Registered User SwinginAnMissin's Avatar
    SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up Trying to get back into shape, after some bad life choices.

I was somewhat lean and I use to hit the gym often but some things happend in life, like losing some close family members, having issues at my educational platform, and breaking up with my longtime girlfriend, combined all this stuff made my weight shoot up over the past 2 years or so, and I never really paid attention, I mean I knew I was getting fat but I was trying to ignore it. I have a decent understanding of nutrition and my own body, but I have been running into a few issues lately, so first of all I am currently on 1,500 calories daily, which is CONSIDERABLY low, but I only intend to do this for 3 months before switching up to something more sustainable, in terms of actually sticking to 1,500 calories I always found it easy, even when I was doing cuts before I became overweight, it's now understandably a bit more difficult as I have become use to stuffing my face, but I managed to conquer my demons in that regard, and I no longer use food as an outlet, so here...is where my issue begins I have been on this cut for almost three weeks, and I haven't seen much change expect for lets say about a pound of fat, then again it could just be excess water retention and I could be a moron, but I would still rather get some other opinions involved.

It may just be because I am impatient in terms of going back into a healthy lifestyle, but I expected at least a kilogram in those 3 weeks considering the deficit, I might just be thinking like a total twat, so feel free to to call me out on it, but for the love of all that is holy, I would rather not see a broscience comment about starvation mode and how my metabolism has dropped to functioning at 1,500 calories, I am only doing this for 3 months AND even if I did it for a more extended period of time I would still not drop to a TDEE or a BMR of 1,500 the most harm I would do is slightly slow down my metabolism but an somewhat negligible amount.

H- 6'1
    W- 123.2 kg
    Age - 23 (not 47...no idea why my age defaulted at 47.)

Calories - 1,500
    Protein - 169g
    Carbs - 94g
    Fat - 50g

Routine -
    ** I currently have a desk job, so when I am not working out, I am literally on my ass on a chair, but I workout daily so I am not sure if that at least counteracts that. **
    40 minutes - 5x5 lifts
    30 minutes - HIT Cardio on an incline

Supplements -
    omega 3-fish oil
    multivitamin.

I don't really believe in the 100s of fat burning supplements on the market, but omega 3 is just useful in general for health reasons, and the multivitamin helps here and there, so I don't really supplement with anything besides those two things.

cantgetveins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cantgetveins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cantgetveins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cantgetveins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cantgetveins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cantgetveins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cantgetveins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cantgetveins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cantgetveins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cantgetveins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cantgetveins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SwinginAnMissin View Post
    I was somewhat lean and I use to hit the gym often but some things happend in life, like losing some close family members, having issues at my educational platform, and breaking up with my longtime girlfriend, combined all this stuff made my weight shoot up over the past 2 years or so, and I never really paid attention, I mean I knew I was getting fat but I was trying to ignore it. I have a decent understanding of nutrition and my own body, but I have been running into a few issues lately, so first of all I am currently on 1,500 calories daily, which is CONSIDERABLY low, but I only intend to do this for 3 months before switching up to something more sustainable, in terms of actually sticking to 1,500 calories I always found it easy, even when I was doing cuts before I became overweight, it's now understandably a bit more difficult as I have become use to stuffing my face, but I managed to conquer my demons in that regard, and I no longer use food as an outlet, so here...is where my issue begins I have been on this cut for almost three weeks, and I haven't seen much change expect for lets say about a pound of fat, then again it could just be excess water retention and I could be a moron, but I would still rather get some other opinions involved.

It may just be because I am impatient in terms of going back into a healthy lifestyle, but I expected at least a kilogram in those 3 weeks considering the deficit, I might just be thinking like a total twat, so feel free to to call me out on it, but for the love of all that is holy, I would rather not see a broscience comment about starvation mode and how my metabolism has dropped to functioning at 1,500 calories, I am only doing this for 3 months AND even if I did it for a more extended period of time I would still not drop to a TDEE or a BMR of 1,500 the most harm I would do is slightly slow down my metabolism but an somewhat negligible amount.

H- 6'1
    W- 123.2 kg

Calories - 1,500
    Protein - 169g
    Carbs - 94g
    Fat - 50g

Routine -
    ** I currently have a desk job, so when I am not working out, I am literally on my ass on a chair, but I workout daily so I am not sure if that at least counteracts that. **
    40 minutes - 5x5 lifts

Supplements -
    omega 3-fish oil
    multivitamin.

