gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Help on planning for madcow 5x5 intermediate

I am looking to be doing a fairly slow cut over the course of two months or so. I will be somewhere around a 300-500 calorie defecit.

During this period i plan on doing madcow intermediate 5x5. I did this program once before about 4 months ago and experienced solid linear gains for about 5-6 weeks (it probbaly would've been longer but i didn't really understand the deconditioning phase).

Since i will be at a caloric defecit i would think it is unwise to expect the same strength gains that i would as though i were bulking. Therefore i am wondering how i should go about setting up the linear style of increasing weights. Would it be best to just use micro-weights and maybe drop the % to increase each week?

Some more relative info:

i have been seriously weight training for about 1.5 years (although for the first year i did a basic single-bodypart split and really overtrained)

My current lifts are approximately in this range (i haven't tested my maxes at this rep range in at least a month)

These are all for 5 reps:

Squat 250-275

Flat BB bench: 185-205

Deadlift: 290-305

Incline BB bench 175-190
    (i have been doing a lot of incline training lately with)

BB Rows 140-170
    (i haven't done these in awhile so it will take a bit to get back into it, however i have been doing one arm bent over DB rows with 100lb DBs, which should translate to higher numbers on the bb rows)

Seated DB Military press 70-80lb DBs
    (i have no idea what that would be on a BB)

Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Im not too sure on the weights thing but im pretty sure at least try to hope to maintain your strength. Dont think just because you're cutting you're going to lose a whole load of strength.
    Hello

gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50) gischer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Alfz View Post
    Im not too sure on the weights thing but im pretty sure at least try to hope to maintain your strength. Dont think just because you're cutting you're going to lose a whole load of strength.

i expect to gain a little strength. Last time i was cutting down i gained between 5-20lbs on various lifts over the course of two months on a regular uper/lower-heavy/light split.

From what i understand when cutting you usually have to worry about mass loss (due to catabolism), but strength loss shouldn't be much of an issue since it is more closely tied to motor unit activation rather than muscle size.

gaynorj.12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaynorj.12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaynorj.12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaynorj.12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaynorj.12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaynorj.12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaynorj.12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaynorj.12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaynorj.12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaynorj.12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gaynorj.12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gischer View Post
    Since i will be at a caloric defecit i would think it is unwise to expect the same strength gains that i would as though i were bulking. Therefore i am wondering how i should go about setting up the linear style of increasing weights. Would it be best to just use micro-weights and maybe drop the % to increase each week?
    I was wondering this too. How much weight should you increase while cutting? Also if anyone knows- while cutting you can lose both strength and muscle, So if you are looking to lose the least amount of strength should you use a stregth program while cutting? And to lessen muscle loss while cutting choose a mass program?
    Last edited by gaynorj.12; 03-08-2007 at 09:29 AM.

Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by gaynorj.12 View Post
    I was wondering this too. How much weight should you increase while cutting? Also if anyone knows- while cutting you can lose both strength and muscle, So if you are looking to lose the least amount of strength should you use a stregth program while cutting? And to lessen muscle loss while cutting choose a mass program?
    I wouldn't change the progression from the 2.5% that Madcow has built in to his template. You can definitely gain strength while cutting, probably even some muscle. The key is to stay away from drastic cuts where you're looking to drop an unrealistic amount of weight or fat in a very short period of time.

Keep your caloric deficit moderate and cycle your calories throughout the week so your highest calorie days coincide with your most demanding lifting sessions.

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree with Helis. Run the program as your normally would and see how you respond to it. You'll be better equipped to make adjustments (if there needs to be any at all) after running the program for a while as opposed to guessing ahead of time and selling yourself short.

ok thanks guys, i will run it as normal and see how it goes.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you plan on losing weight while running this program there's a few things you can do. First is put your current 5RM's at 6 weeks out, instead of 4. As well, you can adjust the % interval upwards of the default 12.5, thought I wouldn't go higher than 15%.
    Remember, the same amount of weight lifted at a lighter bodyweight is a stronger lift.