forcajovem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) forcajovem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

1 year progress--slow bulk or keep cutting?

In short, I managed to be consistent for the most part of the past year. I finished a much-needed cut after going up to 160 lbs, 20%+ body fat.

I went down to 135 lbs. After my weight stabilized as I went back to eating at maintenance, I slowly started adding on weight (gain of 0.5lbs a week).

After a couple of months, I'm now at 145 lbs. I don't look as skinny as before. I've only attached the current, relevant pictures of me at 145 lbs.

My question is--do I continue a slow bulk at a sensible rate for a few more months? Or is my body fat, as seen in the pictures, too high?

Also, I have a thinner than average bone structure, so I'm naturally lighter by the numbers than most (while skinny at 135, I did not look like a skeleton).

Please be as brief as you'd like to be with your feedback.

Much appreciated!
    Attached Images

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What workout are you following? What do you bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press?

Location: Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Whether your body fat is too high or not is up to you and your preference for how you look. However based on your pic I'd say if you kept cutting down you wouldn't have a great base, and it's probably worth just continuing the lean bulk.
    IIFYM

Start Weight : 300
    Goal Weight : 200
    Aug/Sep Motivation Thread: 262 | 260.8 | 258.8 | 257.2 | 255 | 264.5 | 256.3 | 254.4

dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What is your height?

forcajovem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) forcajovem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    What workout are you following? What do you bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press?
    Push, pull, leg days. 4 workouts a week. I haven't focused on strength as much recently, but I think my numbers are fine for these lifts. Decent standard anyway. I can bench press my weight comfortably, do two plate deadlifts, 1.5x bodyweight squat comfortably, etc.

Originally Posted by DyingAtheist View Post
    Whether your body fat is too high or not is up to you and your preference for how you look. However based on your pic I'd say if you kept cutting down you wouldn't have a great base, and it's probably worth just continuing the lean bulk.
    Thanks for your feedback.

I was thinking of adding another 5 pounds over the next 2 months, and then reassessing then. Is this a good plan, or should I be thinking even more long term?

Originally Posted by dipatel13 View Post
    What is your height?
    I'm 5'8. I have a small bone structure though, so at my LBM and body fat percentage most guys my height will weigh 10 lbs heavier.

dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    PPL workout, but only 4 days per week? How does that work out? PPL is meant to be run 2x per week which means 6 days in the gym so you're hitting everything twice per week. With your current split, it's likely you're not getting adequate frequency.

At 5'8 and 145lbs, you don't really have the mass to cut. Might try eating around maintenance and getting on a better lifting plan.

unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Def keep lean bulking in a controlled surplus and lifting heavy. You don't have near the base to support a decent cut yet. You need to continue to add muscle slowly for another year at least and then consider cutting
    The Deadlift is the ultimate fight of you VS the bar.

you can't half rep a deadlift.
    you can't bounce a deadlift.
    you can't arch to get an easier deadlift.
    you won't have a spotter to help the hard part of a deadlift.

there's just you, some heavy ass weight, and your b!tch ass having to pick it up.

Originally Posted by dipatel13 View Post
    PPL workout, but only 4 days per week? How does that work out? PPL is meant to be run 2x per week which means 6 days in the gym so you're hitting everything twice per week. With your current split, it's likely you're not getting adequate frequency.

At 5'8 and 145lbs, you don't really have the mass to cut. Might try eating around maintenance and getting on a better lifting plan.
    I do PP more frequently than L, because I play sports on other non-lifting days so I don't hit the lower body as much. My lower is sufficiently developed anyway. I've always felt upper's lagged behind.

Meaning, I usually hit PP at least 3 days a week, so I'll hit push twice one week, pull once, and vice versa the next.

Hope that clarifies things. Might not be perfect, but I'm definitely hitting several body parts more than once a week.

Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Def keep lean bulking in a controlled surplus and lifting heavy. You don't have near the base to support a decent cut yet. You need to continue to add muscle slowly for another year at least and then consider cutting
    Will do, thanks.

Lastly, what would you say is my body fat % approximately at the moment?

I'll keep to a controlled surplus, but I hope I'm able to keep my body fat % under control as much as possible as my weight goes up.

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Keep cutting, why stop now? You're so close to being lean!
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

Originally Posted by forcajovem View Post
    I do PP more frequently than L, because I play sports on other non-lifting days so I don't hit the lower body as much. My lower is sufficiently developed anyway. I've always felt upper's lagged behind.

Meaning, I usually hit PP at least 3 days a week, so I'll hit push twice one week, pull once, and vice versa the next.

Hope that clarifies things. Might not be perfect, but I'm definitely hitting several body parts more than once a week.
    It's far from perfect and it's hindering your goals to have a bad lifting routine. Fix your routine unless you're satisfied with suboptimal results from your efforts.

Go here and read the stickies and pick a properly designed routine: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Originally Posted by skelooth View Post
    I'm still conflicted. I'm trying to weigh my options the next few days before coming to a decision.

The way I see it, can either continue down this lean bulk path now, gaining ~1-2 pounds a month for the next 8-12 months, or lean out as much as possible over the next 3 before doing that.

