Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

6 year progress pics (realistic expectations)

Lots of questions of the forums about “progress” (or lack of it) lately, so I decided to share mine since starting lifting again at age 42. I made a nice collage of pics that show a slow steady progress from 143 pounds to 163 pounds over a 6 year time frame, most of it gained in the first year with only a pound or 2 each subsequent year. I think it helps to illustrate how small gains might not be immediately apparent, but they add up with dedication, grit, and above all patience.

I wrote about 4 pages of text to accompany the pictures…but decided I’d just let the pics speak for themselves (for example, I think you can tell I tried to “bulk” at year 5). A couple disclaimers worth mentioning:

First, I lifted hardcore from age 18-24, so muscle memory played a part in my quick initial gains, but by the end of year 1, a 12 pound gain is totally obtainable by anyone who wants it.

Second, As you can see, I started from skinny…I have a small skeleton, short muscle attachments, and a concave chest…however, I also have a good metabolism, and work a physical job, so I can be a little more sloppy when it comes to diet, and have never been fat, so I can’t relate to being overweight (my idea of “fat” is when I can only see my top 2 abs).

Third, there is a certain amount of “illusion” in bodybuilding…these pictures are some of the best I took. Some are pumped and if not candid, I try to get the best lighting and strike a pose that compliments my particular body. For each good picture are 2 dozen crappy ones…so while I look like I lift, I don’t always walk around pumped, flexing, and posing, so take the pics with a grain of salt.

Fourth (just my unpopular opinion), while I’m reasonably strong, I’ve never trained with strength as a goal. Strength is simply a bi-product of lifting for aesthetics and hypertrophy. I believe the highly recommended and popular strength programs are a good starting point to learn basic moves, understand progressive resistance, and start to understand how your body reacts to lifting…but realize it’s strength training, not bodybuilding, and for many people, it’s not the optimal way to gain aesthetic size. I’ve known guys much stronger than me that look like chit in the mirror. I’m a strong believer in heavy compound basic moves as a core, but I’ve always done 6-12 rep scheme, brief but intense, bodybuilder style workouts (attempting to make the exercises harder, to feel the muscles, not using leverage to try and lift the most weight). MHO and training philosophy.

Finally, although experienced lifters will laugh that I feel I have to mention this (it’s for the newbies), at 5’7”, 163 pounds, about 15% body fat, arms that barely measure 16” pumped, and a net gain of about 20-25 pounds of muscle over a 6 year span…if you think I’m anything but natural you have been spending too much time watching whiney little beeches on Youtube. Being realistic goes both ways…you must understand that there are people you can’t look like with your particular genetics and without getting extra “help”. But don’t be a wimp who believes you can’t build a totally obtainable physique with hard work, dedication, and a bit of sacrifice (and many people will think my gains are sub-par for 6 years). It seems like one of many popular excuses these days to think everyone better than you is “on something”…more likely, they have been at it longer and/or work harder at it.

Hopefully some people will find this useful, entertaining, or maybe even inspiring. I'm a sucker for comparison progress shots...if anyone else wants to share, by all means, post em.

Pic one: Through the years
    Pic two: Comparison shots
    Pic Three: Filling out a (small size) T-shirt

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Looks like good progress to me, especially legs in the current pic. Added some good size there for sure. Strength training for me is focusing on the compound lifts. I work in the same rep ranges usually 5-8 range for most things. Working compounds in that range just seems like the most efficient way to do it for me. Get maximal stimulation for the body parts I'm training in the hour or so I have to train.

Great work.

wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm glad you posted the pics with your shirt on. I found it frustrating to look at myself with my shirt off sometimes, but man can I tell a difference once I put my shirt on.

As far as bodybuilding vs strength training, I totally agree. I saw my best gains once I learned the difference between the two. But, I still have workouts once every 4-6 weeks where I go in with the idea of increasing my overall strength. I find that I stall on weight progression if I stay with the higher reps, but going lower reps every once in a while helps keep the wheels greased so to speak.
    ALL I ASK IS ALL YOU GOT FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Looks like good progress to me, especially legs in the current pic. Added some good size there for sure. Strength training for me is focusing on the compound lifts. I work in the same rep ranges usually 5-8 range for most things. Working compounds in that range just seems like the most efficient way to do it for me. Get maximal stimulation for the body parts I'm training in the hour or so I have to train.

