HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smith Machine Effectiveness

I currently use a smith machine for squats and deadlifts. I know that free weights are better, but my gym doesnt have a squat rack/ deadlift rack. I was just wondering if this still a good way to do these exercises. i also read that using a smith machine can lead to injury due to unnatural movements? Is that bs?
    I think, therefore I am.

GirlGuns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    your gym doesnt have a squat rack? what kind of **** is that?

ok, personal opinion only here. I dont like the smith. It prohibits natural range of motion and restricts it (obviously). So, I try to stay away from it. I think I use it for calves once in a while and thats it.

As for injury, I dont know...but it would make sense...it is limiting your natural movement...anyhow, maybe you can find an alternative? good luck.

Rink has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's messed up, how can JHU not have a squat rack, after you pay 30k pa. May be u'r uni has a few more gyms, and you are going to the smaller one? If not come and take a hike to UMBC, we have a good squat rack and plenty of 45# plates to go with it.
    blah..blah... blah

Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000)
    Doing deadlifts in particular with a Smith Machine is asking for trouble. Without a squat rack you can't really squat, but you can improvise with the deadlift.

All you have to do is use the bench pad of the bench press at the gym as the rack for your deadlifts. Most bench pads are wide enough for the bar to balance on even when it's loaded up. It's also the right height, because the bench pad should be at about knee height.

If you continue with smith machine deadlifts, you do so at your own risk

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    I've got a smith at home so I can speak from a LOT of experience.
    Squats on a smith, SAFE AS LONG AS YOU LEARN PROPER FORM. It's not the machine that injures people, it is their lack of understanding of how they need to adjust to a single plane movement. ALL the big guys at my gym regularly incorporate smith squats.
    I squat at the gym (free rack) and at home (smith)
    Feet need to be out 2-6" in front of the bars plane, out in a wide stance to start. Bar low on back.
    Then just 'sit down with it'. Start off really light and find the position that's right for you as everybody's different. You should feel it in the muscle and NOT in the joint.
    Just keep adjusting.
    I could barely get 250# up when I got the machine, now I'm able to push around 400#.
    As for deadlifts:
    I WOULD NOT recommend them on the smith.
    Deadlifts are supposed to be performed from the ground anyway so if you don't have a rack, start them from there.
    This FORCES you to get your form right which is key to avoiding injuries.
    Stiff legged should not go past mid calf either, so standing on the ground is fine, I use a step aerobics piece to stand on but only because the squat rack is high and I use about 315# on stiffs.
    Smith is great as a self spotter and for the basic compound movements as well as isolating, but a big NO on the deadlifts.
    Good luck
    If it's all you've got you might as well learn to use it right.

BTW, I'm in my late 30's and have been in martial arts for over 20 years so my knees can flare up, the smith has never hurt them.
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HopkinsSTUD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ya i have to go to the 2nd rate non varsity weight room, which is overall good but doesnt have squat/deadlift rack. Squats on the smith machine seems ok for me, for deadlifts ill have to take a barbell off of a bench. Of course the varsity room has about 20 squat racks that no one ever uses and plenty of deadlift racks. And everyone at JHU knows that admin doesnt care about ugrads, so theres why we have a half ass weight room. ****.

anyway i will defintely do those deadlifts with a barbell.
    I think, therefore I am.