The issue was that I was cutting (off and on) for so long that I got tired of it. A whole year. I had to take at least a month or two break. For that at least it was worth it.

I'm still conflicted. I'm trying to weigh my options the next few days before coming to a decision.

The way I see it, can either continue down this lean bulk path now, gaining ~1-2 pounds a month for the next 8-12 months, or lean out as much as possible over the next 3 before doing that.

The issue was that I was cutting (off and on) for so long that I got tired of it. A whole year. I had to take at least a month or two break. For that at least it was worth it.
    As I said above, you don't have the muscle mass to support a cut. You're already at a low weight for your height. You need to focus on building muscle mass right now.

unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Really?? Negged for telling someone at 145lbs to cut. I mean seriously that is just bad bad advice.....

there's just you, some heavy ass weight, and your b!tch ass having to pick it up.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Does anyone have an estimate as to where my body fat % is currently?

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    Really?? Negged for telling someone at 145lbs to cut. I mean seriously that is just bad bad advice.....
    Dude has man titties. Your broscience is ridiculous.

OP's BMI is 22.

Your BMI is
    Normal (18.5 to 24.9)
    A normal adult weight for this height is between 121.7-164.4 lbs

He can lose PLENTY of weight. Going on a "slow bulk" is not going to make him lean, not matter how much this forum rotted your perception of reality. Next you'll be telling him to cut on 3,000 calories and how he'll never lose weight if he doesn't reduce his cardio to 10 minutes per month. :eyeroll:

So instead of telling him to lose the last 10 lbs, you just tried to sabatoge him with bull**** bro science.
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Eat at, or every so slightly above maintenance and hit the gym hard.

And fix your posture - which is the only reason your side pic looks as bad as it does.

jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I bet that after this the OP is going to be even more confused. LOL!!!

OP's BMI is 22.

Your BMI is
    Normal (18.5 to 24.9)

He can lose PLENTY of weight. Going on a "slow bulk" is not going to make him lean, not matter how much this forum rotted your perception of reality. Next you'll be telling him to cut on 3,000 calories and how he'll never lose weight if he doesn't reduce his cardio to 10 minutes per month. :eyeroll:

So instead of telling him to lose the last 10 lbs, you just tried to sabatoge him with bull**** bro science.

OneDayForward is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How about this. Eat healthy, lift weights. Repeat. Dont worry the scale. Pick a program, stick to it, keep a journal. There should be no talk of cutting or bulking. Just my 2 cents

Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm going to chime in and add to others by asking a couple of simple questions.

Do you want to look lean fast, or do you want to looks muscular?

If you want muscle, begin a lean bulk...now.

If you want to look lean, you need to continue on your cut and ensure you're hitting the gym hard, getting the right amount of nutrition for proper recovery to maintain muscle mass. For a year's worth of training on a cut, your body composition suggests that either your diet's not in check, or you're not going hard enough.

Like others said, building muscle might be the path of least resistance at this point, since it will fill out your frame a bit more. But if you want like a 'six pack', you'd want to cut further and tighten up your nutrition, go harder in the gym... Even incorporate some HIIT for faster results :v)

OP's BMI is 22.

Your BMI is
    Normal (18.5 to 24.9)

Yea... normal by who's standards? In case you haven't noticed this is a BODYBUILDING site and where did I use bro science? I am sure other's will chime in here but I think most would agree that cutting at his stats would not be the best move. How may I ask is my advice sabatoging him? If he keeps the surplus small he shouldn't add much fat and will be in a 100x better position to cut when he actually has a decent foundation. If he cuts without the base, he will appear skinny as hell not to mention make gaining muscle much harder. With that being said I apologize for my previous post as that was uncalled for and rude however in this case you are still wrong.

To say I'm confused at this point would be an understatement, lol.

I definitely appreciate the different opinions, though.

I know losing fat is easier than building muscle, which makes me think maybe I should do a hard cut for 3 months, before dedicating the entire Fall and Winter to adding mass. Maybe the issue I've had with adding muscle is that I've never dedicated a long enough timeframe for it. This could be a solution.

What would you guys say is a reliable estimate for my body fat %, based on the front picture? I'm aware a have a bit of APT as seen in my side pic, so front would be a better judge.

Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    To say I'm confused at this point would be an understatement, lol.

I definitely appreciate the different opinions, though.

I know losing fat is easier than building muscle, which makes me think maybe I should do a hard cut for 3 months, before dedicating the entire Fall and Winter to adding mass. Maybe the issue I've had with adding muscle is that I've never dedicated a long enough timeframe for it. This could be a solution.

What would you guys say is a reliable estimate for my body fat %, based on the front picture? I'm aware a have a bit of APT as seen in my side pic, so front would be a better judge.
    This conforms thoughts I was having. You have been slowly losing fat over time on a deficit, but your natural mucle mass doesn't show due to the inconsistency of your lifting schedule. You can A. Start cutting for x period of time while lifting more regularly to get a 'leaner' lower bf% physique, but not muscular kind of look. Or you can go for the man-mode look and B. begin clean bulk right away, fill out your form... have an easier time around on your second cut.

