AdrinJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Angry 5 Months - NO VISIBLE RESULTS!

Hi everyone,

To make a long story short, I took my 2nd progress picture yesterday and was extremely disappointed to see that there is absolutely no visible difference between it and the one I took 5 months ago. Not just my own perception, it has been confirmed by objective parties.

I had a body comp scan done at the beginning of the 5 months, and I was at 27% body fat. I've always been decently active but in the last 5 months, I've gone to Crossfit 4-5x/week and have been eating ~1600 calories/day (I'm tracking). I've seen my strength skyrocket and I'm lifting double what I was 5 months ago. I was even able to do my first strict pull-up a couple of days ago.

I'm not trying to sound vain, as I actually do love how I feel. But it's just incredibly discouraging to work so hard and not SEE any results. Anyone else in the same boat?

P.S.: Not looking to use it as an excuse, but I do have a thyroid condition... Maybe that has something to do it?

Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AdrinJ View Post
    Hi everyone,

To make a long story short, I took my 2nd progress picture yesterday and was extremely disappointed to see that there is absolutely no visible difference between it and the one I took 5 months ago. Not just my own perception, it has been confirmed by objective parties.

I had a body comp scan done at the beginning of the 5 months, and I was at 27% body fat. I've always been decently active but in the last 5 months, I've gone to Crossfit 4-5x/week and have been eating ~1600 calories/day (I'm tracking). I've seen my strength skyrocket and I'm lifting double what I was 5 months ago. I was even able to do my first strict pull-up a couple of days ago.

I'm not trying to sound vain, as I actually do love how I feel. But it's just incredibly discouraging to work so hard and not SEE any results. Anyone else in the same boat?

P.S.: Not looking to use it as an excuse, but I do have a thyroid condition... Maybe that has something to do it?
    There have been several thyroid discussions if I remember correctly. In short, no. While hypothyroid will decrease your TDEE, it is not even remotely close to what people make it out to be, and it's mostly used as an excuse why he/she isn't losing weight.

What is most likely true in your case, is that you are either underestimating calorie intake, overestimating calorie expenditure, or both.

And in most cases it's both.

You need a food scale, and learn how to accurately track everything that goes into your mouth. I suggest calculating your sedentary TDEE and working from there, meaning create a deficit by subtracting from your sedentary TDEE. Adjust later if necessary.

Keep in mind that if you try to eat back the calories you think you've burned "additionally" through some activity, that this will be a recipe for disaster.

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you lost any weight or not?

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hi everyone,

Have you lost any weight I recommend losing 1lb of bw a weight a week on a cut.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fe6xvYbVY
    Follow my Powerlifting and Bodybuilding Journey on Instagram derock5996
    Eat clean and train hard and keep it natural!
    -USAPL Powerlifter in the 93KG weight class

Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    Have you lost any weight or not?
    I've actually gained 2lbs.

As for nutrition, I do have a food scale and have been weighing everything. I meal prep every week religiously! But I'll keep focusing on that.

Bean100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bean100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bean100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bean100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bean100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bean100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bean100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bean100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bean100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bean100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bean100 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

As for nutrition, I do have a food scale and have been weighing everything. I meal prep every week religiously! But I'll keep focusing on that.
    So then you're basically eating at maintenance. What are you eating? There's no way you're eating 1600 cals. You're counts are off by at least 500 calories.

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

What are your height and weight and where are you getting your calorie info?

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you arent seeing the results you want and are working so hard, why not eat a bit more. You think your strength has gone up now, it will really take off once you have the proper fuel.

Not like a sumo wrestler, just eat a bit more. You will lose weight and get better performance and look and feel better.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

rutkat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rutkat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rutkat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rutkat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rutkat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rutkat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rutkat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rutkat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rutkat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rutkat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) rutkat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If you're counting your calories and workout 4-5x/week maybe it's the type of food you're eating. You can list 2x what you lifted 5 months ago, that is great! You should be proud of that. As people say, the proper diet is very important not just the calorie count. What type of food do you eat?

I'm 5'2" and weigh 136lbs. I was previously eating around 1200-1400kcal (before I was tracking) and upped it when I started working out more. I've found it challenging to eat so much, especially trying to get 120g of protein in.

As for what I'm eating: I usually have eggs in the morning, a protein shake or greek yogurt mid-morning, chicken/veggies/grains at lunch (~450kcal), a Clif bar before Crossfit and a protein shake after. If I have any leftover macros, I'll eat something small for dinner, but I'm not usually hungry.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'm 5'2" and weigh 136lbs. I was previously eating around 1200-1400kcal (before I was tracking) and upped it when I started working out more. I've found it challenging to eat so much, especially trying to get 120g of protein in.

As for what I'm eating: I usually have eggs in the morning, a protein shake or greek yogurt mid-morning, chicken/veggies/grains at lunch (~450kcal), a Clif bar before Crossfit and a protein shake after. If I have any leftover macros, I'll eat something small for dinner, but I'm not usually hungry.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
    If you want to lose fat, you need to eat less. I don't really understand why you are making yourself eat more if you are trying to lose weight.

You don't need to eat that much protein. I aim at .8 grams per pound of bodyweight. For you that would be 108 grams.

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Well you have 5 months of experience roughly maintaining your weight. And it sounds like you are putting tools in place to help you stay on track so don't get too discouraged.

We all think it would be fun to eat more. Fat loss requires eating less and moving more for most people.

The numbers game and tracking errors can convince us of all kinds of things. The question is what do you want to do, and what are you prepared to do to get there?

If you aren't managing your thyroid with a doctor you should consider getting that done. If it's medically managed you might need to accept that the ball is mostly in your court, but keep your doctor in the loop obviously.

Just for example, I only have half a thyroid. My thyroid levels are well managed by a qualified doctor. Thus when I struggle to lose weight, I tend to look first at what I am eating, and second at what activities I am doing.

Stay positive OP. I know you are stronger than when you started this. You did a pull up. Even if you aren't seeing drastic changes in the mirror today there are changes occuring. Your laying a foundation of strength that will be beneficial. You added some muscle you just aren't seeing yet.

Post 12 has some good info, .8g protein per pound as minimum is highly supported by science.
    Last edited by EjnarKolinkar; 03-07-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have a friend who is 5'3, and does two a days and she eats 1200 when she wants to cut.

When you're small that is unfortunately what you have to do.
    ** Forever Cutting Crew**

Squat: 375lbs
    Bench: 253lbs
    Deads: 485lbs

Thanks everyone! I'm encouraged by everything you guys have said, I'll keep going at it and try eating less.

Cheers to everyone, the BB community really is great!!

3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by crupiea View Post
    If you arent seeing the results you want and are working so hard, why not eat a bit more. You think your strength has gone up now, it will really take off once you have the proper fuel.

Not like a sumo wrestler, just eat a bit more. You will lose weight and get better performance and look and feel better.
    I don't think not eating enough is his problem...

topper1 is a complete loser! (-2000) topper1 is a complete loser! (-2000) topper1 is a complete loser! (-2000) topper1 is a complete loser! (-2000) topper1 is a complete loser! (-2000) topper1 is a complete loser! (-2000) topper1 is a complete loser! (-2000) topper1 is a complete loser! (-2000) topper1 is a complete loser! (-2000) topper1 is a complete loser! (-2000) topper1 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Great strengh gain while no weight loss. Clearly your calorie counting is way off. Drop your calories lower.