BenjeRH is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What muscle groups to do together

I've lifted weights before, and had minimal results, but the honest truth is, I'm a total newbie. I've started working out again. And I'm having some pretty surprising results. I want to keep that momentum going and get as much as I can from my workouts. Currently I'm doing Chest,Triceps and shoulders on Monday, Back and biceps on Tuesday, Legs on Wednesday. I repeat that cycle for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I take Sunday off. Should I be doing something different? More rest? Different muscle groups together? Oh, and i do 15 minutes of cardio before I lift.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nobody can tell you what you "should" be doing. It's all a learning process. My motto is Learn By Doing. Just keep it up and think about changes you can make over time as you develop.
    Time To Re-Schedule

tenthirty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tenthirty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tenthirty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tenthirty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tenthirty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tenthirty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tenthirty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tenthirty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tenthirty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tenthirty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tenthirty has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    what you're currently following is a really good grouping, youll sustain growth with it for a long time (provided your diet is on point).

If it stops working, then you should be asking what to change, as Tyrbo said its all a learning process

TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looks pretty good.
    As long as your training each muscld group 2/3 per week without using insane amounts of volume happy days! 👌

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by BenjeRH View Post
    I've lifted weights before, and had minimal results, but the honest truth is, I'm a total newbie. I've started working out again. And I'm having some pretty surprising results. I want to keep that momentum going and get as much as I can from my workouts. Currently I'm doing Chest,Triceps and shoulders on Monday, Back and biceps on Tuesday, Legs on Wednesday. I repeat that cycle for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I take Sunday off. Should I be doing something different? More rest? Different muscle groups together? Oh, and i do 15 minutes of cardio before I lift.
    For you, frequency of body part training is your best friend. Beginners will generally make their best (read, most timely) progress from working all their muscle groups 3 times a week on some type of Full Body program.

You'd do well to take a look here:
    Fierce 5 Novice routine:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=159678631

If you don't know how to perform any of the exercises in this program, look them up here to learn how to do them correctly:
    http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

cenpil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cenpil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cenpil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cenpil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cenpil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cenpil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cenpil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cenpil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cenpil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cenpil has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cenpil has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Currently I'm doing Chest,Triceps and shoulders on Monday, Back and biceps on Tuesday, Legs on Wednesday. I repeat that cycle for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I take Sunday off.
    I do this exact split, and I love it. Sometimes I don't take a rest day, and go for 3 or 4 cycles if I feel rested enough. Sometimes I hit push one day, pull the next, and skip legs if they're creamed from a previous workout. Sometimes I hit legs twice with one all-encompassing upper day in between. Like the guy above said, once you start figuring out how each muscle responds and how long it takes to recover in addition to which lifts it's involved in (directly or indirectly), you can adjust on the fly accordingly. Unless you're extremely serious, then you'll need a plan that's very set and thought over.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I just mentioned this in another post but nothing is written in stone.
    You will eventually adapt to your current training and have to change things up for continuing progress.
    Your doing the basic push/pull split which is a good one.
    If you change up you might want to give opposing muscle group training a try.
    Chest/back, biceps/triceps, shoulders/legs are an option also.
    As Ironwill mentioned and as a newbie a full body routine three days a week would probably be your best bet right now.
    Focus on basic compound movements like squats,bench press,overhead press,deadlift or power cleans ,and add in a few other maybe arm exercises(barbell curls,skull crushers) as well as calves and leg curls of some type.
    Stick to it for six months or so and see how it works for you.
    Eat a clean diet lots of protein and get plenty of rest.

b_andersson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) b_andersson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) b_andersson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) b_andersson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) b_andersson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) b_andersson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) b_andersson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) b_andersson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) b_andersson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) b_andersson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) b_andersson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Trial and error. do what you feels more natural for you.

Heres two i use, i switch them around every 6 months.

First:
    Day 1: Chest/Tri/Abs
    Day 2: Back/Bi/Calves
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Legs/Abs/Bi
    Day 5: Shoulder/Tri
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Rest

Second:
    Day 1: Push (chest/shoulder/Tri/quads)
    Day 2: Pull (Back/Hams/Bi/Abs)
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Push*
    Day 5: Pull*
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Rest

Rep range 8-20, usually around 10-15 reps. I have higher rep range because i dont "connect" to the specific muscle group if i rep 3-6.

*Lighter weight and higher reps, depending how sore i am.

Good luckmate!

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pretty much that's my schedule, except I add forearms to the back/biceps day. Everything gets hit twice a week, nothing wrong with that.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Trial and error work to a point. Just don't throw a handful of spaghetti at the wall and eat the strands that stick.

Look over programs that worked for other people with your goals. Try them out, I'd say, for at least 6 weeks minimum (otherwise, you're not really giving it a chance). Think about it, if you are hitting everything twice a week, it would only be 12 workouts per group.

Remember, this is a long-term process.

IMO, as a "newbie" you should be doing some sort of full body, 3x a week routine. There are several around. I like starting strength to help build a base. The program has its critics and its staunch defenders. There are other routines in the stickies.
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)