KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000)

Getting back into lifting (IF + tdee Q)

I went to the gym for about 10 years straight and took the last 5 years "off" and got fat. A couple concepts I am forgetting that I need clarification on.

1) When doing IF and you do a workout first thing in the morning what do you take before and after the workout? The knowledge here at the time was to take amino acids before and a small snack that had 30g of carbs and 30g of protein after IIRC.

2) Say my TDEE is 2000 cals, if I eat 2500 cals or 3000 cals I am going to gain weight regardless, but at a faster pace with 3000?

3) I remember doing a big cut when first starting out lifting (losing 10 lbs a month) and still being able to increase my lifts due to newb gains. What do you guys recommend to someone in my situation who used to lift a lot but let myself go. I am either considering the same thing I just listed or a slower cut but I dont know if doing a fast cut is going to eat up that much muscle since I havent had a physical job or went to the gym in a long time. I am assuming I will still be able to increase most of my lifts 5lbs per week for 2-3 months regardless of the cut since I will be starting very low on all lifts to prevent injury. Im 6ft 260 lbs.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    If you train first thing in the morning, IF is not a good thing to do. It is suboptimal for muscle protein synthesis already but what you describe is a worst case scenario.

If you don't like eating in the morning, at least have a protein shake (35g or more) immediately afterwards.

2) Yes. 500 is 1lb a week, 1000 is 2lb a week (approx)

3) I always recommend slower or intermittent dieting:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28925405

KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000) KingOfLimbs is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    If you train first thing in the morning, IF is not a good thing to do. It is suboptimal for muscle protein synthesis already but what you describe is a worst case scenario.

If you don't like eating in the morning, at least have a protein shake (35g or more) immediately afterwards.
    When do you eat and when do you work out then? I cant imagine eating a big meal and then going to the gym afterwards. If I have a 500-800 cal snack just before I go to bed and then wake up and work out isnt that snack I had the night before going to help in some way? Wouldnt holding off going to the gym longer the next day be even worse since it extends the time since youve last ate?

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by KingOfLimbs View Post
    When do you eat and when do you work out then? I cant imagine eating a big meal and then going to the gym afterwards. If I have a 500-800 cal snack just before I go to bed and then wake up and work out isnt that snack I had the night before going to help in some way? Wouldnt holding off going to the gym longer the next day be even worse since it extends the time since youve last ate?
    You can definitely eat the night before and train fasted in the morning. The point is to not train at 06:00 and then fast until noon. Training fasted in the morning and then consuming protein is fine.

You will likely experience noob gains again and should be able to gain strength fairly quickly. You can certainly diet quickly at first as you have a lot of bodyfat to lose; once the gains stop coming easily in the gym I would slow down the rate of weight loss to 1% per week.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Typical day for me:
    7am - protein shake
    11am - gym
    12am - lunch
    5pm - dinner
    10pm - whey + yogurt

Training fasted is fine if you go to the gym early - just have something afterwards.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Typical day for me:
    7am - protein shake
    11am - gym
    12am - lunch
    5pm - dinner
    10pm - whey + yogurt

Training fasted is fine if you go to the gym early - just have something afterwards.
    Aight thanks guys. I started IF 10ish years ago when people were still doubting that method and seems like the concept hasnt really changed. I will have my first meal 4 hours before sleep, 1200-1500 cals, and then a 500-800 cal snack 1hr to 30 mins before bed and wake up and go to the gym.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Aight thanks guys. I started IF 10ish years ago when people were still doubting that method and seems like the concept hasnt really changed. I will have my first meal 4 hours before sleep, 1200-1500 cals, and then a 500-800 cal snack 1hr to 30 mins before bed and wake up and go to the gym.
    If it works then by all means do it but theoretically training in the morning and then not consuming any protein until 4 hours before sleep in the evening is suboptimal.

mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    On IF, many mixed opinions out there but most people looking at the science behind IF will say no BCAAs, and definately no snack, that is not fasting, if you are ingesting calories, or even just increasing insulin levels you are negating most of the fasting benefits. Also mixed opinions on when working out during your fasted window, some say you need the protein synthesis and to fuel the muscles for growth afterwards and some say to workout right in the middle of the fasting window and the boost of test and HGH and other benefits will outweigh the loss of not feeding the muscles immediately.

I put off trying IF for a decade because I workout around 4am and wanted a feeding window around dinner time. I regret this and wish I started much earlier doing just that, I feel tremendous, life is easier eating with less frequency, and this is the first spring I have cut fat off my abs and increased strength at the same time. I'd say I am now looking the best I have in 10-15 years and credit the majority of that to IF (I need to update pics on here). Can't recommend IF enough.
    Last edited by mgftp; 07-08-2018 at 04:10 AM.
    12-5-23

Originally Posted by mgftp View Post
    On IF, many mixed opinions out there but most people looking at the science behind IF will say no BCAAs, and definately no snack, that is not fasting, if you are ingesting calories, or even just increasing insulin levels you are negating most of the fasting benefits. Also mixed opinions on when working out during your fasted window, some say you need the protein synthesis and to fuel the muscles for growth afterwards and some say to workout right in the middle of the fasting window and the boost of test and HGH and other benefits will outweigh the loss of not feeding the muscles immediately.

I put off trying IF for a decade because I workout around 4am and wanted a feeding window around dinner time. I regret this and wish I started much earlier doing just that, I feel tremendous, life is easier eating with less frequency, and this is the first spring I have cut fat off my abs and increased strength at the same time. I'd say I am now looking the best I have in 10-15 years and credit the majority of that to IF (I need to update pics on here). Can't recommend IF enough.
    Ty for the video. Hes recommending my exact plan as the most optimal for weight loss so thats great. When I decide to surplus I'll have to do more research. How long is your feeding window? My 4 hours is too long I take it?

mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mgftp has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Ty for the video. Hes recommending my exact plan as the most optimal for weight loss so thats great. When I decide to surplus I'll have to do more research. How long is your feeding window? My 4 hours is too long I take it?
    4 hours feeding window too long? I don't think so, what makes you say that?

I vary mine based upon what works for my schedule that day, sometimes I feed for 8 hours, sometimes 1, or anywhere between.
    12-5-23

Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100) Polaczo is not very well liked. (-100)
    you dont have to take anything just coffe or whatever then warm up lil bit cardio and then lifting after that normal meal