fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy Is Whey Protein Helping in Weight Loss?

Hello All,

I've been going to the gym about 3 times per week since two months ago to lose weight. I'm obese at 120 kg.

I start with 10 minutes cardio on the elliptical machine and then proceed to perform some compound exercises on the machines.

After two weeks of exercising, my colleague, a fellow passionate bodybuilder suggested that I take 20 g of protein whey after each workout to help build muscles quicker so that I can accelerate my weight loss.

It's been 2 months now and I am still at 119 kg.

My breakfast and dinner consists of the Optifast supplement. My lunch consists of real food like a Subway sandwich or pasta. In between, I do consume some bread or else I'll get too hungry. I do drink lots of water.

Is the protein whey helping me but I am not seeing the results, or is it holding back my weight loss?

Thanks for your advice.
    Fatso Brian.

AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by fatsoBrian View Post
    Hello All,

I've been going to the gym about 3 times per week since two months ago to lose weight. I'm obese at 120 kg.

I start with 10 minutes cardio on the elliptical machine and then proceed to perform some compound exercises on the machines.

After two weeks of exercising, my colleague, a fellow passionate bodybuilder suggested that I take 20 g of protein whey after each workout to help build muscles quicker so that I can accelerate my weight loss.

It's been 2 months now and I am still at 119 kg.

My breakfast and dinner consists of the Optifast supplement. My lunch consists of real food like a Subway sandwich or pasta. In between, I do consume some bread or else I'll get too hungry. I do drink lots of water.

Is the protein whey helping me but I am not seeing the results, or is it holding back my weight loss?

Thanks for your advice.
    Fatso Brian.

Your body composition could be changing. However, a balanced and tracked diet will make that time your spending in the gym more worthwhile. First I would calculate your TDEE (google it) then set a deficit at about 500 calories less than your TDEE. Subway seems healthy, but it really depends on what you eat there (I usually go with roast beef on whole wheat, all veggies and mustard). Adding sauces and cheese can lead a footlong to near 1000 calories.
    The gym is only 20% of weightloss, real change happens in the kitchen. And whey will help you reach your macros without adding a surplus of calories. As someone who has lost 130 pounds I c,an tell you it will be helpful. Try to set a macro-nutrient goal and daily energy goal, 1 to 1.3 grams of protein per pound of lean bodymass. Then fill the rest with fats and healthy carbs! You will get this!

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It’s not the whey (at least any more than it is your other food). You’re just eating too many calories.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatsoBrian is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Wink

AcademicHulk, Partyrocking,

Thank you for your replies. At least now I know its the food intake and not the protein whey.
    I really appreciate your advice.
    Thank you.

lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lowkey122 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Whey will help to aid in muscle building which will in turn increase your TDEE to assist in burning more calories. However, if your goal is to lose fat then it's not likely that you're building enough muscle, or any at all, to dramatically affect your TDEE. The whey might simply be aiding you from losing what muscle you do have. At the end of the day it's another source of protein and your total protein consumption with respect to your specific body composition will determine if you're getting more than enough protein, just enough or too little.

Regardless if your goal is to lose bodyfat you will need to eat a caloric deficit, you can still manipulate your macros to get a significant amount of protein but you won't lose fat until you consume less calories than your body requires over a period of time.
    "Luck" is probability taken personally

Never accept a "No" from someone who wasn't empowered to give you a "Yes" in the first place

AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) AcademicHulk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    AcademicHulk, Partyrocking,

Thank you for your replies. At least now I know its the food intake and not the protein whey.
    I really appreciate your advice.
    Thank you.
    Just keep at it! Find a diet that fits your macros, make healthier choices and be honest with yourself. You'll get there. If I can do it anyone and I mean ANYONE can do it. There are some great beginner diets on the main site. Persistence will lead to Perseverance!

Thanks lowkey122. I've been doing some reading recently and its good to know that that the protein why is aiding me in keeping my muscles. I did read that extensive calorie deficit can hurt existing muscles.

