Acton67 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

1 week into the Keto diet!

Hey guys, I'm new here to bodybuilding.com, and I just started on the keto diet a week ago. I realize this is a long post, but I figured I'd be thorough.

Like I said before I just started a week ago on the keto diet; I've been following the 2-week diet plan over at diet doctor who has been a tremendous straightforward experience. They've got video recipes with most of their meals which helps me out a lot since I usually never cook much in the first place.

I'm a 29 years old male going on 30 next month. I'm 6'1 and weigh 280. My target weight is 215. My goal is to retain and even build more lean muscle mass. I recently purchased a digital weight scale and a tape measure off of Amazon to keep better tabs on how well I'm doing.

After doing some research a few months ago on the keto diet, I found out about intermittent fasting, and I decided to try it along with this diet because I figured it would help me get into ketosis faster. I'm trying to follow an 18 hour fast, with a 6 hour eating period between 4pm-10pm. I work as an RN on the night shift, and I do 3 13 hour shifts a week, plus 2 hours of driving.

According to the macro calculator I used my daily macro goals should be 2899 calories, 22g of carb, 228g of fat, and 190g of protein. These macros were calculated with consideration to a moderate amount of activity, and a moderate calorie deficit. I believe that was a 20% calorie deficit, which was 500 calories but I can't remember.

This weekend was really busy for me. On Friday I was only able to make scrambled eggs in the morning, which included four eggs and 3 ounces of butter. The macros for that meal worked out to be 586 calories, 1 gram of carbs, 52 grams of fat, and 25 grams of protein. I was just as busy today, I ate the same for breakfast, and only had enough time to make the same again for dinner, plus I added 1 ounce of cheese to make it a little different. The macros for the cheddar cheese were 115 calories, 10 grams of fat, and 7 grams of protein. My total calorie intake was 1,287, while my calorie goal was 2899. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to the gym today because I didn't realize that they closed earlier on weekends. The interesting part of all this is that I didn't feel hungry at all this weekend. I tried making some bulletproof coffee with my dinner to get some more calories in, but unfortunately, I need a new blender.

Initially, I thought I was okay since I wasn't hungry, and that being at a high-calorie deficit meant more weight loss. After reading an article concerning loose skin after weight loss and realizing how quickly I could potentially lose weight on the keto diet, I realized it's better to lose weight while maintaining and even building upon lean muscle mass. At this point, I'm not sure if intermittent fasting and going through the day with significant calorie deficits such as was the case for me this weekend is in the best interest of maintaining lean muscle mass.

I also invested in the keto-mojo ketone blood testing kit. The kit finally came in this morning, and I tested my ketones before I ate breakfast. My ketone level was at 4.5mmol. After eating dinner tonight, I was at 5.2mmol. Maybe my ketone level is so high because I've been so low on carbs for the last 48 hours? I went through the keto flu for two days earlier in the week; I feel fine now, so I'm hoping that my body is starting to become keto-adapted.

As far as my current "workout routine" goes, I'm going to the gym four times a week. I warm up on the treadmill for 5 minutes, work out on five resistance machines by doing a circuit of upper and lower body workouts just to get my muscles warmed up, then end by doing short periods of High-Intensity Interval Training. Right now for interval training, I jump on the elliptical for 5 minutes. At this point I'm only able to spring for 15 seconds, and then give myself 45 seconds of rest in between. I recently purchased the Garmin vivo active 3 to see how high I'll be able to get my heart rate up while doing the training. I've also started working out on some resistance machines by doing a circuit of upper and lower body machines just to get my muscles working. I know this is hardly a workout but like I mentioned before I wanted to avoid having to suffer through DOMS and the keto flu during the same period.

I'm not sure if I should take it easy at the gym for another week and focus on cardio, or if I should jump into it this week. Previously I've lost some weight by just following a regular diet with just water and eating at a calorie deficit while cutting carbs and increasing my protein intake. I felt that most of my weight loss came from my workouts at the gym where I usually incorporated HIIT every day at the gym and often did a three-day rotation of upper body, lower body and a rest day. In those past experiences, I failed because I always felt hungry and then ended up giving in at some point which made me feel like **** and ended with me throwing in the towel.

On this diet cravings or the feeling of being hungry hasn't seemed to be an issue. Again I am concerned about maintaining and building lean muscle mass, especially when it comes to my macros. I understand what gluconeogenesis is, and that by taking in too much protein can undermine a keto diet, but if I want to maintain muscle mass should I be concerned about how much protein I'm taking in?

In the past, I was on the wrestling team in high school in the 215lb class, and after that, I worked at FedEx for three years as a package handler. I don't have an aversion to working out hard; I love the feeling of accomplishment after finishing a workout and knowing that I pushed myself. Like most people, I hate DOMS though, and I usually get it bad during the first two weeks.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing? I'm concerned about losing weight too quickly and having loose skin. I'm a tall guy and my guts not too big considering my weight. Most people are surprised when I tell them I weigh 280 because I'm tall and it's over a larger frame. I do have significant stretch marks on my abdomen though due to the weight gain. From what I've read losing the weight more slowly while maintaining and building muscle mass is critical here in reducing loose skin. I want you guys to be straight with me, based on what you guys have seen from my pictures what do you think my chances are of having loose skin?

