hcuraB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcuraB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcuraB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcuraB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcuraB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcuraB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcuraB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcuraB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcuraB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcuraB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hcuraB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lean bulking with 2,200cals feels like cutting

Male, 5’6” 19 years old 149lbs. I’m trying to lean bulk with 2,200 calories, but I’m finding it very difficult. My main concern is that I eat 4 “meals” a day. Breakfast, lunch, pre workout, and dinner. I feel like I don’t have enough calories to make it to dinner. Usually less than 500. I tried saving my calories for dinner, but then I feel like my lifts are suffering. It’s a lose lose. I find myself going over my calorie limit at dinner because I’m just hungry, especially after working out.

I see so many posts about people having 3000+cals to bulk. I know I’m shorter and smaller than the average man, but does my calories look right? I trying to gain .5 pounds per week.

dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by hcuraB View Post
    Male, 5’6” 19 years old 149lbs. I’m trying to lean bulk with 2,200 calories, but I’m finding it very difficult. My main concern is that I eat 4 “meals” a day. Breakfast, lunch, pre workout, and dinner. I feel like I don’t have enough calories to make it to dinner. Usually less than 500. I tried saving my calories for dinner, but then I feel like my lifts are suffering. It’s a lose lose. I find myself going over my calorie limit at dinner because I’m just hungry, especially after working out.

I see so many posts about people having 3000+cals to bulk. I know I’m shorter and smaller than the average man, but does my calories look right? I trying to gain .5 pounds per week.
    youre 19... play with it a little bit! find where you are happy,.... meaning if you want to try to get bigger definatly go up to 3000! and then feel it out! with that being said though if i were you, id go on Starting strength, eat 3500 4000 calories a day, and get strong as F*CK! but unfortunatly nowadays too many people are worried about their abs showing than being strong now! and most people dont realize how much their abs are worked under heavy squats, and heavy deads!! either way good luck, and im interested in your progress!!

BahtiyarWorld has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BahtiyarWorld has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BahtiyarWorld has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BahtiyarWorld has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BahtiyarWorld has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BahtiyarWorld has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BahtiyarWorld has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BahtiyarWorld has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BahtiyarWorld has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BahtiyarWorld has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BahtiyarWorld has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    My friend, I always say that clean bulking does not exist. Look at PRO bodybuilders while they are offseason. You don't need to be afraid of getting some fat while bulking. Later, you will get rid of that fat while cutting. Now, just bulk at maximum power as you can. Forget about clean bulking.

dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BahtiyarWorld View Post
    My friend, I always say that clean bulking does not exist. Look at PRO bodybuilders while they are offseason. You don't need to be afraid of getting some fat while bulking. Later, you will get rid of that fat while cutting. Now, just bulk at maximum power as you can. Forget about clean bulking.
    1. Your post is wrong from start to end.
    2. He's not a pro bodybuilder.
    3. What's the point of putting fat on, to cut it later? You seem to love spinning your wheels.

@ OP, If your aim is to gain 2lbs a month, just use a moving average on the scale to measure your weight. If your weight is going up with the rate that you want, then you're in the right direction, if not, re-adjust your calories, it's that simple.

Do you choose to eat 4 meals a day, or is it because you were told to do so? Post your diet so we can see if it's missing something.

Aim to eat food that make you feel more satiated, that usually helps.
    One of the greatest experiences in life is achieving personal goals that others said would be, impossible to attain. Be proud of your success and share your story with others. -Robert Cheeke

swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dski79 View Post
    youre 19... play with it a little bit! find where you are happy,.... meaning if you want to try to get bigger definatly go up to 3000! and then feel it out! with that being said though if i were you, id go on Starting strength, eat 3500 4000 calories a day, and get strong as F*CK! but unfortunatly nowadays too many people are worried about their abs showing than being strong now! and most people dont realize how much their abs are worked under heavy squats, and heavy deads!! either way good luck, and im interested in your progress!!
    Originally Posted by BahtiyarWorld View Post
    wow look at that, so you think if you eat 9000cal/day you would grow faster than someone whos eating 3000calories by that logic...why not everyone eat 15k cal /day and everyone will be huge and strong?your muscle wont grow faster if you eat 3000 or 10k calories, you think you gain muscle but 80% will be just fat as a lbs of muscle growth requires 200-300calories surplus and you can't grow at more than 1.5µ% of you BW per month in your beginner year...
    unless OP wants to compete in strongman or is a pro bodybuilder or is on roids then...eat at a slight surplus

OP, you are 149lbs so am i and im bulking on 2200, teh bigger you get the more calories you will need and why are you trying to eat 4 meals???just eat whenever you want to

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

If your weight is increasing 1-3lbs a month then you are on track for lean bulk as long as you are follow a proven progressive weight training program. If your weight doesn't increase then up your calories more, at the beginning of any lean bulk the calories seem rather low but once you start increasing your lifts and getting bigger you will need more calories to grow so you will get to up your calories.

For being hungry just eat more low calorie foods, even if you are bulking you can still eat a tonne of veg I do and that will fill you (try eating 500 calories of veg a day now that will fill you).

