barbell, it will hog the energy. Then also, it's kinda silly to do fliyes before your incline barbell.

That's just what it looks like to me. Not sure why incline barbell is on hypertrophy specifically, but maybe they're just mixing up barbells and dumbbells as much as possible. DB flyes hit the chest very directly, so they might just be shaping the workout in order for Flat barbell as king of the jungle with flat db flye being a subsequent lift (isolation following compound) while also not putting them on the same days.

R0nald0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) R0nald0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) R0nald0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) R0nald0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) R0nald0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) R0nald0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) R0nald0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) R0nald0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) R0nald0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) R0nald0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) R0nald0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I personally prefer db presses over bench presses. I feel they are far superior at activating the pecs. Since your hands aren't fixed to the bar and therefore do not follow a straight path, you can stretch your pecs by opening the elbows at the descent (less than 90 degrees of course), and then contract the pecs by touching the dbs at the top. They are a great exercise.
    Por la putamare que me parió.

Well PHUL does have both barbell and dumbbells presses, except that incline press is the only one that uses both barbell and dumbbell.

I guess I will sub flyes for flat DB press. It isn’t as direct in targeting the pecs, but I just don’t like doing isolation work.

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Oh sorry. I don't really have an opinion on suitable substitutions.

That being said, flat db bench takes a lot of stabilizing as well. Putting it before your incline barbell, it will hog the energy. Then also, it's kinda silly to do fliyes before your incline barbell.
    I just reread your post and you advise against flat DB press before Incline barbell press. The original PHUL template has Incline Barbell THEN Chest Flys on its hypertrophy day. I was actually planning on doing Incline Barbell Press followed by Flat DB Press.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Maybe.
    If you do them with a palms facing(parallel grip) and focus on contracting the pecs instead of moving the weight.
    There is no such thing as totally isolating a muscle.
    Other muscles always assist the movement one degree or the other.
    Flys aren't a a must do movement but in doing them they stretch the pecs a little more because of more range of motion.
    I personally like cable type fly movements because of more tension through the top half of the movement that doesn't normally get much work.

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    its not a replacement, its a different exercise. and i wouldnt substitute it with a fly in a workout plan.

Originally Posted by Odifududix View Post
    I just reread your post and you advise against flat DB press before Incline barbell press. The original PHUL template has Incline Barbell THEN Chest Flys on its hypertrophy day. I was actually planning on doing Incline Barbell Press followed by Flat DB Press.
    It's not really a hard rule, and I'm not advising. It's just a matter of practicality that some people might adhere to.