Nutrition is 80% success zhixiong's Avatar
    zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post The positive aspect of 2-3 hourly small meals

Hi,

I know that 2-3 hourly small meals is highly recommended to speed up metabolism, etc. I have been practising it with clean diet and included excercises. My weight is slowly going down (1-2lbs per week).

However, I have problems explaining the rationale of this method to my friends. They said beautiful models have starvation modes and it worked great for the models. How can I dispute this argument? I'm scratching my head. Yes there is muscle loss for starvation, but my friend's point was "Well, she is slim now. Therefore, the starvation WORKS."

self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Well I'm on the keto diet and just say im diabetic and need to eat every 2 hours to keep blood sugar in check and all that stuff. My boss said oh okay if you ever need anything let me know!

Summary: Make **** up!
    Success isn't a goal, it is a by-product. - coach Eric Taylor

The one and only secret to my training is that I hate my body. Once you look in the mirror and say I like what I see, you've lost the battle. - Dr. Cox (Scrubs)

Time to get big!!!

LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I dont get the Above post, but.... You pretty much said it, there is muscle loss with starvation mode.
    I eat every 2-3 hours everyday. which comes out to about 7 to 9 small meals. It works for me, and I dont beng.

Back to what your freinds think... Look at the models that do this, they arent much more than skin and bones. If thats what you want to look like, fine, do that.
    But i dont think anyone want to look like that now and days, Plus its not very healthy.
    Its called discipline!

adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    metabolism is like a fire you gotta feed it for it to keep going
    models starve and will also have to to maintain being skinny cause they have killed their metabolism

its really hard to explain science to people who are not going to understand it
    my blogs
    howigotripped.wordpress.com
    submissiongrappling.wordpress.com

self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) self_made_hawk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I thought you meant how do you explain to people that you have to eat every two hours. I mis understood your post. But I just say look at yourself and then look at me. Science!

The one and only secret to my training is that I hate my body. Once you look in the mirror and say I like what I see, you've lost the battle. - Dr. Cox (Scrubs)

Time to get big!!!

zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10) zhixiong is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by self_made_hawk View Post
    I thought you meant how do you explain to people that you have to eat every two hours. I mis understood your post. But I just say look at yourself and then look at me. Science!
    Your explanation is great too. Sometimes people gave me the funny look why am I eating every 2-3 hours. They say I am going to be very fat soon. But it is not happening.. I am losing 1-2 lbs per week slow and nice pace.

Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Why do you NEED to justify what you do to them? Are they genuinely interested or are they flaming you for it? If they are giving you grief (e.g. "Hey man, you're ALWAYS eating", etc), just tell them to look at their own waistlines. If they are actually interested in what you are doing, just tell them the truth.

You've already explained some of it yourself - eating little and often speed up the metabolism. Furthermore, eating little and often helps to maintain blood sugar levels and, consequently, insulin levels. You also feel fuller for longer and are less likely to binge or overeat later on in the day.
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

ISSA CFT, SPN, FT, SSC, SFN
    NSCA CSCS

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's tough to open a closed mind

Just tell them that you like to eat
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

patsmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    How much can your average model bench press?

Location: Edinburgh, Midlothian, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    IrishMarc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishMarc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishMarc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishMarc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishMarc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishMarc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishMarc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishMarc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishMarc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishMarc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishMarc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The idea of eating every 2-3 hours as the golden standard came about during the 90s the general ideas behind it are as follows -

1 - Regulates blood sugars throughout the day and prevents irregular insulin spiking.
    2 - Allows for a steady stream of amino acids to be kept in the blood making sure the body has no excuse to use muscle tissue for cell repair also promoting the maintaining of lean body tissue.
    3 - By eating every few hours hunger is better controlled leading to better overall food choices.
    4 - By eating more frequently it becomes easier to get in a larger amount of Kcals from better sources (meat/veg) the resulting raised Kcal intake speeds up the metabolism. (note: eating every 2-3 hours on its own does not speed up the metabolism eating more food does)

Whilst starvation does work for wight loss it requires a constant low Kcal intake and the weight lost is usually 50/50 from adipose tissue and muscle. Also a few studies have showed by lowering your Kcal levels even as little as 4-500Kcals below your BMR can more than half your metabolic rate not good things for the aesthetically inclined lifter.
    www.castironstrength.com - no nonsense online training community.

Originally Posted by Environ View Post
    Why do you NEED to justify what you do to them? Are they genuinely interested or are they flaming you for it? If they are giving you grief (e.g. "Hey man, you're ALWAYS eating", etc), just tell them to look at their own waistlines. If they are actually interested in what you are doing, just tell them the truth.

You've already explained some of it yourself - eating little and often speed up the metabolism. Furthermore, eating little and often helps to maintain blood sugar levels and, consequently, insulin levels. You also feel fuller for longer and are less likely to binge or overeat later on in the day.
    I don't care about normal, regular people, but was talking about like at work and sometimes in class if I have to ninja eat. All my friends know I eat pretty often and it doesn't bother them.

Time to get big!!!

PrideOfNj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

wait loose weight??

i was under the impression that eating food every 2-3 hours would help you gain weight..

this is what ive been doing and its working pretty well in helping me reach my goal of 215 by June 20.

Wakeup = Fruit Smoothie

Like an Hour later 2 PB + J ..

2 Hours Later Cold Cut Sandwhich (Roastbeef + Chees or Ham + Cheese)

2 Hours Following That have a full course lunch provided by school

then I wait until about 4:15 and have like a few boiled eggs and maybe a protein shake..

then i eat at work

then i have one good dinner and another protein shake before i go to sleep...

Is this making my appetite go down or is it helping me out
    "This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it. Study it. Tweak it. Listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day. What are you on?" -Lance Armstrong

I'm sure sometimes people will say "What the **** are you doing eating every 3 hours?" or "Are you a pig?" or "Hey, food truck."

PrideOfNj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    can someone help clear up my misconception that eating every 2-3 hours will make me loose weight instead of help me gain weight? cause im a little bit confused!
    "This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it. Study it. Tweak it. Listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day. What are you on?" -Lance Armstrong

Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by self_made_hawk View Post
    I don't care about normal, regular people, but was talking about like at work and sometimes in class if I have to ninja eat. All my friends know I eat pretty often and it doesn't bother them.
    I was talking about them too (the people in your work/school). It's none of their business. And, many of them probably envy your commitment and dedication.
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

NSCA CSCS

Originally Posted by PrideOfNj View Post
    can someone help clear up my misconception that eating every 2-3 hours will make me loose weight instead of help me gain weight? cause im a little bit confused!
    Eating regularly elevates your metabolism and allows your body to better utilise the nutrients that you consume. That's all. It's the number of calories that is in those meals and the total daily or weekly calorie intake that will determine whether you gain or lose weight. But, either way, you should eat little and often, i.e. every 2 to 3 hours.
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

NSCA CSCS