Great work.
    Thank you. Legs are a bitch for me and I really have to (continue to) work on them.

Yep I agree. I think the most important thing is for a person to find their personal sweet spot for their personal goal. My sweet rep range seems to be 7-9, except my legs which seem to respond to either 4 heavy reps, or upwards of 12 lighter reps.

Originally Posted by wesleysh21 View Post
    I'm glad you posted the pics with your shirt on. I found it frustrating to look at myself with my shirt off sometimes, but man can I tell a difference once I put my shirt on.
    I thought it might be fun...in all honesty, that's the way people see me in the real world. I never have a reason to take off my shirt in public, and don't even like having my shirt off at home. Now that I've been working out at home for 2 years, nobody even sees me lifting weights anymore.

So it's kind of hilarious that I don't like it when my abs start to disappear. You can see in the last two pictures that I'm much larger looking at around 15% body fat, than when I'm leaner. Since that's how everyone sees me it would make more sense to stay "fatter" and look bigger...right? Those darn abs!

Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Your progress is pretty damn impressive.

BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000)
    Awesome man, a lot of this has to do with patience and perseverance - I'm 8 months into lifting and hope to be doing this for many years to come. I love it, it hurts, leg days suck, but I grind my way through it. Still some trail and error for me but it's getting there slowly.

I know I've asked this before, but any chance you can give a brief run down of your routine? How often do you change it up?
    Cheers,
    Bill K

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think its pretty good progress. I train mainly for strength w/ any aesthetics as a by-product but I use many rep ranges regularly.

Do you think the type of work you do ( lots of walking) as hindered your ability to gain more leg size? (Sorry not sure if you've addressed this before)
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Originally Posted by BillPhoto View Post
    I know I've asked this before, but any chance you can give a brief run down of your routine? How often do you change it up?
    It's kind of a tall order that can't be wrapped up into a nice neat package.

After getting "prepared" (a few weeks of body weight exercise, followed by a few weeks of just squats, deadlifts, and bench), I started in on a Push/Pull/Legs split. Approximately 3 exercises of 3 sets for large body parts, and 2 exercises of 3 sets for small. Compounds whenever possible, but I didn't waste time on any wimpy isolation exercises either, concentrating on things like skull crushers and straight bar curls for single joint movements. 45 second rests between sets. I was working out 4 days a week, with weekends off. I did this for the first year.

The next two years I changed to an Upper/Lower split. Same basic idea, rest periods, and workout days...but 3 exercises for 2 sets for big muscles, and 2 exercises for 2 sets for small.

For the next year I decided to try a program someone else designed for a change. I thought there were some interesting ideas behind Steve Shaw's Bulldozer training. https://www.muscleandstrength.com/ar...ng-system-tool It was very different, and I really enjoyed it...but I think it would kill me now.

For the last 2 years I've been doing full body routines. I do a lot of tweaking and experimenting and the things I've learned about my body, and have implemented over the last year have been particularly productive (at least I think). If you look at my development over the last two years, you might notice a muscular maturity (for lack of a better term) that has taken place.

Ultimately, I'm always doing a full body, so no matter what I decide to experiment with, it doesn't require restructuring the entire program, just inserting it into the current workout, and watching for results.

I'll try to list the core ideas I implement in my training...but keep in mind, this is just for me. I'm not trying to design a program, give any advice, or recommend doing what I do. I'll probably forget to mention a score of minute details...things I do instinctively.

-I work out full body, every other day or about 1 hour (give or take a little). I've found I don't need the 2 day weekend off, and since I work out in the wee hours of the morning at home, it doesn't interfere with my life, so working out the same days every week isn't necessary for me.

-I "warm up" with dynamic stretching and a few lighter sets of my first exercise for about 10 minutes.

