GixxerSixxer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GixxerSixxer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GixxerSixxer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GixxerSixxer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GixxerSixxer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GixxerSixxer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GixxerSixxer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GixxerSixxer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GixxerSixxer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GixxerSixxer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GixxerSixxer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Youngin' leaving the Air Force. Looking for advice from my older brahs

I made the decision to punch out when my contract is up. I'm still over a year out but just trying to be prepared. My bachelor's degree is done, I'm single, have no debt, have decent savings, but I don't have a very civilian transferable AFSC (work in aircraft maintenance). Any veterans or people who work with veterans around? Any advice or things I might overlook? Any just general life advice for a guy getting back into the "real" world?

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by GixxerSixxer View Post
    I made the decision to punch out when my contract is up. I'm still over a year out but just trying to be prepared. My bachelor's degree is done, I'm single, have no debt, have decent savings, but I don't have a very civilian transferable AFSC (work in aircraft maintenance). Any veterans or people who work with veterans around? Any advice or things I might overlook? Any just general life advice for a guy getting back into the "real" world?
    You could always go back in as a woman and do another tour of duty.

Then write a book on how different it was.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What's wrong with aircraft maintenance? I'd think that would offer plenty of good jobs. It might also apply to related work in the general aerospace industry. There are plenty of people who become civilian contractors for the military, making more money but staying close to their old field.

Take some time, you don't have to find a job immediately (although if you do that's ok too). There's going to be plenty for you to choose from. Be picky. Have some fun.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

really...just really DieselsMom's Avatar
    DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000) DieselsMom is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    What's wrong with aircraft maintenance? I'd think that would offer plenty of good jobs. It might also apply to related work in the general aerospace industry. There are plenty of people who become civilian contractors for the military, making more money but staying close to their old field.
    This^^^

I have two friends personally that were air craft maintenance in the force then have transitioned out to jobs still within the aviation field - one has now moved on to wildlife management but that was a new life path he choose later.
    "That's not sweat that's your fat cells crying" anonymous

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147406883

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Just be informed that not all employers are chomping at the bit to hire vets. If you don't understand why, you will eventually.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just had a long talk with my daughter. Four years university in medical sciences. She was considering speech therapy, we were trying to steer her towards audiology. Audiology was a very limited course, paid well, and you could make your own hours because appointments are hard to get. Everything else she was interested in would have her working evenings and weekends in a strip mall.

This September she's taking a course on project management at a college

It's nice to do what you want, but sometimes you have to do what you can. You have to think strategically because of all the competition. Where do you want to live.
    What hours do you want to work.

You are thinking in advance and that's great. No debt and that's even greater.
    I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
    (Marshall McLuhan)

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Aircraft maintenance isn't transferrable to a civilian position? Unless your job is involved strictly with armament, that's news to me, but whatever.

You didn't state what your exact MOS is, but it obviously involves either mechanical, hydraulic, or electrical skills, or even all of them. I'd think anyone with any of those skills would be eminently employable in the civilian sector in a vast number of construction and/or maintenance positions, and even more so these days due to so many kids getting into programming, etc., and so few who have any kind of craft skills involving tools or test equipment.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733