canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

switching from cutting to bulking

I'm coming to the end of my cut. I've been consistently 1000 calories under maintenance every day and losing 2 pounds a week. My maintenance is 3000 calories.

My question is when I bulk is it exactly the reverse? Should I take in 1000 calories over my maintenance, or should it be a slower approach?

I'm assuming 2lbs increase a week wont be all muscle so needs to be slower but then even 1lb a week wouldn't be all muscle. Bit confused.

Any advice?

Thanks
    The body doesn't struggle to lose weight...the mind does - keep measurements, keep your sanity.

I'm an Englishman living in Canada...oh how I miss a decent curry!

Former skinny fat member @ 158lbs - now 205lbs and 15%. It's been a long journey but a rewarding one.

lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    the general consensus is to eat in a very slight surplus - enough for about 1-2lb gain a month. (250kcal a day surplus)

canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by lukepeter View Post
    the general consensus is to eat in a very slight surplus - enough for about 1-2lb gain a month. (250kcal a day surplus)
    Ah OK - makes sense medically otherwise it'd be fat and muscle but I didn't know if after a long cut, whether at first those 500-1000 surplus calories might go straight to muscle gain as the muscles hadn't grown for so long. If that makes sense?
    The body doesn't struggle to lose weight...the mind does - keep measurements, keep your sanity.

Former skinny fat member @ 158lbs - now 205lbs and 15%. It's been a long journey but a rewarding one.

lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukepeter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    your body has a limited ability to make muscle out of the building blocks we give it... A number of things effect your bodies protein synthesis, but for the majority of us (natural), only a small surplus is usable for muscle gain. Conversely, the average human has the remarkable ability to store a monumental surplus as fat. Your starved muscles will build not much faster than normal, unstarved muscles, assuming you were not massively muscular before (its easier to re-build muscle than it is to build it initially).

Originally Posted by lukepeter View Post
    your body has a limited ability to make muscle out of the building blocks we give it... A number of things effect your bodies protein synthesis, but for the majority of us (natural), only a small surplus is usable for muscle gain. Conversely, the average human has the remarkable ability to store a monumental surplus as fat. Your starved muscles will build not much faster than normal, unstarved muscles, assuming you were not massively muscular before (its easier to re-build muscle than it is to build it initially).
    Interesting - almost unfair isn't it. That makes sense otherwise we'd all hit our goals after a year of lifting weights.

Ok - I'll go with 250 calories surplus and go from there.

Thanks for your advice.

DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Long story short.

(I'M NOT SAYING METABOLIC DAMAGE IS REAL MIND YOU)
    Your metabolism will downregulate a little bit, because of various reasons, during a cutting phase.
    If you whack on 2000 calories, as in maintenance + 1000, you will get pretty fat pretty damn soon.

I advise you to stick to maintenance + 300 and see what the scale does.
    Keep weighing yourself and compare weekly averages to change up your game plan if/when needed.
    - Slow progress, is progress.
    - Losing fat is a marathon, not a race.
    - Take care of your body, you've only got one.
    - Progressive overload + good form.

Originally Posted by DutchTeamUltra View Post
    Long story short.

(I'M NOT SAYING METABOLIC DAMAGE IS REAL MIND YOU)
    Your metabolism will downregulate a little bit, because of various reasons, during a cutting phase.
    If you whack on 2000 calories, as in maintenance + 1000, you will get pretty fat pretty damn soon.

I advise you to stick to maintenance + 300 and see what the scale does.
    Keep weighing yourself and compare weekly averages to change up your game plan if/when needed.
    Thanks! Appreciate the reply.

The extra calories - does it matter much about whether all protein or mix of protein/carbs etc? I'm currently getting 200 gr protein a day on my cut. Was thinking of going to 250gr of protein and the rest carbs with my new found calorie allowance.

Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000)
    In. I’m currently getting close to the end of my keto as well.

My vote goes to keeping protein at the same amount or a little higher and slowly adding carbs.
    Bench: 335x1 1/29/19
    Squat: 385x1 2/27/20
    Deadlift: 399x1 4/29/22
    OHP: 214x1 4/29/22

DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000) DutchTeamUltra is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by canadiancoops View Post
    Thanks! Appreciate the reply.

The extra calories - does it matter much about whether all protein or mix of protein/carbs etc? I'm currently getting 200 gr protein a day on my cut. Was thinking of going to 250gr of protein and the rest carbs with my new found calorie allowance.
    Well, the thing is;

If you meet your minimum requirements, which for bulking would be:

0,82 grams of protein per pound.
    0,4 grams of fat per pound.

* Per pound of total bodyweight.

You are free to fill the rest however you'd like.
    If you like more protein, go for it, but it's not like it's a necessity.

Well, the thing is;

If you meet your minimum requirements, which for bulking would be:

0,82 grams of protein per pound.
    0,4 grams of fat per pound.

* Per pound of total bodyweight.

You are free to fill the rest however you'd like.
    If you like more protein, go for it, but it's not like it's a necessity.
    Is that from a scientific study? Interesting as I couldn't imagine going down to around 150 gr of protein having got used to 200 on a cut.

Originally Posted by canadiancoops View Post
    Is that from a scientific study? Interesting as I couldn't imagine going down to around 150 gr of protein having got used to 200 on a cut.
    https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the...-bodybuilders/

This article contais a boatload of them.

There are some people that are adamant about getting 1 gram of protein per pound at all costs.
    Me? I get .82 minimum, but go over most days. So I'm at 1 gram per pound most of the time.

With that. You used 200 on a cut. Why would you need more during a bulk?
    Excess energy/carbs are protein/muscle sparing.

Laszlo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Laszlo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Laszlo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Laszlo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Laszlo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Laszlo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Laszlo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Laszlo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Laszlo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Laszlo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Laszlo18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    eat at maintenance for a week then go on a surplus 250/300 kcal

https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the...-bodybuilders/

This article contais a boatload of them.

There are some people that are adamant about getting 1 gram of protein per pound at all costs.
    Me? I get .82 minimum, but go over most days. So I'm at 1 gram per pound most of the time.

With that. You used 200 on a cut. Why would you need more during a bulk?
    Excess energy/carbs are protein/muscle sparing.
    Great cheers!

Good question about 'why more protein' Its cos I thought I'd read somewhere 1gr of protein x bw on cut and up to 1.5 gr of protein x bw on a bulk. Prob bros science as they say