I realize that by looking to lose weight quickly, I'm looking for instant gratification which is what lead me to gain all this weight in the first place. I want to develop a routine that keeps my muscle mass that I have as well as helps me to build more lean muscle mass while I lose weight. If that takes longer, that's fine. I'd rather look ripped than just skinny anyway.
    Attached Images

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Follow a beginning strength routine like fierce 5, starting strength etc. they will keep you focused on progression and allow you the best gains. Frequency is the cure for DOMs, basic beginner program will take care of that too after the first week or two.

I wouldn’t worry too much about running your protein around 190-200 in regard to “keto”. It’s a tool to help reduce hunger primarily. The secondary effects for some likely more related to the lack of carbs and insulin changes.

Stretch marks, loose skin etc will fade by losing the excess weight and keeping it off. Skin elasticity will vary person to person, but not something you should worry about until you get there.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Like Plateaupower said, your ketone levels aren't really important. In order to lose fat you need to be in caloric deficit. You don't need to be in ketosis for that.

Acton67 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Like Plateaupower said, your ketone levels aren't really important. In order to lose fat you need to be in caloric deficit. You don't need to be in ketosis for that.
    Thanks for the tips guys. According to my macros if I'm hitting the gym 4 times a week and doing HIIT, do you guys think I'll be at enough of a calorie deficit?

I'll definitely look up those beginner strength routines as well!

Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000) Teague242 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Don’t worry too much about being in a deficit for now. You’re just starting out on the diet, eat so that you’re not hungry and pay attention to how you feel. You’ll lose lots of water weight in the first few week. I lose around 10 lbs, then it’ll start to even out and you’ll be losing a few lbs a week. After a few weeks start lowering your fat and watch the scale.

Try for 5 lbs a week but if you’re consistently losing weight don’t try to increase the deficit and make it harder.

Don’t obsess too much about the calculator too. Just start at 2800-3k calories and work your way down. Use that number as a baseline and eat that a couple weeks and see what happens. If you don’t lose anything then go 100 calories lower and keep going until you see some weight loss.

It’s not very hard. Basically what I would do if I were you is eat your planned macros for a few weeks and go from there. You’ll have a better understanding of what you need to do that way. Go as hard as you can in the gym too. Once you get past the induction phase you’ll have plenty of energy.
    Bench: 335x1 1/29/19
    Squat: 385x1 2/27/20
    Deadlift: 399x1 4/29/22
    OHP: 214x1 4/29/22

decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100)
    I disagree slightly with the above post; you NEED to watch your calories and macros if your intention is ketosis and weight loss; macros for ketosis and calories for weight loss. At 6'1" and 280, you should see weight melting off for the first few weeks/months. I'm 6' and was 215 when I started a month ago and I weighed this past Saturday at 198. I've only been doing light exercise, but my calories have been right around 1700. I don't know how you plan to lose significant weight consuming 3k calories unless you really do burn it off that hard in the gym.

Some folks don't recommend hitting the gym for the first few weeks of keto until you see how your body adapts and what your exercise tolerance is. Now that I'm adapted, it's great. I hit the gym about 3-4 days a week for about 30 minutes a pop, usually weight training. Nothing too crazy or impressive.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck. Seriously - watch what you eat carefully. Get MyFitnessPal (premium) so you can really hone in on what you're doing. Even use it on your cheat days so you have a good accounting.

Regarding the stretch marks, that's probably unavoidable coming from 280. I have them and I've only ever been as high as 215. I had them when I got down to 155lbs 10 years ago. You're going to have to focus on something else; like how amazing you feel and how much energy you have! Good luck! If you join MFP, hit me up; same username as here.
    Lucky me swimming in my ability; dancing down on life with agility!

Registered User AndrewBrownKeto's Avatar
    AndrewBrownKeto is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I agree with decreebass, you definitely need to watch your macros and monitor your ketosis levels to be successful on the keto diet. Yes, you can lose weight by simply maintaining a caloric deficit, but you must be in ketosis to get all of the benefits of the keto diet. Since you are newer to the diet, I commend you on reaching out for help, a good support system is key!

If you are having trouble hitting your caloric intake and macros, you would benefit from making some fat bombs to carry with you to work or while on the go. Fat bombs are a lifesaver for me, because I am always overextended, and don't always have time to take a break to eat. These little balls of fat let me stuff my face in 30 seconds and move on with my day.

Intermittent fasting is tough, but there are many benefits that it brings to your diet and your overall life longevity. If your eating window is working for you, keep it up. If it's making the transition to your new diet more difficult, take time to adjust to the keto diet, Then add it back into your routine.

Good luck!

decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100) decreebass is not very well liked. (-100)
    Regarding IF, I've accidentally stumbled upon it. I need to work on increasing my daily calories because the way I've been doing it is not eating all day, then eating a big 1100 or so calorie keto meal in the afternoon, then not eating again for 24 hours. I feel fine, good even, but I don't want too high of a caloric deficit. You start to get obsessive over timing and calories and then you end up tip-toeing into the eating disorder category.

