jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Recommended Rice Cooker?

My wife and I just got married. We registered for a rice cooker and received this one from Bed Bath and Beyond:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CRC...rt+rice+cooker

It was absolute garbage and we are going to be returning it to the store. Just seeing if you guys had any recommendations for good ones I can looking into buying to replace it? I think this one that we bought at Bed Bath and Beyond was $50 so we aren't looking to spend too much more than that.

I see this one on Amazon for even cheaper and it's got really good reviews. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Housewa...ds=rice+cooker

PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have the Aroma one (got it for my wedding as well)

I LOVE IT. It's easy to use.
    Lift Big, Eat Big, Live Big

Live long and make gainz McNeelz's Avatar
    McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000) McNeelz is just really nice. (+1000)
    I also have the aroma one. I like it and I haven't had any problems with it.
    IG: amygainz

Squat: 210, Bench: 165, Deadlift: 330

Hello....How are you? TelephoneLines's Avatar
    TelephoneLines is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TelephoneLines is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TelephoneLines is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TelephoneLines is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TelephoneLines is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TelephoneLines is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TelephoneLines is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TelephoneLines is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TelephoneLines is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TelephoneLines is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TelephoneLines is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Includes a steam tray?? Buy that shiit.
    -bullfrog

*Always Pick #7 Crew*

Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000)
    Go to an asian store to buy a rice cooker, not BBB and not Amazon.
    "The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50) rsipock will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I actually prefer a pressure cooker for rice because it can cook rice and a lot more. For example, a few days ago I made some beans with my cooker and tomorrow I plan on pressure cooking a pork roast. Just a thought..

jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagsfan05 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PatrickValo86 View Post

Thanks is it this same exact Aroma one? I appreciate it. Also, is the only types of rice it cooks only brown or white rice? Or can it do other types of rice too?

Originally Posted by McNeelz View Post
    Thanks is it this same exact Aroma one? I appreciate it. Also, is the only types of rice it cooks only brown or white rice? Or can it do other types of rice too?

Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000)
    I cook rice in the microwave. Not quick rice, but real rice. The texture and taste are the same as if I cooked it on my rice cooker. Every microwave model is different, my data would be useless to you all.

Get a big microwave safe bowl, the one you can see through such as tempered glass. Put in your rice and water. The rice-water ratio is the same as cooking on stove or rice cooker. Nuke it on high and watch it carefully. Once the water boils, turn it off. Write down the time it took to boil. The next step is to nuke it on 40% or 50% power. The idea is to simmer it until the water is gone. You have to watch it carefully because if it simmer too high, it will boil over. It will mess up your rice-water ratio. If it looks like it will boil over, turn it off and use 10% less power. Write it down. You want to simmer it but not enough to boil over. It will take a few trials to get it right. You either have to add more water or add more minutes. Once it's cooked, cover the bowl for 5 minutes and fluff it with a fork before serving. The next time you cook rice, you just punch in the time and power level on the microwave and that's it.
    "The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Robosco View Post
    I cook rice in the microwave. Not quick rice, but real rice. The texture and taste are the same as if I cooked it on my rice cooker. Every microwave model is different, my data would be useless to you all.

Get a big microwave safe bowl, the one you can see through such as tempered glass. Put in your rice and water. The rice-water ratio is the same as cooking on stove or rice cooker. Nuke it on high and watch it carefully. Once the water boils, turn it off. Write down the time it took to boil. The next step is to nuke it on 40% or 50% power. The idea is to simmer it until the water is gone. You have to watch it carefully because if it simmer too high, it will boil over. It will mess up your rice-water ratio. If it looks like it will boil over, turn it off and use 10% less power. Write it down. You want to simmer it but not enough to boil over. It will take a few trials to get it right. You either have to add more water or add more minutes. Once it's cooked, cover the bowl for 5 minutes and fluff it with a fork before serving. The next time you cook rice, you just punch in the time and power level on the microwave and that's it.
    This is exactly why rice cookers exist.

PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000) PatrickValo86 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jagsfan05 View Post
    Mine came with a book that tells you what settings to cook "other" things on.

I like it because it has a steam tray for some veggies

Originally Posted by Robosco View Post

Seems like way too much work for something that I can SET and FORGET in a rice cooker

Seems like way too much work for something that I can SET and FORGET in a rice cooker
    It's only too much work the first time you do it because you're trying to figure out how many minutes and power setting that works with your microwave. Once you got that figure out, you can set and forget everytime you cook rice just like you would with a rice cooker.

You won't have another kitchen gadget sitting on your kitchen shelf. You also have less thing to wash.

Registered User BRINGINGtheFURY's Avatar
    BRINGINGtheFURY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BRINGINGtheFURY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BRINGINGtheFURY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BRINGINGtheFURY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BRINGINGtheFURY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BRINGINGtheFURY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BRINGINGtheFURY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BRINGINGtheFURY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BRINGINGtheFURY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BRINGINGtheFURY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BRINGINGtheFURY has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I also have the Aroma brand and love it. Works great.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I bought the Aroma one from Amazon and just got it in today.

But still wondering...is the only types of rice it cooks only brown or white rice? Or can it do other types of rice too? If it can, how do you know the cooking times and amount of water/other rice to use? Because the instruction manual only shows the amounts for brown and white rice?

Also, this model is huge with making 20 cups cooked. I don't need one that big but the one on Amazon from Aroma that makes 8 cups cooked doesn't seem to have as many good reviews? Are they not the same product?

8 Cup Cooked one: https://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Housewa...ma+rice+cooker
    Last edited by jagsfan05; 07-05-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Is yours this exact one that makes 20 cups cooked or do you have the smaller 8 cups cooked one?

Originally Posted by McNeelz View Post
    Is yours this exact one that makes 20 cups cooked or do you have the smaller 8 cups cooked one?

Originally Posted by BRINGINGtheFURY View Post
    I also have the Aroma brand and love it. Works great.

Bump, thanks.

jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdboyd78 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thanks any other advice on the Aroma ones from people? The bigger one is working just fine but it's extremely big. The smaller one doesn't have as good of reviews though?