Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Training like John98 sippiboy1987's Avatar
    sippiboy1987 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sippiboy1987 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sippiboy1987 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sippiboy1987 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sippiboy1987 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sippiboy1987 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sippiboy1987 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sippiboy1987 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sippiboy1987 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sippiboy1987 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sippiboy1987 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I read something about doing 200 or 300 push ups daily, but on a planned workout. If your one set max is under 50 reps, do 200 reps in the least amount of sets to reach the 200 at one time, each set til failure basically. The next day, do the same 200 but at different times of the day. Like once you wake up, bust out 20. An hr later, do as many as you want, say 40. At lunch do 15 or however many. Keep this up until you've reached 200. The next day, go back to the 200, at one time, in the least amount of sets.

If you're one set max is 50-100 reps, replace the above workout with 300's.

If you're above one set max is over 100 reps, you're too alpha to be worried about this.

It also said this is an everyday thing and can also be done with regular split days. You can still do this on chest day, preferably the random sets.
    100% rep back if you post in same thread. (no reds and no grey reps)

Xbox Live: SippiBoy1987

Starting: 310
    Current: 210-215
    Goal: 190

dkanake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

push ups/bench

Alright with about 2 years of actual lifting experience now i can say that my bench has gone up, but no as drastically as my squat and deadlift, i am 5'4'', about 145 lbs, Deadlift= 235 for perfect 10X4, squat=215 for 10x4, can get 225 if i really push, but i know these numbers will go up. The trouble is with my bench, i can get the standard 135 for 12 reps 4 sets blah blah blah. But when i compare the bench to my other lifts it's not nearly as satisfying. So from this forum i'm getting that push ups every day could be a good thing, granted you do not overtrain. I just need someone to clarify, please and thank you.

32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100) 32bulkcycle is not very well liked. (-100)
    I never really liked pushups because i figured anything i could do 50 or more reps of couldn't really be that great of a hypertrophy exercise. I guess they're ok to do at the very end of a chest workout as a burnout but i definitely would not do them every day. You may be able to get fairly cut doing this but I doubt it would work for gaining mass

dkanake has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 32bulkcycle View Post
    I never really liked pushups because i figured anything i could do 50 or more reps of couldn't really be that great of a hypertrophy exercise. I guess they're ok to do at the very end of a chest workout as a burnout but i definitely would not do them every day. You may be able to get fairly cut doing this but I doubt it would work for gaining mass
    What about those people who claim to have had increased numbers in compound chest lifts? I have had the same experience with the burnout pyramid at the end of a chest workout, but recently doing them everyday may very well help the weight to go up. I just want to know someone's experiences before going off of what i have heard.

Edzerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edzerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edzerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edzerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edzerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edzerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edzerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edzerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edzerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edzerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edzerr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Crizus View Post
    I was training for about a year and I still lacked overall chest development and my bench wasnt that strong until my training partner told me to start doing push-ups daily... and then I started growing my overall chest development improved for the better...

Has anyone else ever tried this ???
    Just what i say bench presses can suck my D*ck it doesnt build fast as push ups
    my weight workouts only get my body weak push ups train chest, back, arms, and a little bit abs its the fastest workout exercise ever

DonGoofT is not very helpful. (-500) DonGoofT is not very helpful. (-500) DonGoofT is not very helpful. (-500) DonGoofT is not very helpful. (-500) DonGoofT is not very helpful. (-500) DonGoofT is not very helpful. (-500) DonGoofT is not very helpful. (-500) DonGoofT is not very helpful. (-500) DonGoofT is not very helpful. (-500) DonGoofT is not very helpful. (-500) DonGoofT is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Pumpv View Post
    Yeah, push ups are great.
    strong bump

lucycandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you for this report.If they see them, I asked the legal character ... maybe I will end back up with me ... or someone ... ... things happen ..

MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by EctoElite View Post
    While I was in training for selection I did this Program. Great results, put an extra 13 onto my Max and was really good fun.

Here it is, quoted from another forum:

"
    Posted 13 May 2006 09:19 AM
    So, without access to a gym for a few weeks, I've been doing this push-up routine, called "The Evil Russian’s 'hit the deck' Program." The author promises some big results in just 14 days. Who knows. I will keep you posted.

Here's what the workout looks like. I'll post it - it's a bit long so be prepared. Interesting reading though. I've got a few questions so scroll down to the bottom, after reading it, and respond to them, if you get a moment.

Here we go:

Before the bench press was a twinkle in some early powerlifter's eye, the push up was the true measure of a person. A hundred separated the men from the boys; the women from the girls. Still does. How will you rate?

