Registered User markgeorgeevans's Avatar
    markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50)

thinking about not doing bench press or shoulder exercices

Hi guys,

I've been having problems with my shoulders every time I workout. Every time I do bench press or shoulder exercises. The next day I have problems with my shoulders and I have to get them cupped or massaged to get them ready for the next time I workout. I was thinking about doing every other muscle group but my chest and shoulders. Do you think this is ok? Will it cause me any problems to do this and is there any other way I can workout my chest without putting strain on my shoulders?

wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What's your routine? How is your form? Any form videos?
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172508601
    PR’s per January 2018
    Hibar squat: 160kg
    Paused bench: 115kg
    Deadlift: 185kg
    OHP: 77,5kg

FMH Crew, Euro Degenerate in SEA

markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50) markgeorgeevans will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by wowter View Post
    I might upload one when my shoulders are better but I always thought I had good form until now. I've never had a problem my whole life until I got back into it at 32.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Don't do heavy behind the neck militaries. That's what screwed my shoulders up, probably permanently.
    Time To Re-Schedule

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Are you retracting your scapula on benchpresses? Takes considerable pressure off the shoulder when doing so.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Originally Posted by TheShadowMan View Post
    Are you retracting your scapula on benchpresses? Takes considerable pressure off the shoulder when doing so.
    I think I do at the bottom of the movement but not at the top. I'm not sure if I'm doing that correctly or not.

Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    Don't do heavy behind the neck militaries. That's what screwed my shoulders up, probably permanently.
    Yeah I know I stay away from those exercises.

Thanks for the advice!

TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheAuldGit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looks like your issue is technique as apposed to the exercises.
    Alan Thrall has a good video on shoulder rehabing and beyond that you really need to look at technique to avoid adding to existing issues.
    Would defo back off for a while though to rehab and find out exactly whats going on.

Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Charlescheeze is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by wowter View Post
    ^^^ So what is your routine? An unbalanced routine could cause or exacerbate the issue.

What about inclined bench do you have the same issue if you do those?
    My workout journal. Currently running 5/3/1 https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173793371

Registered User nikeoneplatinum's Avatar
    nikeoneplatinum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikeoneplatinum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikeoneplatinum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikeoneplatinum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikeoneplatinum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikeoneplatinum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikeoneplatinum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikeoneplatinum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikeoneplatinum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikeoneplatinum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nikeoneplatinum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you tried dumbbell press, I find it's easier on the shoulders.

Originally Posted by nikeoneplatinum View Post
    Have you tried dumbbell press, I find it's easier on the shoulders.
    I'll definitely give it a try! Thanks!

TrustySquatter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrustySquatter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrustySquatter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would probably look into mobility and flexibility. I personally get a burning in the right shoulder after a flat bench press sometimes so I just ramp up the inclines and incline flyes to take pressure off. I wouldn't not do chest or shoulder exercises, I'd look at building them up slowly in the weak areas (perhaps rotator cuff?) and increase mobility and flexibility. Use a hard dog/lacrosse ball to open the tight areas up regularly. Not sure that helps because I can't fully understand the problem but I hope some of it helps anyway. Good luck my friend.

I found out that bench-press puts your shoulders in a vulnerable position at the bottom of the movement so that is definitely what the problem is!

I'm going to do reverse grip Instead! I was thinking about doing reverse grip flat and decline for upper and lower chest. Do you think this is ok or what would you do to target both upper and lower chest?

Thanks

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by markgeorgeevans View Post
    I found out that bench-press puts your shoulders in a vulnerable position at the bottom of the movement so that is definitely what the problem is!
    To fix this, you work on retracting your shoulder blades. Imagine yourself holding a tennis ball in place with your upper back, you don't require anything to practice this movement either. Mastery of this skill when applied to the benchpress, allows for a stronger more protected positioning of the shoulders when the weight is on. It's not that the exercise is bad, it's a form issue in performing it.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Originally Posted by TheShadowMan View Post
    To fix this, you work on retracting your shoulder blades. Imagine yourself holding a tennis ball in place with your upper back, you don't require anything to practice this movement either. Mastery of this skill when applied to the benchpress, allows for a stronger more protected positioning of the shoulders when the weight is on. It's not that the exercise is bad, it's a form issue in performing it.
    Yeah I do understand but I've struggled to fix my form. I might stick with the reverse grip for now and see how I go.

Thanks for the advice!

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Use dumbells for pressing and experiment with different hand angles and find the most comfortable one. Also don't go all the way down as going deep compromises shoulders way to much.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB