TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100)

Thumbs up How much will I gain on 4000 calories?

Hi. I’m just started a bulk at around 4000 calories everyday, 2000 of these calories coming from shakes made of oats, peanut butter, one banana and milk. I am about 9 stone 10 pounds when I wake in the morning (140lbs) and around 5 ft 9. I want to put on a lot of weight as I’m too skinny to be happy and will be starting gym using the starting strength routine. I know there is no definite answer but how fast could I be looking at gaining weight in the next few months? I want to be able to wear t shirts in summer. I am sick to death of being skinny!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    If for the sake or argument, your TDEE is 2500 calories, you have a 1500 surplus. About 200 of that will be used for muscle building, the rest will be stored as fat.

So you'll gain about 2.5lbs a fat every week and maybe some muscle too. Sound good?

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

OP Calorie bulking logic....?

Her Johnny on the Spot MmmWatermelon's Avatar
    MmmWatermelon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MmmWatermelon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MmmWatermelon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MmmWatermelon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MmmWatermelon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MmmWatermelon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MmmWatermelon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MmmWatermelon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MmmWatermelon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MmmWatermelon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MmmWatermelon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    OP Calorie bulking logic....?
    Just lol.
    Your gun is digging into my hip.

TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100) TheSoonToBe is not very well liked. (-100)
    Suffolkpunch, thanks for the information that does sound good until I reach at least 11 stone. As for the other two, your replies make it out as if a little bit of fat is extremely bad, even at my weight 😂.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I was hoping you would not think it sounds good. You can't rush muscle gain - and just gaining fat will not give you the look you desire... Try about 2800 calories and adjust from there if you want my advice.

What putting on a little weight isn’t good when I’m skinny?

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not when it comes to 2.5lbs of fat a week (guess amount if we follow SuffolkPunch estimate and he knows his stuff!!).

Think OP in a year if you followed that calorie amount you would gain 130lbs (of course as you get bigger you need more food so lets say 100lbs) so 100lb increase of weight in one year with the most being fat. I think you will be back asking how to lose all that weight.

Take gaining weight slowly aim to add between 2-3lbs a month and try and get most if that weight gain to be muscle.

cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TheSoonToBe View Post
    What putting on a little weight isn’t good when I’m skinny?
    Not at all what he’s saying. You’re the same height and weight as me and unless you’re composition is VASTLY different than mine you will be severely disappointed gaining that much fat. Why would you want to gain useless tissue when all you’re gonna have to do is try harder to shed it down the road? It’s not a race dude. I’m bulking at 2800 calories and I think that’s even a bit high. Nothing wrong with “gaining a bit of weight” but Suffolk is right. Unless you like the “padded” look, excess fat gain isn’t something you want to strive for.

swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cljolley View Post
    Not at all what he’s saying. You’re the same height and weight as me and unless you’re composition is VASTLY different than mine you will be severely disappointed gaining that much fat. Why would you want to gain useless tissue when all you’re gonna have to do is try harder to shed it down the road? It’s not a race dude. I’m bulking at 2800 calories and I think that’s even a bit high. Nothing wrong with “gaining a bit of weight” but Suffolk is right. Unless you like the “padded” look, excess fat gain isn’t something you want to strive for.
    Not to mention health issues related to higher fat around the organs

I never said I want to follow it for a year. I want to put on a stone maybe a stone and a half as fast as possible so I look normal and not scrawny. Whilst doing this, be going to gym gaining muscle weight and once achieved the desired weight whether fat or muscle then reduce calories and continue going to the gym. I am unable to wear a t shirt at the minute because of my lack of fat. It looks weird and they don’t fit snug like they should. Is that as bad as a lot of you are making out? I think not

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I never said I want to follow it for a year. I want to put on a stone maybe a stone and a half as fast as possible so I look normal and not scrawny. Whilst doing this, be going to gym gaining muscle weight and once achieved the desired weight whether fat or muscle then reduce calories and continue going to the gym. I am unable to wear a t shirt at the minute because of my lack of fat. It looks weird and they don’t fit snug like they should. Is that as bad as a lot of you are making out? I think not
    Adding unneeded fat wont do much good; just gain a little slower and add more actual lean mass.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    About 350.

Just kidding. Read what SuffolkPunch said. srs

Everyone is saying the same thing OP - and we all have a lot more experience than you. But you do what you want if you've already made your mind up - it's your problem if you don't like the outcome.

dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    4000 calories for someone your size is way too much, you'll regret it later.

Start with a small surplus and aim for 2~3lbs a month.
    One of the greatest experiences in life is achieving personal goals that others said would be, impossible to attain. Be proud of your success and share your story with others. -Robert Cheeke

gw101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi. I’m just started a bulk at around 4000 calories everyday, 2000 of these calories coming from shakes made of oats, peanut butter, one banana and milk. I am about 9 stone 10 pounds when I wake in the morning (140lbs) and around 5 ft 9. I want to put on a lot of weight as I’m too skinny to be happy and will be starting gym using the starting strength routine. I know there is no definite answer but how fast could I be looking at gaining weight in the next few months? I want to be able to wear t shirts in summer. I am sick to death of being skinny!
    Hey man, I know what its like to be sick and tired of being skinny. I know you want to gain as quickly as possible, but take it a bit slower and you will still see BIG changes in how you look.
    Like other people have suggested, increase your intake to about 3,000 to 3,250 per day and see how your body reacts. The key is that every body is different but its really a math equation.
    My other piece of advice would be to EAT CLEAN!
    Lots of veggies like broc****, asparagus and the like. Lean meats like ground beef, bison and chicken breast. Baked sweet potatoes are a great way to get good carbohydrates and hit your calorie goals.
    Try and get about 500 calories and 50 grams of protein from a shake that you like.
    I gained 20 pounds over a few months and gained a little fat, but it is so worth it being more confident in clothes.
    Good luck my man!

