iwhiwhumitchel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I think I got belly fat from Serious Mass

Hi everyone. I'm 36 years old, 6'2" (189cm) 93Kg. I started the "Shortcut to size" program by Jim Stoppani August last year (I was 84Kg back then) because I wanted to bulk up. I took ON Whey Protein and Serious Mass (2 scoops per day, 1 morning, 1 afternoon) to aid my goal. Now I have definitely added some muscle but I also packed on some fat around my belly area (at least an inch when I pinch it). I still want to pack on more muscle but I wonder what I can do to lose the stomach as it looks weird on my slim body. Does anyone have any tips. I started the Jim Stoppani program again as most of the others are 5 day workout programs that cannot work for me due to my work schedule. My pictures can be seen on my profile.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by iwhiwhumitchel View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm 36 years old, 6'2" (189cm) 93Kg. I started the "Shortcut to size" program by Jim Stoppani August last year (I was 84Kg back then) because I wanted to bulk up. I took ON Whey Protein and Serious Mass (2 scoops per day, 1 morning, 1 afternoon) to aid my goal. Now I have definitely added some muscle but I also packed on some fat around my belly area (at least an inch when I pinch it). I still want to pack on more muscle but I wonder what I can do to lose the stomach as it looks weird on my slim body. Does anyone have any tips. I started the Jim Stoppani program again as most of the others are 5 day workout programs that cannot work for me due to my work schedule. My pictures can be seen on my profile.
    You got your belly fat because your calorie intake exceeded your energy expenditure. It’s that simple. It doesn’t matter what the source of those calories was, whether it was Serious Mass or Rice Krispies. You went for the protein, and got the fat.

Now, you can either reduce your intake while continuing to lift heavy to lose the fat (you will also inevitably lose a minor amount of muscle mass and strength in the process), or you can prioritize the strength gains and accept the extra fat that comes with it.

The good news is that you can do both, although not at the same time. Be patient, but know what you’re doing and do it systematically.
    Last edited by ElrondHubbard; 07-11-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The above ^^^^^

Just so you can get a feel for the kinds of numbers you need, take a look at https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutcal.htm

drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The same thing happened to me during my 2nd year of lifting. I subscribed to the 'eat big to get big' theory. I blew up to 210lbs by the end of my 2nd year of lifting. I had definitely put on some muscle, but my belly grew too. I dialed back the eating a little, and the excess belly fat slowly came off. 2.5 years later I am 201 right now, and stronger than when I weighed 210. I think that I had just eaten too much too fast. For me, it seems like I can only gain muscle size and strength at a certain rate (VERY SLOWLY!, LOL). I could not speed it up by eating heavy amounts of food.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by drkelly74 View Post
    The same thing happened to me during my 2nd year of lifting. I subscribed to the 'eat big to get big' theory. I blew up to 210lbs by the end of my 2nd year of lifting. I had definitely put on some muscle, but my belly grew too. I dialed back the eating a little, and the excess belly fat slowly came off. 2.5 years later I am 201 right now, and stronger than when I weighed 210. I think that I had just eaten too much too fast. For me, it seems like I can only gain muscle size and strength at a certain rate (VERY SLOWLY!, LOL). I could not speed it up by eating heavy amounts of food.
    I think this is an important insight that a lot of novices miss. We’re constantly told to eat more to get bigger, and that you have to be in a surplus to gain muscle, and that’s true, but there’s a nuance to it. Muscle grows much more slowly than fat, and if your surplus is larger than the rate at which your muscles can grow, then fat will make up the difference. The easiest work-around is the bulk/cut cycle. Let the fat build up to a point, then go into a deficit to lose it. That’s what I’m doing now, and it’s ok, but I’m not convinced it’s the best approach, only the easiest.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Belly fats? So you want to tone up your tummy? Sounds like 5th grader talk tbh. We're all over 35 here.

Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette. If you feel you are gaining too fast perhaps try eating a little less each day.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000) tanksoldier is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You don’t get belly fat, you get fat.

Your body puts it where it wants.

To lose fat eat less.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    There are different types of fat. Visceral fat is inside the abdominal cavity. I'm certainly not the expert, but it's different than "normal" fat. it's much worse. You should get rid of it IMHO. I was the same way, I gained fat in order to get stronger. I think the human body will let you get away with doing that for some amount of time. Mine was fine with it for a long stretch of time.... until it wasn't. But I'm older than you. And, what do I know?
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

To lose fat eat less.
    Why do you have to make it all sound so complicated?

To lose fat eat less.
    But if I eat less then won't it affect my quest to build more muscle?

I'm currently doing that and it seems to be reducing albeit very slowly

What happens if you take 5 steps forwards, then 3 steps back, then another 5 steps forwards, then 3 more steps back -- and keep repeating that pattern?

You move forwards slowly, right? This is the aim of bulk and cut.

You "bulk", trying to add muscle but with not too much fat in the process (so only eat a bit extra, not too many extra calories)

Then you "cut", to some lose fat without losing too much muscle (so only diet a little, not a crash diet)

Repeat... to move forwards slowly. Training your butt off, the whole time

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    Belly fats? So you want to tone up your tummy? Sounds like 5th grader talk tbh. We're all over 35 here.

Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette. If you feel you are gaining too fast perhaps try eating a little less each day.
    Your first paragraph though, totally unnecessary. If I can't ask questions then why does this forum exist? Thanks anyways tho.