kaysieb is on a distinguished road. (+10)

newbie needing recommendations

Hi!

I need recommendations for a protein supplement. I'm currently on a medication that curbs my appetite and I've lost a lot of weight recently. I'm not an avid exerciser but I'm starting to accept that I have to in order to not look so weak. Trying to get myself to eat something before 6pm everyday (when my medicine wears off), especially if I'm going to start working out. What protein supplements would y'all suggest given my current situation?

Thanks!

AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Protein powder is only that - powdered protein. If you're having trouble reaching your protein goals for the day, it's a good option.

Get on a good, proven strength training program like Starting Strength. Calculate your macronutrient needs (there are calculators available). If you're taking medication that kills your appetite you may just need to make yourself eat (fasting until 6pm is pretty hard on the body especially if you're untrained and looking to get more active).

In any case, if you do all that and still find yourself having trouble reaching your protein goals for the day, PES Select, Controlled Labs ProMORE, Animal Whey, and NutraBio proteins are all good options. I'm still a big fan of Body Nutrition Trutein as well, but it's fallen out of favor here.
    ***THE AFRO POPE: "The Man Who Never Gets Mad Online"***

koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There are no shortcuts to weightloss..
    Resistance training > "medication"

What are your current stats? Height and weight?
    What are your current calorie intake and/or macros?

emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    suggest you speak with your doc about other options to your rx since it curbs your appetite and have lost a lot of weight recently
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Thanks for your response!

I'm not on the medicine to lose weight, it's just a side effect. I'm trying to get my body healthy again by training, but I need protein to do that.

I'm 5'5" 120 lbs--15 pounds less than when I started the medication
    I've never counted calories (before or after medication) and honestly couldn't even ballpark a number, literally ate whatever and whenever I wanted to

Macros are at:
    Protein-111
    Fat-4.9
    Carbs-278
    Fiber-18

AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kaysieb View Post
    Thanks for your response!

I'm not on the medicine to lose weight, it's just a side effect. I'm trying to get my body healthy again by training, but I need protein to do that.

I'm 5'5" 120 lbs--15 pounds less than when I started the medication
    I've never counted calories (before or after medication) and honestly couldn't even ballpark a number, literally ate whatever and whenever I wanted to

Macros are at:
    Protein-111
    Fat-4.9
    Carbs-278
    Fiber-18
    4.9g of fat?

Thanks for the response! I know how rough it is to not eat all day :/ I'm trying to get better but it's really hard for me to stomach food on amphetamines. I'm going to try one of the powders you suggested. Thanks again!

yep, that's all!

(kidding, typo) it's 49-50

Originally Posted by kaysieb View Post
    yep, that's all!

(kidding, typo) it's 49-50
    You just never know in this forum

My knee-jerk response is that those macros are VERY low and your calories are too low to get you gaining any weight.

You are absolutely correct! Those are low macros....2019cal/day diet to be exact. I don't necessarily want to gain weight. I like how trim I am, I just want to build muscle. I know with building muscle comes weight gain but I wasn't really sure of what to put when calculating my macros. I also don't really understand why they would go by height and weight considering everyone wears it differently. Isn't a more accurate calculation done with measurements?

I know you are probably rolling your eyes at this girl who knows nothing of what she's talking about...I just want lean, strong arms and legs. I'm scrawny. Losing 15 pounds on my frame really showed.

mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would suggest an all in one to replace the calories you can't take in, I'd suggest Mass-Tech.

Or, you could go with Nitro-Tech 100% Whey Gold and add whole milk, and blend it with chia seeds, peanut butter, and fruits.

HowsUrDaySir is on a distinguished road. (+10) HowsUrDaySir is on a distinguished road. (+10) HowsUrDaySir is on a distinguished road. (+10) HowsUrDaySir is on a distinguished road. (+10) HowsUrDaySir is on a distinguished road. (+10) HowsUrDaySir is on a distinguished road. (+10) HowsUrDaySir is on a distinguished road. (+10) HowsUrDaySir is on a distinguished road. (+10) HowsUrDaySir is on a distinguished road. (+10) HowsUrDaySir is on a distinguished road. (+10) HowsUrDaySir is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein is pretty good. They also have Casein protein, which stays in your system longer than whey. I think that the general rule for finding good proteins was like see if the protein content (in grams on the nutrition label) per serving is >70% of the total serving (in grams). For example, ON Gold Standard Whey Protein is 31 grams per serving, and has 24 grams of protein in each serving. 24/31 is .774, which is 77.4%, so it is pretty good.

andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nutrabolics Isobolic is a good option, sustained release protein blend to help keep you fuller longer.
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/photos/view-user-photos/158620