In any case, 2 Keot Dudes have a good podcast about intermittent fasting; one of them swears by it. So now, we not only have to think about how MUCH we eat, and WHAT we eat, but now WHEN we eat. This is graduate-level ketoing so I wouldn't worry too much about it for now. For now concentrate on macros and calories unless you just want that extra edge.

How are things going? Are you having any success?
    Lucky me swimming in my ability; dancing down on life with agility!

djespee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) djespee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) djespee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) djespee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) djespee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) djespee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) djespee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) djespee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) djespee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    This calorie deficit jargon is a myth IMO. A calorie is not a calorie. The reason some of us are fat is because of the wonderful storage hormone called Insulin. What macro triggers insulin the most? You guessed it, Carbs/Sugars/Starches.

In a perfectly healthy human, insulin delivers the instant energy that carbs provide to our cells, that we can use instantly.

But over-doing it creates a problem called Insulin Resistance, where the cells don't take in the glucose/energy, thus triggering the insulin to store this energy by converting to triglycerides and placing the fat in your body. When you see a seriously overweight person and wonder how this person can be so hungry, it is because he/she is VERY insulin resistant and cells cannot absorb what the person is taking in.

Calorie deficit is just a small piece of the puzzle, your body adjusts to the calories it burns as you keep lowering & lowering calories.

Keep insulin levels low = fat loss.

Fat loss can't occur at the presence of insulin.

What macro triggers insulin the least??

FAT.

Stick to healthy fats and shred the fat!!

chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by djespee View Post
    This calorie deficit jargon is a myth IMO. A calorie is not a calorie. The reason some of us are fat is because of the wonderful storage hormone called Insulin. What macro triggers insulin the most? You guessed it, Carbs/Sugars/Starches.

In a perfectly healthy human, insulin delivers the instant energy that carbs provide to our cells, that we can use instantly.

But over-doing it creates a problem called Insulin Resistance, where the cells don't take in the glucose/energy, thus triggering the insulin to store this energy by converting to triglycerides and placing the fat in your body. When you see a seriously overweight person and wonder how this person can be so hungry, it is because he/she is VERY insulin resistant and cells cannot absorb what the person is taking in.

Calorie deficit is just a small piece of the puzzle, your body adjusts to the calories it burns as you keep lowering & lowering calories.

Keep insulin levels low = fat loss.

Fat loss can't occur at the presence of insulin.

What macro triggers insulin the least??

FAT.

Stick to healthy fats and shred the fat!!
    This, so much this.

Can't believe how many bros on this forum are still saying it's all about calories in vs calories out.
    "When you are the best fighter in the world they have a name for you. They don't call you a great fighter, they call you Chael Sonnen" -Chael Sonnen (R)

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by chrisjd View Post
    This, so much this.

Can't believe how many bros on this forum are still saying it's all about calories in vs calories out.
    This is nonsense. While I cannot disagree that for me personally there seems to be a major advantage using keto for fatloss, and there even seems to be some metabolic advantage (disadvantage actually, using calories less efficiently), calories still matter. I guarantee I can gain weight eating 0 carbs just eating meats and oils. I think the diet is effective for some, specifically those who have “metabolic syndrome” or carbs cause hunger and fatigue. That said it is not magic, and still requires an energy deficit to lose fat. Whether that energy deficit is slightly diffferent (higher TDEE) than when consuming carbs is irrelevant.

chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisjd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    This is nonsense. While I cannot disagree that for me personally there seems to be a major advantage using keto for fatloss, and there even seems to be some metabolic advantage (disadvantage actually, using calories less efficiently), calories still matter. I guarantee I can gain weight eating 0 carbs just eating meats and oils. I think the diet is effective for some, specifically those who have “metabolic syndrome” or carbs cause hunger and fatigue. That said it is not magic, and still requires an energy deficit to lose fat. Whether that energy deficit is slightly diffferent (higher TDEE) than when consuming carbs is irrelevant.
    I don't think any of us are saying that you can eat as many calories as you want and still lose weight, but anyone saying "a calorie is just a calorie, they're all the same" is sorrily wrong.
    "When you are the best fighter in the world they have a name for you. They don't call you a great fighter, they call you Chael Sonnen" -Chael Sonnen (R)

Originally Posted by chrisjd View Post
    I don't think any of us are saying that you can eat as many calories as you want and still lose weight, but anyone saying "a calorie is just a calorie, they're all the same" is sorrily wrong.
    Well ya, if they come from different macros they will be treated differently in the body in regard to metabolism and use. That said when speaking to energy equation of being either in a surplus or a deficit calories matter, so when it comes down to simplifying it to calories in calories out, that is all that matters. You can eat at a deficit purely of crispy creme doughnuts and lose fat. You can eat a surplus of grass fed steak and get fatter.

Keto works very well for me in terms of fat loss, energy, everything. However, I do see a lot of nonsense posted about it, here and other places.