I am eating a reduced calorie meals. I guess my in-between munching is the one that is hurting me.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by lowkey122 View Post
    Whey will help to aid in muscle building which will in turn increase your TDEE to assist in burning more calories. However, if your goal is to lose fat then it's not likely that you're building enough muscle, or any at all, to dramatically affect your TDEE. The whey might simply be aiding you from losing what muscle you do have. At the end of the day it's another source of protein and your total protein consumption with respect to your specific body composition will determine if you're getting more than enough protein, just enough or too little.

Regardless if your goal is to lose bodyfat you will need to eat a caloric deficit, you can still manipulate your macros to get a significant amount of protein but you won't lose fat until you consume less calories than your body requires over a period of time.

Thanks AcademicHulk. I've been doing some reading since yesterday on diets and methods. This forum has lots of great advices. And yes, I will persevere.

Originally Posted by AcademicHulk View Post
    Just keep at it! Find a diet that fits your macros, make healthier choices and be honest with yourself. You'll get there. If I can do it anyone and I mean ANYONE can do it. There are some great beginner diets on the main site. Persistence will lead to Perseverance!

Thanks AcademicHulk. I've been doing some reading since yesterday on diets and methods. This forum has lots of great advices. And yes, I will persevere.
    Glad to hear, if you have any questions give me a shout. I started at 160 kg and am now around 101-102, so you can do it too!

That's a great number. How long did it take you to drop 60 kg?
    I'm starting at 120 kg, as of today.
    Thanks.

Glad to hear, if you have any questions give me a shout. I started at 160 kg and am now around 101-102, so you can do it too!

I focused on diet only for 4 months and then about 10 months of lifting and diet. Only have about 5 or so more to drop. Once you make it a habit it's easy!

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The more calories you eat, the more mass you'll retain or gain. It's as simple as that.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

inoshent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

It just doesn't work that way. The only way you can reduce weight is by being in a calorie deficit, which is nothing but eating a little less than what you're normally do.

Thanks for the realistic deadline. I'll give myself 12 months to drop 40 kg slowly and gradually. Good luck for the last 5 and thanks for the advice.

I focused on diet only for 4 months and then about 10 months of lifting and diet. Only have about 5 or so more to drop. Once you make it a habit it's easy!

Yes, unfortunately I have been consuming too much after an exercise, not realising that my tiredness was making me eat more.
    Thanks for the adice.

Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    The more calories you eat, the more mass you'll retain or gain. It's as simple as that.

Yeah, I didnt realise that I was eating too much after exercising. And I mistakenly thought it was th protein whey that was the cause of it. Now I know better. Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by inoshent View Post
    It just doesn't work that way. The only way you can reduce weight is by being in a calorie deficit, which is nothing but eating a little less than what you're normally do.

bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Whey Protein is a supplement too help you reach certain protein levels if your diet is lacking that macro. To reduce weight the first thing I delete from my diet is whey protein. To hit my calories and macros food takes the priority over a protein supplement. When the diet is correct and I'm reducing weight plus hitting my macros the weight comes of with little to no mass reduction. I cut slowly, about 1lb per week. When I come out of a cut and go to maintenance I add the protein back since I need the extra calories. I find chicken, for example, with 40 grams of protein sustain me from hunger longer than say a 40 gram protein shake so its easier for me to eat less but making food the priority in a cut.

ElvisCaprice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ElvisCaprice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ElvisCaprice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ElvisCaprice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ElvisCaprice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ElvisCaprice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ElvisCaprice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ElvisCaprice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ElvisCaprice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ElvisCaprice has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ElvisCaprice has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    For me it's been the opposite. I like the Whey protein in my cut, which helps make hitting my needed protein intake much easier without added calories from normal protein based food. Plus I enjoy a protein shake with whole grain oats, banana, coffee or/and milk, cinnamon and ice. On the gain I have much more caloric room for added natural protein based food, thus less Whey. Hunger is a product of the mind, just drink more water.