jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50)

What is considered a "long" femur and "long" torso?

I see a lot of people complaining that their squat form sucks because of long femurs or long torso. What is considered long? My femurs are about 22" measured from outside of knee to hip bone, I'm 6" tall. I do not even know how to measure torso.

I'm not really obsessing about this, been squatting for years, I do not enjoy squatting and it's an unnatural feeling movement to me, but I've laways done it.
    Lately I tried to squat high bar for about 3 months, tried hard with form and got a heeled shoe, but it still looks and feels awkward as hell, so maybe I'm just not suited to it.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Long to short femur depends on it's relation to your tibia length more than anything. At least as far as squatting goes.

Torso.. No idea. But a long torso relative to your legs would = a shorter range of motion so an easier squat.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz
    on the internet, its mostly people that suck at lifting looking for an excuse rather than looking to maximize their leverages and actually get stronger.
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they change your username, so don't ask*
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they mass delete your post history, so don't ask*

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jonglo View Post
    My femurs are about 22" measured from outside of knee to hip bone, I'm 6" tall. I do not even know how to measure torso.
    22" long femurs for someone 6" tall is so damn long it almost seems impossible.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by isaku900 View Post
    on the internet, its mostly people that suck at lifting looking for an excuse rather than looking to maximize their leverages and actually get stronger.
    This sums it up quite well.

Basically, Are you a person? Do you have 2 legs and 2 arms? 1 Torso? No injuries? You can lift, get an established coach to learn form from if you need to.
    Most of my lifting gets posted to Instagram - https://instagram.com/fayerjw/

Best lifts 628/391/727 - Best Total: 1747

jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
    22" long femurs for someone 6" tall is so damn long it almost seems impossible.
    Then I'm probably measruing it wrong.

If the ratio is femur to tibia... what ratio is considered long?

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Then I'm probably measruing it wrong.

If the ratio is femur to tibia... what ratio is considered long?
    https://bretcontreras.com/how-femur-...uat-mechanics/

There is probably not enough similarity for it to fall into long or short.
    Find the Squat form that gives you the most power and stability and do that.

Edit: apparently normal length is 24-27% of the persons height.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    https://bretcontreras.com/how-femur-...uat-mechanics/

There is probably not enough similarity for it to fall into long or short.
    Find the Squat form that gives you the most power and stability and do that.

Edit: apparently normal length is 24-27% of the persons height.
    I don't think comparison to overall height is that helpful. For example my shoulders are way lower than other people of the same height, because my next/head must be a bit long. Comparison to torso and tibia seems to be more useful

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Correct.

For people with certain proportions, certain lifts are harder or easier. But for people with a background in physical training or sports they're easier, for those with none they're harder. For people with no injuries they're easier, for those with injuries they're harder. For people with a good kinaesthetic sense they're easier, for motor morons they're harder. And so on.

We all have something that makes a lift easier or harder for us. Adjustments may have to be made - for example, if your legs are long then you'll have a very horizontal trunk at the bottom of a squat, but widening your stance will bring your trunk up. So if it feels weird you get coaching and figure it out. Don't sweat it.

sure, but whats a long femur.

KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    sigh

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    sigh
    I think I made it clear in my opening post that I have always squatted, I will continue to squat and I work hard on my form.
    If you don't know the answer to the question just say you don't know.

screamingjesus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) screamingjesus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) screamingjesus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) screamingjesus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) screamingjesus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) screamingjesus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) screamingjesus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) screamingjesus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) screamingjesus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) screamingjesus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) screamingjesus is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It actually is beneficial to check your limb measurements if you have never done it, for beginners anyway. When I coached some of my friends starting out squatting for the first time, instead of weeks of trial and error, I just immediately encouraged the guy with the long femurs to bend over more. I didn't really have a fixed number of what was long, I just used comparison, and you can usually just eyeball it too.
    Anyway if you think that's unnecessary I still don't see any benefit to acting like this is forbidden knowledge or a distraction. As long as people don't use it as an excuse it's harmless.
    Anyway you can probably find figures at exercise physiology websites.
    Levicticus 27-3: set the value of a male between the ages of twenty and sixty at fifty shekels of silver, for a female, set her value at thirty shekels

jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesteraq has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    He's right you know
    560/425/750 - 1735@207

isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz
    I think I made it clear in my opening post that I have always squatted, I will continue to squat and I work hard on my form.
    If you don't know the answer to the question just say you don't know.
    its more that the answer doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by screamingjesus View Post
    Anyway if you think that's unnecessary I still don't see any benefit to acting like this is forbidden knowledge or a distraction. As long as people don't use it as an excuse it's harmless.
    its not that its forbidden knowledge, its just that its majoring in the minors. Even for those with very long femurs its a few percentage points difference. Its a very very minor difference and requires minor changes to technique execution and it may be beneficial to get bigger....but its almost always beneficial to get bigger and stronger. Getting bigger and stronger fixes 90% of these "omg muh leverages" complaints anyways.

people do use a minor difference in femur length relative to torso length as an excuse though, its a common one that's fairly prevalent on internet forums, likely due to self-selection of participants.
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they change your username, so don't ask*
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they mass delete your post history, so don't ask*

well that's another reason i'm so curious. All these people say their femurs are too long but I can't find a resource anywhere that actually gives average limb proportions. Where are they getting their info?

themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As someone with "long femurs", so much this.
    ig: @monkaycrak

Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173015051

5/7/16 Meet Results: 391/237/534 @ 161.

9/24/16 Meet Results: 402/242/528 @ 159.

3/18/17 Meet Results: 402/253/545 @ 163.

well that's another reason i'm so curious. All these people say their femurs are too long but I can't find a resource anywhere that actually gives average limb proportions. Where are they getting their info?
    From squatting badly.

"I do this badly and find it hard, it must be my proportions."

Maybe. Or maybe it's just that squats are fcking hard however you're built.

MrMcD4nger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sit in a chair with your legs parralel to your hips. Lean forward until your scapula (shoulder blades) are directly over your ankles. If you feel flexion and or strain on your back, you have long femers. Ps I find it ridiculous how all the muscle heads here try to play alpha and talk about the excuse lack of thought comments. That's great maybe be a little more cerebral dickheads and stop promoting the jock stereotype. His question is easily answered and doesn't need unfounded bigotry to prove superiority. It was obvious that he was thinking about maximizes his biomechanics to help his leverages...

MrMcD4nger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Actually tendons only stretch so far you need stretching and stability work if you have bad leverage. Increase mobility adding more muscle helps to a certain point then its weight makes it hard to move.

Registered User NoGainNoPainBro's Avatar
    NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think most reactions here are quite unfair. It's a legit and in my opinion interesting question.

NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    people complaining that their squat form sucks because of long femurs or long torso.
    btw a relatively long torso is usually considered good for squats. The shorter the torso, the more you have to lean forward to bring the bar over midfood. A long torso allows you to stay more upright.

Found this video which demonstrates extremely well how proportions influence the squat: