BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Help me understand if I can hold my own at a local meet?

I've been thinking about entering my first competition. I would compete in a raw natural competition, and i'd compete at 198.

I haven't been training to compete, but I've always focused on strength, and i'm curious if I can hold my own in my weight class with some adjustments to training and diet.

To my understanding, a 1500 total would be elite level for a raw natural 198 meet. I'm far off, but not too far off. Here are my current tested totals:

Bench is my weak area at 320 last time I tested.

Squat is at 415 last time I tested.

Deadlift is my strong lift. Current tested max is 525 BUT this was pulled after repping 505 and a few lower weights. I wasn't fresh, and I know I can pull more.

So, being conservative I think I can push 330 - 340 on bench, 425 - 435 squat and 540 - 550 dead for a total of around 1300.

I know this is nowhere close to elite level, but i'm curious if I could hold my own in a local meet with these numbers? Anybody have any experience on the local level at 198?
    Squat and Deadlift

SA249 is just really nice. (+1000) SA249 is just really nice. (+1000) SA249 is just really nice. (+1000) SA249 is just really nice. (+1000) SA249 is just really nice. (+1000) SA249 is just really nice. (+1000) SA249 is just really nice. (+1000) SA249 is just really nice. (+1000) SA249 is just really nice. (+1000) SA249 is just really nice. (+1000) SA249 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The answer you want to hear: yes those numbers are fine for a 198 at the local level. You should do fairly well.

The other side of the coin is that you can't control who else shows up. Plus, at a local meet, it's not like the world is going to care how you do anyways. Best to just sign up for a meet, put some numbers on the board, and then work to improve on them the next time you step on the platform.
    Multi ply powerlifter trying to be skinny and lift raw

Multi- 1003/700/738 @308
    Raw- 705/446/650 @242

B.Sc Kin

IG: @seth_albersworth
    Email: sethalbersworth@gmail.com

BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BenBlue has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SA249 View Post
    The answer you want to hear: yes those numbers are fine for a 198 at the local level. You should do fairly well.

The other side of the coin is that you can't control who else shows up. Plus, at a local meet, it's not like the world is going to care how you do anyways. Best to just sign up for a meet, put some numbers on the board, and then work to improve on them the next time you step on the platform.
    That's what I was looking for, thanks man. I'm not expecting to be a top contender, I just don't want to step up to the platform and make an ass of myself.

Wouldn't be expecting any recognition on a "worldly" level at all. I'm not delusional :P I've always trained for myself, so competing would also be for personal satisfaction. It's been a while since I've done anything competitive, and i'd like to test myself against others.
    Squat and Deadlift

Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Honestly, nobody is really going to care about your numbers except you. It's more than likely they'll be cheering for you than hoping you fail or miss a lift. Worry about doing all your lifts correctly with the commands and getting white lights, 9 out of 9 should be a priority even before your PRs. If you don't get those lights, none of your lifts matter. But, your numbers are fine. However, depending on federation, it's not just by your total, it's by age and your actual weight etc., the Wilks number. Enjoy the experience, learn from it.
    BP 307 (meet)
    DL 468 (meet) @183lbs.
    SQ 355 (gym)

http://irontheoryathletics.blogspot.com/

www.irontheoryathletics.com coming soon!!!

Originally Posted by Bubbarossa View Post
    Honestly, nobody is really going to care about your numbers except you. It's more than likely they'll be cheering for you than hoping you fail or miss a lift. Worry about doing all your lifts correctly with the commands and getting white lights, 9 out of 9 should be a priority even before your PRs. If you don't get those lights, none of your lifts matter. But, your numbers are fine. However, depending on federation, it's not just by your total, it's by age and your actual weight etc., the Wilks number. Enjoy the experience, learn from it.
    Awesome feedback, thanks man. This is all new to me, the lights and the 9 out of 9. Had to do a quick google search to know what you meant. I'm excited to compete and learn from the process.
    Squat and Deadlift

Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bubbarossa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BenBlue View Post
    Awesome feedback, thanks man. This is all new to me, the lights and the 9 out of 9. Had to do a quick google search to know what you meant. I'm excited to compete and learn from the process.
    No problem! Practice the commands with your training partner (if you have one); I start practicing about 6 weeks out. The environments, at least that i've competed in are loud (music, cheering, announcers), everything is going quickly, so you want to make sure you're attuned to the commands. I see people re-rack too soon all the time!
    BP 307 (meet)
    DL 468 (meet) @183lbs.
    SQ 355 (gym)

http://irontheoryathletics.blogspot.com/

www.irontheoryathletics.com coming soon!!!