-I do one exercise for 3 sets per large body par, 2 sets per small. These are Chest, Back, Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps, quads, hamstrings, and calves. I don't specifically work traps or forearms, and have recently stopped working abs. All of these muscles get enough work from other exercises, and ab work just made my oblique's wider.

-I do 3 separate workouts, and rotate the exercises, so each of the major muscles (Chest, Back, and quads) has a "heavy" day where it's worked out first on a bigger lift.

-I now rest 2 minutes between sets. In addition, I alternate sets of opposing muscle groups when possible (so, in effect, I'm resting 4 minutes between sets). Example: Chest, 2 min, Back, 2 min, Chest, 2 min, Back, 2 min, chest, 2 min, back, 2 min. I've found this allows me to use heavier weights, stick in the desired rep range for all sets, and is time efficient. Note, I can't do this with squats, as they are really a full body movement and take too much energy our out me. I rest about 3 minutes between sets, or less if I feel ready to go. Deadlifts, I do one set of singles, resetting between each rep and going as soon as I feel ready.

-While there is some variation, I generally work in the 7-9 rep range. I take each set to one rep before failure...or failure if I miscalculate. Each set is given maximum effort, no holding back because I know I have a bunch more sets to do.

-I choose exercises that I think are productive AND I enjoy doing. I attempt to arrange them for maximum efficiency, without too much pre-fatigue, or working out one particular muscle too hard on a given day.

While exercises get swapped in and out, here is my current line-up:

Day 1
    Bench
    Pull-ups (wide grip)
    Side Laterals
    Barbell Curls
    Lying Tri Extensions (skull crushers)
    Squats (Bodybuilding Squats)
    Good Mornings
    Standing Calf Raises

Day 2
    Deadlifts
    Leg Curls
    Standing Calf Raise
    Dips (chest)
    Chin-ups
    Military Press
    Tri Press-down

Day 3
    Bent Over Rows
    Dumbbell Incline Press
    Seated Dumbbell Curls
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    Dips (upright, for triceps)
    Leg Press (vertical)
    Romanian Deads
    Leg Press Calf raises

Now it might not look or sound like much, or anything special...but I'm a firm believer in the quality, grit, and intensity (the other definition) you approach your workout with. Some guys have more (or less) of that elusive oomph! it takes to push yourself beyond where most people quit. That's why some people look like nothing after years in the gym, some guys look like me, some guys look like the elites on this forum, and some guys go on to be world champions. I'm sure Arnold got more out of one set than I get out of an entire workout...and I'm sure I get more out of one set than many other people get out of their workout.

I also think that the split doesn't really matter...it's all about finding out how much work you can do and how long it takes you to recover and grow. Once you figure that out you can apply it to any split from a full body to a bro-split. If you have the formula right for your goal you will get there no matter what, as long as you have the drive and dedication.

Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    I think its pretty good progress. I train mainly for strength w/ any aesthetics as a by-product but I use many rep ranges regularly.
    I know it's different for everyone. I don't want to sound like I'm dissing strength training, I just I keep reading newbie posts that say they are doing a strength program and haven't made any progress...then they go on to say their weights are going up. Strength program = strength gains! What they mean to say is they are training for one thing and can't understand why they aren't gaining something else. I certainly don't want to dissuade newbies from learning the core fundamentals of any good program...just want to let them know there are other avenues to explore once you have the basics down, and decided they have a different goal.

Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Do you think the type of work you do ( lots of walking) as hindered your ability to gain more leg size? (Sorry not sure if you've addressed this before)
    Without a doubt. We had a discussion about it on these forums a few years back when I was crying about my poor leg development. I finally took some good advice from guys like Ironwill, ID and Kimm and started doing some extremely uncomfortable heavy squats for low reps. I was pretty amazed at how hard a person can really push themselves on squats with the right mind set. I used to work out legs in the recommended higher rep ranges, but now I work them out in the same rep range as my upper body, since they get enough endurance training on my job.

I'm sure the walking hinders full recovery...but what's a guy to do? When I retire in 8 years my legs are going to blow up like balloons!

