anita4114 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How long out of the gym - AC joint reconstruction & rotator cuff repair

Hi All

I am very new to this forum.
    And I was not too sure where to post my question...

I am a 31 year old female, do a lot of sports. Kickboxing, Gym (lifting 4-5 times a week) squash

I love to be active.

In November 2016 I slipped while riding my motorcycle and landed full force with my shoulder first on the street.

It turned out I had a grade three shoulder separation. due to the controversy and the MRI did not show any other damages my surgeon and I decided to take the conservative route. Let it rest for a few weeks and then physio.

It did take some of the discomfort away but I would still have a lot of clunking, clicking and catching in my shoulder. which caused daily pain. I could not even think to fo back to my usual activities.

Therefore on my surgeons advise I agreed to go for the surgical option.

He had chosen an AC joint reconstruction useing the tightrope and depending on the condition, using an allograft and an excision of the clavicle.

This was done on Thursday.

I saw my doc quickly on Friday morning but I was still a bit confused from the anesthesia so I did not ask all the questions I wanted.

He explained me that the condition of my shoulder was worse than expected so he did everything and also he repaired damaged rotator cuff muscles.

Before the op he told me with the AC reconstruction I would be out of the sling in about two weeks and able to start lifting in about six.

Also he mentioned that I would have my first post op appointment about ten-14 days after the surgery.

When I saw the physio in hospital she told me My Dr does not want to me to move my shoulder at all except some pendulum exercises and I need to go and see him on mo day (3days post op)

My questions:

- How does the rotator cuff damage / repair impact the recovery time

- I got a tons of pain killers which I am taking and I am in very little pain. Do I really feel so much better because of the drugs? The pain of the initial injury was excruciating, so at the moment I feel like this is a walk in the park. Am I misled by the painkillers?

- Also I was supposed to be away from work for two weeks but now he gave me a medical certificate for four weeks.

- How long will I be out of the gym?

Just wondering if anyone had a similar injury.

I will ask my doc on Monday about all the details.

Sorry for the long text.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Obviously talk to your doctor. This was given to me after my surgery.

It is from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.

Guidelines for Returning to Weight Training After Shoulder Surgery

You should not return to training with weights on either weight machines or using barbells until your surgeon determines that it is allowed.

In general, the following timetable illustrates when it is safe to return to weight training following your particular surgery:

Rotator cuff Repair 6 months
    Bankart Repair 3 months
    Labrum Repair 4-6 months
    Arthroscopic subacromial decompression 4-6 months
    Thermal Capsular Shrinkage 3 months

Before embarking on a weight training program, you should have full range of shoulder motion and normal strength in the rotator cuff and scapular muscles. Your motion and strength will be tested by your surgeon or physical therapist before you receive this handout.

When starting your weight training program, you can start with 3 sets of 15-20 repetitions. Training with high repetition sets ensures that the weights that you are using are not too heavy.

NEVER perform any weight training exercise to the point of muscle failure. “Muscle failure” occurs when, in performing a weight training exercise, the muscle is no longer able to provide the energy necessary to contract and move the joint(s) involved in the particular exercise. Joint, muscle and tendon injuries are more likely to occur when muscle failure occurs.

The following weight training exercises should be avoided:
    1. Pull downs behind-the-neck (wide-grip)
    2. Behind-the-neck shoulder press
    3. Wide-grip bench press
    4. Standing lateral deltoid raises
    5. Triceps press overhead

The following exercises require special cautions:
    1. Pull downs should only be done in front of the head, to the chest, with a medium (not wide) grip.
    2. Shoulder press overhead should be done carefully, avoiding heavy weights. If doing shoulder presses, always start with the hand in front of the shoulder and end overhead where you can still see your hand. For persons using barbells, this is the “military press”.
    3. If bench pressing, your grip should be no wider than the width of your shoulders. Avoid any exercises using grips wider or narrower than shoulder width.
    4. Lateral deltoid raises should be avoided because of the impinging and wearing effect on the rotator cuff. Forward raises in the “thumb-up” position are usually safer and can be done with reasonable weights. Lateral raises from the prone or bent over position can be done as a substitute for standing lateral deltoid raises.
    5. When doing Incline bench press with barbells, there is a danger of shoulder dislocation if the lifter loses control of the bar when returning the barbell to the rack of the incline bench. Always have a spotter for removing and replacing the barbell in this exercise.
    6. If you are doing any type of “chest-fly”, keep in mind the following precautions.
    Do not do any chest-fly exercise with straight elbows. Always allow the elbows to bend and never lower your hands (holding dumbbells) below the level of your chest.
    7. If you are using a “Pec-Deck” machine, never let the weight stretch the arms so that your elbows pass behind your chin. You can set the arms on this machine a few clicks forward to adjust the maximum motion allowed.
    8. If you a performing “dips” using a set of parallel bars, never lower yourself below the point where the elbows reach a 90 degree angle.
    9. For triceps exercises, triceps push-downs on a pulley system are safe as well as bent-over triceps extensions.
    10. When doing the upright-rowing exercise, keep your grip at least 12 inches apart. When pulling the bar upward toward the chin, do not raise the bar higher than the point at which the elbow reaches shoulder level.