Originally Posted by Bubbarossa View Post
    No problem! Practice the commands with your training partner (if you have one); I start practicing about 6 weeks out. The environments, at least that i've competed in are loud (music, cheering, announcers), everything is going quickly, so you want to make sure you're attuned to the commands. I see people re-rack too soon all the time!
    I probably would have been one of those guys, hence why I wanted to make a post here and get more of a feel for it all. Really helpful man, thanks again, i'm stoked.
    Squat and Deadlift

RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    -get a side view video of your squat depth and make sure it's not questionable
    -practice benching with a start command, 1 second pause, and rack command
    -practice lowering the bar to the floor under control on your deadlift if you don't do that already

also, find out if the squat will be done in a squat stand or monolift, and if you happen to train using a deadlift bar, you'll want to switch to using a stiff bar
    NSCA CSCS
    ACSM EP-C

Originally Posted by RVAPump View Post
    -get a side view video of your squat depth and make sure it's not questionable
    -practice benching with a start command, 1 second pause, and rack command
    -practice lowering the bar to the floor under control on your deadlift if you don't do that already

also, find out if the squat will be done in a squat stand or monolift, and if you happen to train using a deadlift bar, you'll want to switch to using a stiff bar
    Thanks for that man, very helpful. I haven't been training my lifts with commands, so I'll get my wifey to help in that department, but I always control the weight on the way down from my deadlift. I do train with a stiff bar as well. To my understanding you can typically pull a little more with a deadlift bar?
    Squat and Deadlift

RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RVAPump has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BenBlue View Post
    Thanks for that man, very helpful. I haven't been training my lifts with commands, so I'll get my wifey to help in that department, but I always control the weight on the way down from my deadlift. I do train with a stiff bar as well. To my understanding you can typically pull a little more with a deadlift bar?
    probably not your first few times using it, it takes some time to get used to the whip, but yes, most guys eventually can pull more on a DL bar
    NSCA CSCS
    ACSM EP-C

probably not your first few times using it, it takes some time to get used to the whip, but yes, most guys eventually can pull more on a DL bar
    Good to know.

Cheers!
    Squat and Deadlift

_Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just sign up and compete, my man. You'll have a good time. A PL meet contains a majority of guys who cheer each other on, regardless of what weight is on the bar or how big/small you are. Your numbers are pretty solid for a 198'er. I think I posted an 1105 total the first time I ever competed (it was a 198'er). So for that frame of reference, you have me beat. Compete, set your numbers, and then train for another meet where your goal would be to best those numbers.
    Best Meet Lifts:
    SQ: 460 (sleeves)
    BP: 350
    DL: 510
    Total: 1300 (242 wrapped)

"I refuse to tip-toe through life, only to arrive safely at death"

www.animalpak.com

Originally Posted by _Aggression_ View Post
    Just sign up and compete, my man. You'll have a good time. A PL meet contains a majority of guys who cheer each other on, regardless of what weight is on the bar or how big/small you are. Your numbers are pretty solid for a 198'er. I think I posted an 1105 total the first time I ever competed (it was a 198'er). So for that frame of reference, you have me beat. Compete, set your numbers, and then train for another meet where your goal would be to best those numbers.
    Right on brother, sounds like a blast and I really appreciate the positive feedback. I'll be looking into meets in my area over the next week. Can't wait to compete.
    Squat and Deadlift

most of the time you'll see nearly unanimous support by the lifters for each other at local meets, I think sh*t talking is normally seen on the national and world stage if anywhere

although a guy I beat in a meet once did start telling everyone I sold drugs afterward, but that's not the norm
    NSCA CSCS
    ACSM EP-C

PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just go and do it for yourself. Most people's meet numbers are lower then gym numbers for a reason, judges can be very strict depending on the Federation. Listen to the commands, moving before the command gets you a red light. Not going to depth on squats, and the bar moving back down after the "squat" command will get you a red. On the bench, wait for all three commands. Judge will only say "press" after bar touches chest and you demonstrate control of the bar (no bounce). Bar can not move down at all after "press" command. Keep steady at top (don't sway) until "rack" command. For Deadlift wait for "down" command and put it down with control. If you truly believe you are at Elite level for you weight and age check the State and National record for your Federation. If you are actually going attempt to beat a record you should tell the judges prior to approaching the platform so a State or National judge can witness it. Good luck and please post results.
    Elite Powerlifter Masters Divison 50-54
    USPA PR @123lb (pounds): SQ 303.1 - BP 248 - DL 391.3 Wilks 394.37
    USPA PR @132lb (pounds): SQ 341.7 - BP 248 - DL 430
    16 State / 15 American / 10 World Records / 2 ATWR / 3x Best Lifter Award
    IG: fit.wraith

most of the time you'll see nearly unanimous support by the lifters for each other at local meets, I think sh*t talking is normally seen on the national and world stage if anywhere

although a guy I beat in a meet once did start telling everyone I sold drugs afterward, but that's not the norm
    Originally Posted by PhantomMaxx View Post
    Just go and do it for yourself. Most people's meet numbers are lower then gym numbers for a reason, judges can be very strict depending on the Federation. Listen to the commands, moving before the command gets you a red light. Not going to depth on squats, and the bar moving back down after the "squat" command will get you a red. On the bench, wait for all three commands. Judge will only say "press" after bar touches chest and you demonstrate control of the bar (no bounce). Bar can not move down at all after "press" command. Keep steady at top (don't sway) until "rack" command. For Deadlift wait for "down" command and put it down with control. If you truly believe you are at Elite level for you weight and age check the State and National record for your Federation. If you are actually going attempt to beat a record you should tell the judges prior to approaching the platform so a State or National judge can witness it. Good luck and please post results.
    Thanks guys. I'll def post back with results soon as I compete. First step is to register with CPU and find a meet. I saw a meet near me in May, but it doesn't look like any 198ers have signed up yet? Anyhoo, i'm stoked. I'll post back once I have a meet date set.
    Squat and Deadlift