Ferdyd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

After lifting.....doing cardio for 20 min good or bad?

I just want to know if doing the bike for 20 min. after each lifting day good or bad for me?............

outflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bad, do cardio in mornings.......
    You have to love bodybuilding so much that you'll concentrate on a movement with enough intensity to actually convince yourself that the muscle is visibly growing with every repetition. As you pump and squeeze, you can feel it, you can see it, and you don't want to stop.

yeah great its bad for me but why?

Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I disagree. I think that you will experience good fat loss results from performing moderate intensity cardio sessions after lifting (ie 60-75% HRR) for about 20 minutes or so. Now, this may not be the ideal approach for maximizing muscle or strength gains, but it is excellent for fat loss.
    Unstoppable Confidence

sean benay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im w/ Timbo. I dont think anything is wrong w/ it, it may not be optimal, but nothing is wrong w/ it. Unless your doing long (1.5 hrs or more)weight sessions, you should see good results.
    Keep it healthy! Sean

i usually lift for 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on intensity.......and then i do the bike for 20 min

Question

1.5-2hrs, why so long? What are your current goals? How often per week do you do this?
    Keep it healthy! Sean

Persoally, I wouldnt recommend cardio after that long a session. Actually, I wouldnt even recommend that long a session! Your glycogen stores will be severly depleted. Some people may think "great, more fat burn!" I dont say that; I say eat! Theres a good chance you will experience muscle atrophy if you dont eat. Thats what happened to me.
    Keep it healthy! Sean

The thing is i play football and with the rest time and the excersices it would usually equal 1.5, but i've been lifting this long for 6 years now........i was doing it like that in high school and now in college i'm doing the same..........i mean i cant complain i've done very well working out that long...............thank you

D_Town has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't think it will hurt. But, I think it's better to hit the cardio before the workout than after, get the BP up and the blood flowing.

jordangoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) jordangoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) jordangoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) jordangoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) jordangoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) jordangoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) jordangoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) jordangoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) jordangoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) jordangoku is on a distinguished road. (+10) jordangoku is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do cardio in the morning when you wake up on an empty stomach, to use the fat that your body has as energy.
    I can do all things through christ which strentheneth me.

Philippians 4:13

Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From my understanding, contisone is released after an hour(roughly) of working out, that being said will it have a negative effect on my body by doing cardio after 45 minutes of working out? Usually my cardio last at least 30 minutes of jogging, so roughly its about 1 hour and 15 minutes to an hour and 30 minutes. I hate cardio in the morning and I usually don't have that much time to squeeze it in so its more convenient for me to do it after my workout. I'm worried I'll be doing more harm than good by including my cardio after my work-out.
    I'm not lost, I just don't care WHERE I am!

Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr.Lean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nothing wrong in doing cardio after wrokout- just make sure its moderate intensity and is no longer than 30-40 mins. To minimise muslce loss keep lifitng session to 45 mins and make sure u eat 1-2 hours before workout, and then immediatly after. I beleive this is just as effective if not more than doing cardio first thing in the morning because carbd storages are depleted during the lifting session , making it easier to get in to the fat burning zone.

Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ice Man has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It is generally said that the best times to do cardio is in the morning before you eat and after you workout for like 15-20 mins. These are the times when you body best utilizes its stored energy...

-Ice
    Last edited by Ice Man; 03-06-2002 at 05:25 AM.
    Yup, I'm bigger than you.

Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Unless your priority is endurance training, DO NOT perform your cardio BEFORE your workout.

It depends on your goals, really. If fat loss is the priority--and possible subsequent stagnation and/or loss of strength and size are not an issue--then first thing in the morning, empty stomach cardio is your best bet. Proper supplementation and nutrition should be carefully adhered to, regardless.
    Unstoppable Confidence

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are cutting, then cardio after you workout is not that bad of an idea especially if you don't have time to do cardio first thing in the morning. The weight workout will deplete your glycogen stores, which will enable you to enter the "fat burning mode" within the first few minutes of cardio, when it would otherwise take about 20 min. (unless you were doing it first thing in the morning of course). So doing cardio after you work out is like doing cardio first thing in the morning in the sense that your body enters the fat burning mode much faster. I also think that both can be equally catabolic. This is why you may want to take some glutamine after you finish with the weights before you do the cardio. Also, you probably don't want to do cardio for longer than 30 min. if you do it after your weight workout.

well i'm looking to get stronger and more defined......which in fact means i'm trying to lose some flab from my love handles.....i usually do a good 20 min....4 times a week when i work out....and i usually try to stay at my 70% heart rate.....if that means anything.........

Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrew M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good stuff, thanks guys. I'll see how well it does for me.
    I'm not lost, I just don't care WHERE I am!

Ferdy...How long have you been following this program and how have you progressed thus far? It sounds like a solid plan to me. You should be able to increase strength and lose fat simultaneously, given you don't overtrain and supplement and feed yourself properly. Doing moderate intensity (60-75% HRR) for 20-30 minutes following your weight training--given that this isn't a marathon in and of itself--is great for fat loss. Tim gives a good explanation of it.
    Unstoppable Confidence

goose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Should I eat after cardio the same way I would after a workout session. With a liquid form of protein and carbs. Assuming the cardio is in the morning, on an empty stomach. Or should I just eat breakfast as usual? Thanks!

Well i've been doing this work out for about 2 months now and i've gotten good results.....i lost 10 pounds.....see my upper abs...and my muscle mass looks great......i would recommend it to anyone....

Shogun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

I perfer to do my cardio in the afternoon since my workout is at 5:45 in the mourning. A good 25 minutes jog on tthe treadmill keeps you cut.
    One thought opens a thousand eyes.
    One sun brings a thousand dawns.

thanks for all the help guys.............

labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10) labouche is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    DEJA VU

when i bulk i want to add as much mass as possible so i might do some light/short cardio on the two days im not lifting.

when i cutt i want to retain as much muscle as possible and lose the fat over a period of time. so, ill do cardio on the two days im not lifting. when i decide to add a 3rd day of cardio ill switch to a 4day lifting program.
    at whatever time of day i do the cardio ill have a meal of some protein, carbs, and fat, BEFOREhand, jump on the treadmill for 30minutes of INTENSE running, and then go home and have a liquid post-workout meal.

the gradual reduction of my caloric intake and some slight adjustments to the macronutrient percentages will be some of the key factors.
    "...but fools despise wisdom and discipline."