Hbailey1997 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Packing shoulders

OK, so I know that generally it is important to "pull shoulders down and back" during chest excercices

SO, What about when doing back workouts ? ( rows, lat pulldowns, pull-ups, reverse fly )

Do you keep shoulders down and back for these exercises? Are there any rules of thumb for building a bigger/stronger back?
    God, Family, Country

maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10) maybepermabulkd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I remember watching a video a few years ago (made by the potato head looking black guy, chris something) saying to "retract your scapula" its some bullsh*t I was never able to get a pump in my lats, anyways do whatever feels best to you, I don't retract my scapula when doing pulldowns and trying to do it when doing flies ficks my shoulders up.

Buckyx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Buckyx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Buckyx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Buckyx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Buckyx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Buckyx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Buckyx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Buckyx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Buckyx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Buckyx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Buckyx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Hbailey1997 View Post
    OK, so I know that generally it is important to "pull shoulders down and back" during chest excercices
    its not, scaps are supposed to move during certain exercises. try doing push ups with shoulders back and you will fuk yourself up

why are you trying to apply some weird logic to every exercise? every exercise can have different demands and should be focused on individual cues
    20% bf crew

okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Packing the shoulders is terrible advice. You want your shoulders to feel stable and strong but you also want them to be able to move naturally.

DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You should generally retract the scaps and keep shoulders neutral or back depending on the exercise. On pulling movements it is good to pull shoulders back, so that you can get a better contraction of the lats, but you may not wanna "overdo" it the same way that you would on bench press.
    Go to my log and share something brutal i might wanna try: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177638011&p=1589549301#post1589549301

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The scapula needs to move across your ribcage for back work.

You need to let them spread a little at the stretch then pinch tightly at peak contraction.

How much you let your shoulder blades (scapula) spread is preference, buy to stay healthy they should move. Just not for bench!
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    The scapula needs to move across your ribcage for back work.

You need to let them spread a little at the stretch then pinch tightly at peak contraction.

How much you let your shoulder blades (scapula) spread is preference, buy to stay healthy they should move. Just not for bench!
    IMHO, a superior method is to start the movement by completely retracting the scapula from a fully stretched position and then seamlessly continuing the movement. Then, do the eccentric in the exact opposite order.