I don't really believe in the 100s of fat burning supplements on the market, but omega 3 is just useful in general for health reasons, and the multivitamin helps here and there, so I don't really supplement with anything besides those two things.
    you are cutting almost half of your calorie intake your weight loss will stall after 2- 3 weeks you need at least 2k calories according to your height weight cutting calories that much can cause hormonal imbalance , starvation
    if you will take 2500 cal a day you will still lose about 3 lbs a week with that 40 30 min workouts . you don't need to hear comments about starvation okay but i am not talking about health problems you know how body works? you lose weight too fast and you gain all weight back sooner or later . it's just yo yo dieting you will gain weight back good luck hope you know what are you doing

SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SwinginAnMissin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cantgetveins View Post
    you are cutting almost half of your calorie intake your weight loss will stall after 2- 3 weeks you need at least 2k calories according to your height weight cutting calories that much can cause hormonal imbalance , starvation
    if you will take 2500 cal a day you will still lose about 3 lbs a week with that 40 30 min workouts . you don't need to hear comments about starvation okay but i am not talking about health problems you know how body works? you lose weight too fast and you gain all weight back sooner or later . it's just yo yo dieting you will gain weight back good luck hope you know what are you doing
    Yoyo dieting is about returning to an unhealthy lifestyle after undergoing a large deficit and then binge eating and returning to your previous weight, food was never a problem for me in general, I only started eating uncontrollably very recently in life due to emotional issues that I have resolved, I have never ate out of unhinged hunger in general so I am confident enough in my will power to not crash and burn and eat like a pig, plus as I said I will only be doing this for 3 months before increasing my calories slowly until I am on a more sustainable diet. As for the 2-3 week stalling, can you explain that to me, as I was under the assumption that eating more isn't going to make me lose more, and currently I have more than enough fat storage to undertake a somewhat nasty deficit I would be surprised if my body was unable find energy from something else other than my daily intake, but as I said I am interested in hearing why it will stall, as I am unaware of any reason why.

I get the principle of telling people who are at 15% bf or whatever that dropping a large deficit is unwise as they aren't technically holding onto the much fat, but when you are near 30ish I am fairly sure it's abit safe to drop more knowing that you have alot more to burn, but regardless I came here to learn, so if you do have something to back up your claim I would love to read it, no sarcasm intended.

okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What worked for you at one weight and point in time won't necessarily work for you at another. Read the stickies on figuring out your diet and do that instead of doing what you did when your body and possibly your lifestyle was different.

Originally Posted by okayest View Post
    What worked for you at one weight and point in time won't necessarily work for you at another. Read the stickies on figuring out your diet and do that instead of doing what you did when your body and possibly your lifestyle was different.
    I get that but, if I was able to cut at 1,500 at a lower weight is there any particular reason that I wouldn't be able to do it at a higher weight? I was thinking of upping my calories to 1,800 or 2000.

My BMR is 2530, and my TDEE is about 2963.

okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Too large of a deficit will very likely lead to decreasing strength, lean mass and your ability to stick to your plan. -50% is way too much. -30% is pushing it. -20% is max recommended.

grayguo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grayguo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

H- 6'1
    W- 123.2 kg

Calories - 1,500
    Protein - 169g
    Carbs - 94g
    Fat - 50g

Routine -
    40 minutes - 5x5 lifts

Supplements -
    omega 3-fish oil
    multivitamin.

Hey SwinginAnMissin, I don't know why your weight has stalled after being on a large calorie deficit and your current exercise program. I'll give you a few questions that will hopefully help.

Have you been sleeping enough? Deprived sleep can increase cortisol levels and hamper recover and fat loss.

Do you weigh your calories or eye ball them? It's easy to miscalculate when you eyeball your calories. A table of oil can be actually 2 for example, which is a 150+ calorie difference.
    Gray Guo
    Aspiring Personal Trainer | Amateur Physique Competitor
    Feel free to message me if you want to chat!
    Email: gg348@cornell.edu

Originally Posted by grayguo View Post
    Hey SwinginAnMissin, I don't know why your weight has stalled after being on a large calorie deficit and your current exercise program. I'll give you a few questions that will hopefully help.

Have you been sleeping enough? Deprived sleep can increase cortisol levels and hamper recover and fat loss.

Do you weigh your calories or eye ball them? It's easy to miscalculate when you eyeball your calories. A table of oil can be actually 2 for example, which is a 150+ calorie difference.
    Hey, uh I get around 8-9 hours of sleep a day, sometimes I fall asleep abit late, but I have the advantage of not waking up early so I still get in 8 hours or so. And as for eye balling calories, I use a scale to calculate my portions, my day usually goes around about.

- protein shake (ISO100) for pre workout
    then a prepackaged tuna sandwich for after my workout, I usually just scan the barcode and input it into myfitnesspal

- then a large meal of chicken/or another source of protein with some veggies
    by this time I usually have about 200 or so calories left which I fill out with some fruit or more vegetables, usually something fibrous

This is just a generic idea, I could write up a detailed log if need be.

I tend to eat at from 8 AM to 6 PM, and thats my day done don't usually feel hungry past that point and it's a nice window to eat in because it fits into my daily schedule.