Exercises Usually Problem-Free
    1. Biceps Curls
    2. Cable and bent-over rowing
    3. Shoulder shrugs

If your goal is returning to high level weight training or weight lifting, it will take 3 to 6 months of cautious, gradual progression to return to top form. In general, avoid increasing the amount of weight lifted by more than 10-15% (at a time) of your present working weight every 10-14 days.

Remember: Weight training is beneficial to improve muscular strength and protect the joints from injury. If done improperly by using too much weight and/or improper technique, weight training can cause serious injury.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

anita4114 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey

Thanks for your speedy reply and that information which is definitely helpful.

Of course I am going to talk to my doc, It's just driving me nuts only after 3 days not being able to move

Thanks

jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jsari23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    agreed def talk to your doctor as everyones surgeries and recovery is different but

I had shoulder surgery (larbrum repair and stabalization) at the end of last August and was out of the gym completely for about 1 month. then only returning a few times a week to do only lower body exercises on machines that did not impact my shoulder or upper body, was not even allowed to do cardio on elliptical for a few months, and did not even start PT for some time and was imbolized in sling for quite a while I think at least 6 weeks

shoulders are rough and take a long time to heal go easy and listen to you Dr and your PT
    instagram: @mackitten
    cats ;) instagram: @khanthebengal

Currently running PR Bulgarian Method template
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170583541&p=1425289591&viewfull=1#post1425289591

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170108803&pagenumber=

You think you know ... what's to come ... what you are. You haven't even begun.

PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by anita4114 View Post

My questions:

- I got a tons of pain killers which I am taking and I am in very little pain. Do I really feel so much better because of the drugs? The pain of the initial injury was excruciating, so at the moment I feel like this is a walk in the park. Am I misled by the painkillers?

- Also I was supposed to be away from work for two weeks but now he gave me a medical certificate for four weeks.

- How long will I be out of the gym.
    The damage to an RC either mainly because of deteriorating cartilage or direct trauma. At least 6 weeks, do not push it though, everybody is built different. Your body will be the only answer this question. I would go through PT just working on RC movements.

Yes they are misleading you. I would suggest using the pain killers for only about 2 weeks, by then the swelling, surgery, and tender feeling of the repair should be minimializing. I would get off of them as soon as possible so your body is not relying on them. Taper off after two weeks and ONLY keep them when you need them; a flair up, etc.

Take the 4 weeks off if you can afford it and get some GOOD PT. One that has sonar heat to get the blood flowing again.

You can stay in the gym but restrict yourself to lower body workouts. The RC is very sensitive. Give it time and do not push it. After 6 weeks slowly start doing some RC rotations with no weights and once you feel good from there SLOWLY increase the weights. Swimming will be very good therapy as well.

Savoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by anita4114 View Post
    Hi All

I am very new to this forum.
    And I was not too sure where to post my question...

I am a 31 year old female, do a lot of sports. Kickboxing, Gym (lifting 4-5 times a week) squash

I love to be active.

In November 2016 I slipped while riding my motorcycle and landed full force with my shoulder first on the street.

It turned out I had a grade three shoulder separation. due to the controversy and the MRI did not show any other damages my surgeon and I decided to take the conservative route. Let it rest for a few weeks and then physio.

It did take some of the discomfort away but I would still have a lot of clunking, clicking and catching in my shoulder. which caused daily pain. I could not even think to fo back to my usual activities.

Therefore on my surgeons advise I agreed to go for the surgical option.

He had chosen an AC joint reconstruction useing the tightrope and depending on the condition, using an allograft and an excision of the clavicle.

This was done on Thursday.

I saw my doc quickly on Friday morning but I was still a bit confused from the anesthesia so I did not ask all the questions I wanted.

He explained me that the condition of my shoulder was worse than expected so he did everything and also he repaired damaged rotator cuff muscles.

Before the op he told me with the AC reconstruction I would be out of the sling in about two weeks and able to start lifting in about six.

Also he mentioned that I would have my first post op appointment about ten-14 days after the surgery.

When I saw the physio in hospital she told me My Dr does not want to me to move my shoulder at all except some pendulum exercises and I need to go and see him on mo day (3days post op)

My questions:

- How long will I be out of the gym?

Just wondering if anyone had a similar injury.

I will ask my doc on Monday about all the details.

Sorry for the long text.
    Hi Anita,

I had a Grade V from a hiking accident on July 15th and had AC joint reconstruction surgery with graft on August 1st. Open surgery with nerve block, general anesthesia. It was an incredibly difficult decision. Like most decisions under pressure they are not always correct as I might have made it through without the surgery.

The recovery for mine is still unclear, but at 4-6 weeks I can let go of the immobilizer and it can't come too soon as I live alone. I have to go back to work and miss doing my regular workouts. At 6 weeks PT begins and after 6 weeks of that I'm not sure.

The best thing is to talk to your doctor and seriously don't push anything until your doctor gives the ok.

You do have youth working for you, I'll be 65 soon and it does take longer.

Good luck on your recovery and keep us posted if you can!

This might be useful: Add the www to the beginning of this...
    massgeneral.org/ortho-sports-medicine/conditions-treatments/pdfs/AC-joint-Reconstruction-Protocol.pdf

PM me if you want to chat about it..

savoi