Silencespeaks is not very helpful. (-500) Silencespeaks is not very helpful. (-500) Silencespeaks is not very helpful. (-500) Silencespeaks is not very helpful. (-500) Silencespeaks is not very helpful. (-500) Silencespeaks is not very helpful. (-500) Silencespeaks is not very helpful. (-500) Silencespeaks is not very helpful. (-500) Silencespeaks is not very helpful. (-500) Silencespeaks is not very helpful. (-500) Silencespeaks is not very helpful. (-500)
    Don’t do it op! You’ll get so fat. It’s not worth it.

My maintenance cals are 2000, so if I ate 4000 every day I’d be in a surplus of 2000 cals times 7 days = 14,000 cals weekly surplus. People gain 1 lb for every 3,500 cals surplus (not including water) so that would be almost 4 lbs fat a week (and a little muscle)!

I’m lighter than you, so your maintenance cals are likely a bit higher. But not that much higher. Suffolk’s suggestion of 2800 is a good place to start for a reasonable surplus. Might even have to lower it.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    $5 on OP making a new thread on how to lose all this stubborn fat within 6 months from now.
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What you're describing is dirty bulking. I tried it - although far less drastically - a few months ago and stopped quickly when I realised most of what I was gaining was fat and I was looking worse for it. That was eating around 3000 calories, and I'm taller and heavier than you. If you're like me and most of the fat goes around your midsection, you can actually end up looking skinnier, as your chest and arms looks comparatively smaller.

Speaking as a fellow skinny guy, I know exactly what you mean about t-shirts not fitting, but my advice there is to buy clothes that are 'Vintage Cut' or 'European Cut', or simply from stores who make slimmer-fitting clothes - it can cost a bit more but makes a big difference to your appearance.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181179323&p=1658333353#post1658333353

Height: 185cm (6'1")
    Weight: 79.3kg (175lb)

Personal best lifts
    Bench - 6 x 65kg (143lb), 8 x 62.5kg (138lb)
    Bent Over Row - 10 x 70kg (154lb)
    Front squat - 5 x 67.5kg (149lb)
    Back squat - 1 x 95kg (209lb), 8 x 77.5kg (171lb)
    RDL - 9 x 87.5kg (193lb)
    Deadlift - 6 x 107.5kg (237lb)
    Overhead Press - 6 x 40kg (88lb)
    Chin Ups - 7 x bodyweight + 12.5kg (27.5lb), 14 x b.weight

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You will gain roughly 1lb for everything 3500 calories over your TDEE.

Nobody knows your TDEE, not even you.

Either do it and find out, or be more reasonable and gain slower.

Have fun with that.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Thanks a lot everyone only just seen these new replies.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    One of the harder aspects of life is to stick to a long term plan in lieu of rapid gratification. This is a skill we acquire as we age, with the frontal lobe of the brain not fully developing until the mid 20s. Ask yourself what you hope to look like 2 years from now. If you gain 2 pounds a month for say 6 months, then 1.5 pounds per month for 6 months, then 1 pound per month for 8 months, you will weigh 169 pounds. Then do a slow cut for 4 months where you lose 0.5-1 pounds per week and possibly still put on a bit of muscle while doing so and you can end up a lean 160 pounds in 2 years. Gain a lot of fat now and you will make it harder to put on more muscle without gaining proportionally more fat in addition to screwing up your health unnecessarily.

Registered User SubWooferCooker's Avatar
    SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SubWooferCooker is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Dirty bulk is the worst thing you can do, been there done that, living hell when it comes to cutting and getting rid of all the fat you could have avoided if you bulked sensibly. i did the same for the same reason you did op, hated being skinny, ended up skinny fat bloated and looking unhealthy as ****, sweat like crazy in the summer, don't do it, bulk slow and you will still look good at the end.

Thanks for the advice. Also another thing driving me inside is that my legs are practically skinner than everyone I see like when I sit down my knees point it’s bad. I’m obviously underweight so can I get away with gaining a bit of fat just to look normal? Also I am 18 not 48 it won’t let me change my age.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for the advice. Also another thing driving me inside is that my legs are practically skinner than everyone I see like when I sit down my knees point it’s bad. I’m obviously underweight so can I get away with gaining a bit of fat just to look normal? Also I am 18 not 48 it won’t let me change my age.
    If you're so hell bent on getting fat then go get fat. No one is going to suggest you do so though.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    youre not underweight in terms of immediate need to gain for medical reasons
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If you are actually 18 then your BMI is greater than the 30th percentile for age and sex, meaning you are nowhere near underweight. Consider seeing a therapist for any body image issues you have.