Pretty good if you follow my program.

All right, so you're not planning to join the marines- your loss, their gain- so why should you bother giving me a hundred? Because, if you train the right way, this push-up drill will fill out your pecs, delts & tri's faster than a jarhead recruit can clean a latrine with his toothbrush.

Where heavy resistance training builds the contractile proteins, high-volume, low intensity loading, such as push-ups, kick other wheels of the muscles machinery into growth. The volume of sacroplasm goes up. Mitochondria, the muscle cells' energy plants, get buff. Capillaries spread their tentacles throughout the muscle.

Even though capillaries make up but a fraction of a muscle's girth they serve a VIP function in bulking your myofibrils, or "real muscle", when you get back to heavy training. Here's how it works:

A 1995 British study by Schott et al., concluded that greater exposure of muscle cells to various metabolites, or "muscle engine exhaust fumes", leads to greater gains in strength & mass. It has been suggested by some experts that the more extensive a muscle's vascularity, the more the muscle will be soaked in intra-muscular metabolites & growth factors, & the more it will grow.

At least up to a point. According to Soviet research (Zalesskiy & Burkhanov, 1981), vascular network development generally can not keep up with muscle growth. So if you want to keep on growing beyond the easy first gains, you must find a way of developing your vascular network.

This is where super high reps come in. In 1986, Luthi et al., discovered that heavy training has no effect on capillarization. In 1984, Tesch et al., added that Olympic weightlifters & other athletes who favour low-rep training with long rest periods display capillary density that is even lower than that of untrained subjects! The same year, Sjoogard stated that enhanced capillarization is the result of endurance training. (Could explain why your legs gain mass so much easier than your arms?)

The evil Russian’s “hit the deck” program

WEEK 1

Mon: 100% test, relative intensity (RI) 30% Set frequency (SF) 60 min
    Tues: RI 50% SF 60 min
    Wed: RI 60% SF 45 min
    Thurs: RI 25% SF 60 min
    Fri: RI 45% SF 30 min
    Sat: RI 40% SF 60 min
    Sun: RI 20% SF 90 min

WEEK 2

Mon: 100% test RI 35% SF 45min
    Tues: RI 55% SF 20 min
    Wed: RI 30% SF 15 min
    Thurs: RI 65% SF 60min
    Fri: RI 35% SF 45 min
    Sat: RI 45% SF 60 min
    Sun: RI 25% SF120 min

WEEK 3

Mon: 100% test

The program outlined in the chart above is self-explanatory. Just drop & give me a specified percentage of your last personal best at given time intervals throughout the day. For instance, if you managed 50 push-ups on your test, do 25 on the day that calls for 50% relative intensity. On Mondays, test yourself for one set & do east sets for the rest of the day. You are going to love the constant pump!

Time the breaks between your sets, but you do not have a fit if you missed your date with the concrete here & there. Make it up if you can; do not sweat it if you cannot. Do your sets from the time you get up until an hour before you go to bed. Naturally, most comrades with a real job will have a couple of gaps in their day when they cannot drop & pump out push-ups. Do not worry about it; just gets back on schedule when the boss looks the other way.

Note that you are only supposed to go to the limit once a week. High rep sets to exhaustion are a lot more dangerous than they look. Tension in the stabilising muscles is inadequate to protect the joints & the connective tissues; the latter really get it in the shorts. So do not mess with the outline; stay well within your ability except on test days! Do not worry, you’ll make great gains without collapsing on the last rep, dripping in sweat & making macho faces.

The prescribes regimen requires that you say no to any other upper-body work with the exception of pull-ups or chin-ups. Either of these military favourites will hit the muscles missed by the push-ups & balance out your deltoids.

A word on push-ups for reasons other than getting buff or becoming one of the few good men. Push-ups are no good for strength unless you can merely manage a couple. The time-honoured push-up, however, is useful for developing shoulder endurance for sports such as boxing.

Proper push-up technique

Whether you’re training for the boxing ring or the bodybuilding stage, proper push-up technique will amplify your gains.

Place the weight near the base of your palms rather than closer to your fingers. If the traditional technique hurts your wrists, you have a couple of options. The yuppie choice is a set of push-up handles. The heroic alternative is to do your push-ups the karate way, on your knuckles. The proper martial arts knuckle push-up calls for resting your weight only on two knuckles of each fist. You will find this technique will strengthen your wrists in a hurry. No your forearms won’t look any better, but your bench will go up because your noodle-thin wrists will stop screaming for mercy & wraps.

Keep you butt tucked under; this will make your push-ups look crisp & protect your back from sagging & hurting.

Do not constrict your chest, keep it wide open. The range of motion will be slightly reduced, the pecs will be pre-stretched for more power, & you are less likely to hurt your shoulders that way.

Also, look straight ahead rather than down. Tension in the neck extensor muscles facilitates a stronger contraction of the elbow extensors.

High-Tension Push-Up Techniques

First, grip the ground with your fingertips. Do not attempt fingertip push-ups; just imagine you are trying to leave claw marks on the ground

Second, clench your glutes hard & flex your abs.

Third, squeeze your thighs tight together.

Fourth, “screw your hands into the floor”.

Fifth, hold your breath on exertion.

Do all of the above during the actual rep, at lockout relax as mush as possible. Take a few breaths before the next rep. The above techniques are only to be applied during your test sets! Or for very difficult low-rep exercises.

The Push-Up Rules of Engagement

 never come to close to failure, except when testing your max
     vary the reps and the rest periods between the sets daily
     adjust the load to your recovery ability
     build up cumulative fatigue
     taper down before a peak

Keep you push-up cycles short & sweet. According to a 1990 study by Russian scientists Nikityuk & Samoylo, repetition lifting of a submaximal weight promotes sarcoplasmic hypertrophy while breaking don the contractile proteins, the “real muscle”. So, in other words, that’s not good. Which is why you are going to alternate two-week periods of push-ups with two weeks of your regular upper-body weight training routine. This rotation schedule, made popular in Russia, is superior to doing everything at once, e.g., doing your push-ups, followed by your benching, followed by your triceps push-downs.

There you have it, Comrade, your complete guide to push-up excellence. Put it to work & fill out your shirt before the month is up! "
    Interesting... anyone try this out?

MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MasterYomega has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Just did day one of the crazy pushup workout... holy chit I'm sore but I felt the pump. this is gonna be a crazy week.

Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I was training for about a year and I still lacked overall chest development and my bench wasnt that strong until my training partner told me to start doing push-ups daily... and then I started growing my overall chest development improved for the better...

I do push ups once a week but i make 1000-1500 push ups, this is my basic chest training . And it works amazing !

Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Crastef has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Edzerr View Post
    Just what i say bench presses can suck my D*ck it doesnt build fast as push ups
    my weight workouts only get my body weak push ups train chest, back, arms, and a little bit abs its the fastest workout exercise ever
    That's right !!

If you want to built muscles with push ups is a dub thing to do them every day ! Read this blog, learn everything about push ups and follow my push up work outs, if you really want to build an awesome chest with push ups and make unless 100 push ups in a row ... take a look : http://thousands-of-pushups.blogspot...roduction.html

SparthenicZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) SparthenicZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) SparthenicZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) SparthenicZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) SparthenicZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) SparthenicZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) SparthenicZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) SparthenicZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) SparthenicZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) SparthenicZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) SparthenicZ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Crastef View Post
    I do push ups once a week but i make 1000-1500 push ups, this is my basic chest training . And it works amazing !
    Have you tried doing a planche push up before?

outofid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by quikieemart View Post
    just working out with barbells and dumbbells may get you bigger and stronger, but it won't necessarily make you faster or more agile. calisthenics help make up for those things that regular gym routines cannot provide. agility, speed, balance, flexibility, coordination. i mean, if you're going for strength to bodyweight ratio, go for a gymnast's calisthenics routine. but, if you just wanna look and feel big, stay in the gym. i have a balance for both so thats why i personally include pushups and pullups 4-5 times a week
    That's pretty impressive and not many would think about. I always strive to stay fit in the trust sense of the word as opposed to just getting big, but that's a pretty neat advice. Will definitely include more push ups and pull ups on my off days as opposed to being lazy

Registered User MoveEatSleep123's Avatar
    MoveEatSleep123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoveEatSleep123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoveEatSleep123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoveEatSleep123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by outofid View Post
    That's pretty impressive and not many would think about. I always strive to stay fit in the trust sense of the word as opposed to just getting big, but that's a pretty neat advice. Will definitely include more push ups and pull ups on my off days as opposed to being lazy
    quikieemart's thought process is spot on. Barbells and dumbells isolate and may make you stronger in one place but weaker in another. Compound exercises like burpees address different parts of your body at once and will increase cardio conditioning. I just saw an article two days ago about 10,000 burpee challenge. Two founders of a exercise mat company, perfectburpee, are out to prove the efficiency of a burpee, tracking health and wellness as well as overall physical shape. Definitely check it out.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This thread is from 2001 . . .