As for the advice to forget a lean bulk and just bulk insanely, well you can but your body can only add a certain amount of muscle at a time so why not get the optimal amount. Bulks should take a long time you don't gain muscle in a week, in a month, most people take years to build solid amounts of muscle before they even think of doing a cut so why would adding 24lbs of muscle over 2 years plus 60lb of fat help anyone.

Best to keep body fat lower for general health and aesthetics, of course this doesn't mean whenever you add 1lb of fat you stop eating you will add fat no matter what, but keeping it to a small/ moderate rate is better then becoming Mr blob over one year hoping to be built muscle like a bodybuilder that ain't going to happen.

Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    2.2K cals is low for a bulk, even for someone at 149lbs. If you are active (which you should), that should be around your maintenance. Gradually add a bit more calories every week, and see how your body reacts to it. You will put on fat on a bulk regardless, don't be afraid to get a bit fluffy, embrace it as long as you don't go too far.
    IG: @tuanlifts

dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
    2.2K cals is low for a bulk, even for someone at 149lbs. If you are active (which you should), that should be around your maintenance. Gradually add a bit more calories every week, and see how your body reacts to it. You will put on fat on a bulk regardless, don't be afraid to get a bit fluffy, embrace it as long as you don't go too far.
    Everyone's maintenance is difference as there are a lot of contributing factors and not just physical activity.

That's not how lean bulking works! putting on minimal fat and maximum muscle during a bulk is what he's after. So I don't know why some people keep telling him to put fat on!

Slight surplus while making good progress on lifts at the gym will be sufficient to achieve the results he wants rather than having to bulk, and cut again for 3~5 months..
    One of the greatest experiences in life is achieving personal goals that others said would be, impossible to attain. Be proud of your success and share your story with others. -Robert Cheeke

MrBumbaclart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBumbaclart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBumbaclart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBumbaclart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBumbaclart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBumbaclart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBumbaclart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBumbaclart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBumbaclart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBumbaclart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBumbaclart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Which foods are you eating? I have found food selection can impact fullness significantly.

Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dest0 View Post
    Everyone's maintenance is difference as there are a lot of contributing factors and not just physical activity.

That's not how lean bulking works! putting on minimal fat and maximum muscle during a bulk is what he's after. So I don't know why some people keep telling him to put fat on!

Slight surplus while making good progress on lifts at the gym will be sufficient to achieve the results he wants rather than having to bulk, and cut again for 3~5 months..
    Nobody is telling him to get fat. In any surplus, you will put on fat regardless, you can't just gain purely muscle. The ratio of muscle to fat gains is what constitute a successful bulk or not. Any beginners like him shouldn't even think about cutting anyway. He should bulk for an entire year if not more and gradually increase calories without pushing it too far.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My main concern is that I eat 4 “meals” a day.
    Eat 3 meals per day. Problem solved.

In any surplus, you will put on fat regardless, you can't just gain purely muscle.
    That is not correct. Plenty of people gain muscle without gaining fat in studies.

So it's definitely possible. Nothing wrong with striving for it.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not if you work in an office for 9hrs a day lol

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by swsko View Post
    Not if you work in an office for 9hrs a day lol
    Make an effort to walk around more. A sedentary life style is terrible for your health.

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post

That is not correct. Plenty of people gain muscle without gaining fat in studies.

So it's definitely possible. Nothing wrong with striving for it.
    Body recomp is possible, but is it the most optimal way? And will it work for everyone? I don't think so, which I why I'd rather have OP experiment with his calories and adjust in consequence.

Dest0 says people spin their wheels with bulking and cutting, which is true, only if you don't allow yourself enough time to bulk. So many people are afraid to put on a bit of fat they rather "body recomp" and eat at such an insignificant surplus. Those are the same people who look the same years after years, that's what I call spinning your wheels.

Body recomp is possible, but is it the most optimal way?
    Recomposition is when people lose fat while gaining muscle. That's not what I'm recommending him to do.

It's possible to gain ~2 pounds per month without gaining fat: a.k.a. lean bulking.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 11-27-2018 at 06:46 AM.

Nobody is telling him to get fat. In any surplus, you will put on fat regardless, you can't just gain purely muscle. The ratio of muscle to fat gains is what constitute a successful bulk or not. Any beginners like him shouldn't even think about cutting anyway. He should bulk for an entire year if not more and gradually increase calories without pushing it too far.
    You actually did though and I quote "don't be afraid to get a bit fluffy".

I never suggested cutting at any point, so I'm not sure why you're bringing this up.

All I said was if his aim is to lean bulk, then eat a slight surplus, use a moving average to check his weight.

He doesn't need to get fluffy.. He can just make good progress at the gym, eat a 200~300 surplus and that's it.

Originally Posted by dest0 View Post
    You actually did though and I quote "don't be afraid to get a bit fluffy".
    I guess my definition of "fluffy" is not the same. I just mean to lose a bit of abs definition, not getting over 20% BF.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    For most moderately active people, some good starting points for calories are:

Maintain = BMR x 1.5
    Bulk = Maintain + 200-300
    Cut = Maintain - 300+

So your stats would put you at 2400-2500 or so with moderate activity just to maintain.

Obviously it depends on activity, tho, and things like NEAT.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Just make sure you're gaining about 2 pounds per month while getting stronger on a good routine. That's all.

And follow the information in the stickies obviously.