B. is what I recommend for the simple reason that you dont seem committed enough to the gym, despite the fct that you lift. How often did you go to the gym per week?

This is all up to u. A lot of people here are gonna say bulk bulk! Depends what u want ... if you don't lift heavy enough and build out some natural muscle mass you're going to look like skeletor 3 months from now at your current rate /style of cutting.

Originally Posted by Adare1 View Post
    This conforms thoughts I was having. You have been slowly losing fat over time on a deficit, but your natural mucle mass doesn't show due to the inconsistency of your lifting schedule. You can A. Start cutting for x period of time while lifting more regularly to get a 'leaner' lower bf% physique, but not muscular kind of look. Or you can go for the man-mode look and B. begin clean bulk right away, fill out your form... have an easier time around on your second cut.

B. is what I recommend for the simple reason that you dont seem committed enough to the gym, despite the fct that you lift. How often did you go to the gym per week?

This is all up to u. A lot of people here are gonna say bulk bulk! Depends what u want ... if you don't lift heavy enough and build out some natural muscle mass you're going to look like skeletor 3 months from now at your current rate /style of cutting.
    I'm committed to the gym, even if my pictures show otherwise. I lift weights 4 times a week, and play sports/do cardio 1-2x a week. The problem has been my nutrition, and the fact I've alternated endlessly between these cycles. Needless to say, I've learned my mistake.

The silver lining in this situation is that my physique is actually noticeably better than it used to be. In other words, the last time I was at my current weight (145) I has even less LBM and slightly more body fat then.

I'm definitely avoiding the "bulk, bulk" approach because I'll just get fat from it. But if I were to add 2 pounds a month for the next 4 months, would that be a feasible way of adding a bit more mass before leaning out? This is what I'd ultimately like to do. But I'm worried that my current body fat is too high (someone please confirm this if you could).

Location: Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm committed to the gym, even if my pictures show otherwise. I lift weights 4 times a week, and play sports/do cardio 1-2x a week. The problem has been my nutrition, and the fact I've alternated endlessly between these cycles. Needless to say, I've learned my mistake.

The silver lining in this situation is that my physique is actually noticeably better than it used to be. In other words, the last time I was at my current weight (145) I has even less LBM and slightly more body fat then.

I'm definitely avoiding the "bulk, bulk" approach because I'll just get fat from it. But if I were to add 2 pounds a month for the next 4 months, would that be a feasible way of adding a bit more mass before leaning out? This is what I'd ultimately like to do. But I'm worried that my current body fat is too high (someone please confirm this if you could).
    That's where I'd go with it, lean bulk aiming to gain 2 pounds a month and build yourself a better base to cut down to. It might take more than 4 months though, probably will.
    IIFYM

Start Weight : 300
    Goal Weight : 200
    Aug/Sep Motivation Thread: 262 | 260.8 | 258.8 | 257.2 | 255 | 264.5 | 256.3 | 254.4

LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Hey man, from the pictures it just doesn't look like you have much muscle to begin with. I'm just being honest and that is gonna be the basis on what you should do and what I am basing my advice on. I'm your height too and 145lbs is pretty light. I would suggest eating at maintenance or slightly above where you are gaining 1.5-2lbs a month (2lbs max) until you hit about 155-157lbs. You need to be hitting the gym HARD during this time. Get on a proven program (there's a bunch in the stickies) and stick with it. Once you hit that weight you can re-assess and see if you want to cut. You gotta know that this **** takes TIME. Start thinking in terms of months and years for where you want to be.
    My Fierce 5 U/L Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173961421

Originally Posted by LPD11 View Post
    Hey man, from the pictures it just doesn't look like you have much muscle to begin with. I'm just being honest and that is gonna be the basis on what you should do and what I am basing my advice on. I'm your height too and 145lbs is pretty light. I would suggest eating at maintenance or slightly above where you are gaining 1.5-2lbs a month (2lbs max) until you hit about 155-157lbs. You need to be hitting the gym HARD during this time. Get on a proven program (there's a bunch in the stickies) and stick with it. Once you hit that weight you can re-assess and see if you want to cut. You gotta know that this **** takes TIME. Start thinking in terms of months and years for where you want to be.
    I think this is the way to go. Before you posted this I had in mind 155lbs as my upper limit. I'll work hard in the gym and be diligent with my nutrition over the next few months to try and have the best body composition by the time I'm 155lbs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it should also be interesting to see how my build compares then to my past pictures of 155lbs (in the middle of a cut). I think at that point I'll be able to see significant progress for the first time.

I think this is the way to go. Before you posted this I had in mind 155lbs as my upper limit. I'll work hard in the gym and be diligent with my nutrition over the next few months to try and have the best body composition by the time I'm 155lbs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it should also be interesting to see how my build compares then to my past pictures of 155lbs (in the middle of a cut). I think at that point I'll be able to see significant progress for the first time.
    Yea man absolutely! It will take time but you will be much happier with the result then if you cut now. I am pleased to see you agree with us now

^ For sure.

Thanks to everyone again for the feedback.

jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jb_alphamale has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good luck and report back in few months!!
    ^ For sure.

Thanks to everyone again for the feedback.