redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Why does the close grip bench press primarily target the triceps, not the chest?

I'm still a noob at bodybuilding (only lifting for about a year and a half on a consistent basis) and I still don't understand why CGBP targets the triceps more than the chest. My gym coach told me to use the CGBP because, well its a great triceps builder. I asked him why and why isn't the regular normal grip bench press a great triceps builder and what is the difference besides the grip? He said "just lift don't talk" lol. But I am still puzzled and he didn't answer my question, why does the majority of the tension shift from the pecs onto the triceps using a closer grip on bench?

Hawksmere666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hawksmere666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hawksmere666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hawksmere666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hawksmere666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hawksmere666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hawksmere666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hawksmere666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hawksmere666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hawksmere666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hawksmere666 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bench (wide or med grip) use back, chest, and of course shoulders as well as tric whereas CGBP mainly focuses on your smaller muscles in the arms, and mainly the triceps as it's a push motion which naturally engage the forearms too. Therefore you are able to isolate your triceps and forearms and if done correctly, won't use your back, chest or shoulders much if at all. but i agree with....just do it!

Originally Posted by redmchalo View Post
    I'm still a noob at bodybuilding (only lifting for about a year and a half on a consistent basis) and I still don't understand why CGBP targets the triceps more than the chest. My gym coach told me to use the CGBP because, well its a great triceps builder. I asked him why and why isn't the regular normal grip bench press a great triceps builder and what is the difference besides the grip? He said "just lift don't talk" lol. But I am still puzzled and he didn't answer my question, why does the majority of the tension shift from the pecs onto the triceps using a closer grip on bench?

Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by redmchalo View Post
    The wider the grip on the bench press, the more chest and shoulders get recruited. By narrowing your grip to a close-grip, you're minimizing chest and shoulder involvement. Elbow flare will also affect which muscles are targeted as well. More elbow flare will target chest and shoulders, and less elbow flare will target tricep.

You can also think of it in reverse, which is exercises like pushdowns or tricep pulldowns. You keep your arms glued to your side and push/pull down using a narrow grip to target your triceps. If you were to take a wide grip on those, your shoulders and other muscles start getting introduced into the mix.
    S: 455, B: 375, D: 545