dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Macros noob needing advice!

Hey everyone, I'm bulking and am quite new to the whole macro calculating scene and would like some advice. From what I've gathered (looking at threads on here):

Step 1: Calculate maintenance calories
    Step 2: Increase calories by around 10% or so (?) and monitor and adjust calories to aim for about 0.5 lb a week gain
    Step 3: Calculate protein intake at 1g/lb of bodyweight
    Step 4: Calculate fat intake at half the result of protein intake (or 0.5g/lb)
    Step 5: Fill left over calories with carbs or a combination of all macros

Is this the right sort of idea? If so, could these calculations be applied when on a cut, with the only difference being that you're in a calorie deficit?

Thanks!

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by dairycorncarne View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm bulking and am quite new to the whole macro calculating scene and would like some advice. From what I've gathered (looking at threads on here):

Step 1: Calculate maintenance calories
    Step 2: Increase calories by around 10% or so (?) and monitor and adjust calories to aim for about 0.5 lb a week gain
    Step 3: Calculate protein intake at 1g/lb of bodyweight
    Step 4: Calculate fat intake at half the result of protein intake (or 0.5g/lb)
    Step 5: Fill left over calories with carbs or a combination of all macros

Is this the right sort of idea? If so, could these calculations be applied when on a cut, with the only difference being that you're in a calorie deficit?

Thanks!
    Yep pretty much. Track your intake accurately, ensure you get your minimums for protein and fat, exceeding them is fine. Adjust your calories up or down depending on your goal.

dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10) dairycorncarne is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Yep pretty much. Track your intake accurately, ensure you get your minimums for protein and fat, exceeding them is fine. Adjust your calories up or down depending on your goal.
    Thanks a lot man. Should I be decreasing my intake on days where I am not training?

1JFS3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1JFS3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1JFS3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1JFS3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1JFS3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1JFS3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1JFS3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1JFS3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1JFS3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1JFS3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1JFS3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dairycorncarne View Post
    Thanks a lot man. Should I be decreasing my intake on days where I am not training?
    Not necessary. Needs should be based off of a weekly "need." Or at least that's what I do. That said, if you feel you eat to support your training on training days, then by omitting that exercise on off days, you could reduce your intake. I personally think it is more of an annoyance because I like to have a set daily number, but if you can make the switch and feel it will benefit you, have at it.
    Myprotein's Official Bodybuilding.com Representative ✔
    ► Europe's #1 Online Sports Nutrition Brand ◄
    US Site: us.myprotein.com
    Rest of the world: myprotein.com
    Fuel Your Ambition!

B.S. Nutrition and Dietetics, University of Pittsburgh '16

*Disclaimer: All recommendations are not intended to treat or cure any serious medical conditions.