Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barefoot squats

squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Lightbulb Barefoot squats

I have recently discovered that taking off my shoes is the best way to do squats. I can lift more weight, and my feet are stable on the ground. I don't get the leaning onto my toes that I do when I'm using shoes.

Now this may be because I had crap shoes that forced me iinto an unnatural position, or that my feet have more 'grip' on the floor than my shoes, but give it a go, and tell me what you think!

midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000) midian is just really nice. (+1000)
    i think it Pavell that said you shold squat barefoots, i tried it it works great indeed now i just have runing shoes to squat, it makes a small difference but not much

lucubration has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'll stick with shoes thanks

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    i train at home and never wear shoes to train.... so i have always squatted without shoes...well not entirely true did go to a gym for 6months...

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i squat barefoot (and every other lift) barefoot in my gym. tried wearing shoes once figuring mayble they'd give better grip....didn't like them.

i've gotta agree barefoot is the way to go if you can (safety)hygene, etc..)
    Booo

Nemon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wear high heels.

Keeps me on my toes. Did i just say that?

Heh, actually i'll try that bare foot thing, sounds good.

ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ahab has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've had workboots reccomended to me before.

Never heard of barefoot though, I'm not happy with how my shoes are treating me right now.
    I'd rather be lifting.

Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maroon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm going to try the barefoot squat. Been doing squats with shoes, but I'm interested in seeing the difference b/w shoe and barefoot. Thanks for the suggestion.

- Maroon
    Current Stats: 5'9"/205 lbs.

My bodybuilding axioms - discipline, hard training, and proper nutrition

Joske is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joske is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joske is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joske is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joske is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joske is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joske is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joske is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joske is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joske is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joske is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Reason why you have more stability when you squat/deadlift on your bare feet/socks is cause most sneakers and running shoes etc that are "good for your feet" have these air crap etc, wich plays dirty tricks on your extensor reflex.
    "Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam." - Winston Churchill

squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I agree, I think its because the heel unit on trainers, lifts your foot up, so it causes the weight to be put forward, and when you squat, once your tipped forward, the weight keeps on going forward, ruining your form.

Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs down

Squatting barefoot, especially going heavy, is close to the worst thing you could ever do to your feet. Unless of course, you _want_ flat (ie deformed) feet down the road...

Having proper support under your feet is KEY -- you're putting an extremely large stress on them. You want to keep the arches in your feet by having good shoes with good support. Personally, I add a 3rd party rigid arch support to give me extra arch. The only thing worse than crappy worn-out shoes is going barefoot. In fact, you might even want to consider using newer shoes to work out than for everyday wear.

If you don't believe me, my dad works in shoes and specializes in fitting... he has customers come in that have flat feet and have been developing other problems (back and knee mostly). As soon as they walk around for a bit with a good-fitting pair of shoes on their feet, the other problems are noticeably reduced. Your entire body rests on your feet, and if you **** them up, you're setting yourself up for other problems down the road.

Anyway, it's up to you, of course, but I wouldn't recommend it.

amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by Limbo
    Squatting barefoot, especially going heavy, is close to the worst thing you could ever do to your feet. Unless of course, you _want_ flat (ie deformed) feet down the road...

how does it cause flat feet?
    Booo

peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peregrine is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i don't believe squatting barefoot causes flat feet. running and activities with jumping may do this. or jump squats.

i squat barefoot. the geeks in the gym just look and wonder. you got more strength this way. the best squatters often do squats with no shoes. better base. running shoes are the worst to use when doing legs. if i squat with shoes i use court shoes.
    Henry Rollins
    It took me years to fully appreciate the value of the lessons I have learned from the Iron... I learned that nothing good comes without work and a certain amount of pain. When I finish a set that leaves me shaking, I know more about myself. When something gets bad, I know it can't be as bad as that workout.

Sensei Creese:Cobra KAi founder
    Mercy is for the weak, we do not train to be merciful here, a man faces you, he is the enemy, the enemy deserves no mercy...

CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up

Chuck Taylor's shoes are the way to go !
    "Everything would have been geared for making my body able to withstand another small dose of iron on the bar for each exercise every week or two, even if it was just a few ounces. " -Stuart McRobert.

Originally posted by peregrine
    i don't believe squatting barefoot causes flat feet. running and activities with jumping may do this. or jump squats.

that's what i'm thinking....i've been squatting bare foot for years (although that may not necessarily make it right )

on a side-note..today was leg day. finished squatting (barefoot ) about 40minutes ago
    Booo

nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nosliw is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by amusclehead
    i squat barefoot (and every other lift) barefoot in my gym. tried wearing shoes once figuring mayble they'd give better grip....didn't like them.

i've gotta agree barefoot is the way to go if you can (safety)hygene, etc..)
    me too also because they keep me too hot and sweaty

TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by CyberGod
    Chuck Taylor's shoes are the way to go !
    Bump to that, I train barefoot when I can, but if have to go to gym where they require shoes, I toss On the old Chuck t's.

And that stuff about getting flat feet from barefoot lifting is just plain silly.

AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't Squat barefoot. But have read good things about it. If it feels natural then go for it.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Dont know if this sounds stupid but how would any weight training ie squats etc ever make you go flat footed...

Originally posted by scott_donald
    Dont know if this sounds stupid but how would any weight training ie squats etc ever make you go flat footed...
    bump, i'm still curious if it's possible as well
    Booo

nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nubreed has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What about wearing running flats? They have a little more arch support than bare feet and most of the foot is like 1/8 inch from the ground. I was thinking about picking up a pair for leg days.

ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    i squatted today barefoot and it feels natural..feet feel better on floor and easier to adjust ...ill keep doin it..was able to get deeper too. imo

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Felt the need to bump another old thread? 2003?

guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Strong bump.

If you really wanna feel badazz, squat completely naked and barefoot...

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Limbo View Post

Having proper support under your feet is KEY -- you're putting an extremely large stress on them. You want to keep the arches in your feet by having good shoes with good support. Personally, I add a 3rd party rigid arch support to give me extra arch. The only thing worse than crappy worn-out shoes is going barefoot. In fact, you might even want to consider using newer shoes to work out than for everyday wear.

If you don't believe me, my dad works in shoes and specializes in fitting... he has customers come in that have flat feet and have been developing other problems (back and knee mostly). As soon as they walk around for a bit with a good-fitting pair of shoes on their feet, the other problems are noticeably reduced. Your entire body rests on your feet, and if you **** them up, you're setting yourself up for other problems down the road.

Anyway, it's up to you, of course, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    Go look at powerlifters squatting in chuck taylors and deadlifting in slips. Squatting heavy in running shoes really causes my heel to squish against the padding which isnt what you want with 400+ on your back.

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    converse all stars or in socks for me at the gym....if home, i would go barefoot/socks as well.

artstrength77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Nemon View Post
    I wear high heels.

Keeps me on my toes. Did i just say that?

Heh, actually i'll try that bare foot thing, sounds good.
    I agree. My pumps give me that little extra pep in my step :/

ednaaard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ednaaard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ednaaard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ednaaard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ednaaard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've always squatted in bare feet to be honest. The first time I squatted the gym PT told me that it's best and I've always stuck to it; I don't know any different. May try next Leg day just to see lol.

hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hanger1989 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Smile

I'm the same I always do squats and deadlifts with no shoes on.

Squats because it's easier to keep your balance and deadlifts because your closer to the floor, so you can lift more.

You'll find that most powerlifters and strongmen do the same.

extremegrape will become famous soon enough. (+50) extremegrape will become famous soon enough. (+50) extremegrape will become famous soon enough. (+50) extremegrape will become famous soon enough. (+50) extremegrape will become famous soon enough. (+50) extremegrape will become famous soon enough. (+50) extremegrape will become famous soon enough. (+50) extremegrape will become famous soon enough. (+50) extremegrape will become famous soon enough. (+50) extremegrape will become famous soon enough. (+50) extremegrape will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    some necro bros here?
    really i think flat shoes are best, keeping you stable, and not making you slip