I am thinking of giving it 2 more weeks before looking at the scale again, I know that I am eating at a large deficit I have always weighed and counted my calories so it's not a new principle to me but I have suspicion that I am holding onto a alot of water weight, and looking at the scale daily isn't going to help me, but if I haven't noticed any progress in the next 2 weeks I would be somewhat concerned.

Originally Posted by okayest View Post
    Too large of a deficit will very likely lead to decreasing strength, lean mass and your ability to stick to your plan. -50% is way too much. -30% is pushing it. -20% is max recommended.
    I am lifting daily to help reinforce the idea in my body that I am using these muscles and they shouldn't be used as a source of energy and trying to get as much protein as I can in my diet, but I know I will potentially lose abit of muscle even with the precautions taken, but since starting my diet I have only increased the amount of weight I am doing in the gym, if I can continue to increase it I will take that as a good sign, if I see that I am losing strength overall in the gym I will likely gradually start to up my calories.

AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Some other stats would help like your age, height and current weight.

Originally Posted by AndroMuscle View Post
    Some other stats would help like your age, height and current weight.
    They are in the first post, it is somewhat messy so apologise for that, wrote it in a hurry lol

H- 6'1
    W- 123.2 kg
    Age - 23

As I mentioned before I use to cut at 1,500 was I was much lighter, so I am not sure why it wouldn't work at a heavier weight, if anything it should be more efficient.

R1DINGPwnies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R1DINGPwnies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R1DINGPwnies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R1DINGPwnies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R1DINGPwnies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R1DINGPwnies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R1DINGPwnies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R1DINGPwnies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R1DINGPwnies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R1DINGPwnies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) R1DINGPwnies is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My $0.02: You're probably doing everything right. It seems you are diligently tracking your macros, you seem to understand and grasp what you are putting into your body. Even if you probably should be eating more for optimal performance, your problem, admittedly, is that you don't see results. Well, 100%, you are going to lose weight on that diet. Remember, you look at yourself every single day, so little changes don't add up to much at first. But one day, you'll look in the mirror and be forced to recognize a difference.

For me, when I did the cut that started my bodybuilding journey, it seemed like I devoted my life to fitness for months, and I felt great, but I didn't feel I looked any different. My ex girlfriend echoed this, "why tf are you always at the gym but it doesn't look like you've changed at all? Are you really going to the gym? Where are you really going?" Which made me feel terrible. But, one day, the cumulative changes that happened really were impossible to ignore. My girlfriend said it was like I changed overnight. Really, it was a slow, slow effort, but my goals were reached and I was able to move on to new ones.

TL;DR Don't worry brother, you'll get back into shape. It won't happen overnight, or in 3 weeks. Just always keep an open mind and do whatever it takes to reach your goal.

AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AndroMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Oh sorry, well yeah you still have time bro. Muscle building and cardio for sure, then your diet.
    Cut out all sugar (soda, sugar in coffee are the worst), keep your meals small, with chicken, vegetables, low fat.

Maybe look at a whey protein so you can keep protein up with less food. Creatine is good to to build strength.

You can expect to lose about 1 pound per week, so weigh yourself each morning after going to the bathroom and everything.
    Just make sure you dropped a pound and it stays off each week.
    I hope this helps..

grayguo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grayguo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, uh I get around 8-9 hours of sleep a day, sometimes I fall asleep abit late, but I have the advantage of not waking up early so I still get in 8 hours or so. And as for eye balling calories, I use a scale to calculate my portions, my day usually goes around about.

- protein shake (ISO100) for pre workout
    then a prepackaged tuna sandwich for after my workout, I usually just scan the barcode and input it into myfitnesspal

- then a large meal of chicken/or another source of protein with some veggies
    by this time I usually have about 200 or so calories left which I fill out with some fruit or more vegetables, usually something fibrous

This is just a generic idea, I could write up a detailed log if need be.

I tend to eat at from 8 AM to 6 PM, and thats my day done don't usually feel hungry past that point and it's a nice window to eat in because it fits into my daily schedule.

I am thinking of giving it 2 more weeks before looking at the scale again, I know that I am eating at a large deficit I have always weighed and counted my calories so it's not a new principle to me but I have suspicion that I am holding onto a alot of water weight, and looking at the scale daily isn't going to help me, but if I haven't noticed any progress in the next 2 weeks I would be somewhat concerned.
    It sounds you're doing what you need to keep your tracking accurate.

In addition to the mirror test and scale, try measuring your waist. Bodyfat changes can be hard to gauge at times, but a smaller waist size will tell you're going in the right direction.

Keep us posted if you want more help along the journey. Keep up the good work
    Gray Guo
    Aspiring Personal Trainer | Amateur Physique Competitor
    Feel free to message me if you want to chat!
    Email: gg348@cornell.edu

Thanks for the help everyone, it was very much appreciated, I will be weighing myself next on the 20th, so in 8 days from now, and I will keep yall updated, so heres hoping I actually see some change from before.