Originally Posted by Rabbitjb View Post
    Your progress is pretty damn impressive.
    Thank you...I don't know if 20+ pounds is "damn impressive" (since some guys gain that in a year), but I'll take it

BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for your long post Grubman ... you are an absolute gentleman. Cheers!!! Seriously appreciate the effort you went to to write all that up
    Cheers,
    Bill K

mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Pretty awesome. I'll be over the moon when I reach something like your 1year picture.

Tigerzen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tigerzen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tigerzen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tigerzen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tigerzen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tigerzen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tigerzen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tigerzen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tigerzen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tigerzen will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tigerzen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for sharing, as others have said it's inspirational and proves that Age is no barrier to muscle growth even though sometimes it feels that way.

DND1999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DND1999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DND1999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DND1999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DND1999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DND1999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DND1999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DND1999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DND1999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DND1999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DND1999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Great progress! That's where I'm trying to get to. This is motivation but I got a while before I get to where you are. Keep it up!

dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Fantastic write up and awesome progress.
    Instagram - @dazlittle123

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Excellent work

additionally, this is a very informative and inspiring post, perhaps one of the better ones I have seen in my 15 years of kicking around this site. Many will gain from this, kudos on a job very well done!
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    One thing you might want to try is doing your squats and pull-ups early in the session as a SS, I have been doing this lately and find it serves two purposes. It allows some decompression of the spine, and the lat pump really seems to help me get more upper back tightness for squats. I like SS Bench with BB rows since they are antagonistic muscle groups and I don't think it would add much time to have both a vertical and horizontal back movement. I like Full-body training right now I'm doing a two day split all upper body then back and legs. I just dont have the time or energy for Full-body with the volume I try to get 20-30 work reps per bodypart on heavy days and around 40 per exercise on volume day. I have always almost felt stronger on bench though when SS it with Rows, again I think the back activation from the rows helps the bench and the pressing on bench primes the muscles in the back for the rows....

strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000) strongpath is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just want to give props for a thoughtful post that will be helpful to a lot of folks and underscores that if you are frustrated with your "progress" because you want hypertrophy but are following a strength program, your programing doesn't line up with your goals. Good work man!
    CPU National Championship Bench March '17 - 130 kilos 286 lbs, M2-93 kilo class
    Raw Bench Bash August 17 - 135 kilos/297 lbs, M2-93 kilo class

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. There was a pretty big stall around year 2,3, and 4 where gains were pretty slow. This forum with it's good advice, inspirational people, and as a hub of tossing around ideas sure helped. If I can give back a little of the same, that would be great.

Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    One thing you might want to try is doing your squats and pull-ups early in the session as a SS, I have been doing this lately and find it serves two purposes. It allows some decompression of the spine, and the lat pump really seems to help me get more upper back tightness for squats. I like SS Bench with BB rows since they are antagonistic muscle groups and I don't think it would add much time to have both a vertical and horizontal back movement. I like Full-body training right now I'm doing a two day split all upper body then back and legs. I just dont have the time or energy for Full-body with the volume I try to get 20-30 work reps per bodypart on heavy days and around 40 per exercise on volume day. I have always almost felt stronger on bench though when SS it with Rows, again I think the back activation from the rows helps the bench and the pressing on bench primes the muscles in the back for the rows....
    There are lots of good ideas in here to think about...because at this point, to be honest, I've pretty much maxed out the intensity level I can handle in a full body workout. I feel It's time where the only way to see continued gains is to increase volume (it comes down to working reps, like you said), and there is no way to add constructive volume using a full body workout. I've tried 2 times now to switch to an upper/lower, using most of the same fundamentals of my full body, but with but using (basically) 2 exercises for large, 3 set each, 1 exercise for small, 3 sets each. This would give me about 20 more reps per week on big body parts. Small would be the same but they would be getting more indirect work. Also I have more energy to expend per workout...and I feel a little less totally tapped afterward. My legs seem to respond well to this, but both times I've done tried to switch I end up pulling multiple muscles in my upper body (usually in the bicep/forearm or trap/shoulder area. I rarely get "injured", so this has me a little befuddled. I'm probably going to try again soon, experimenting with ways to combat this (perhaps more warm-up targeted at these problem muscles).

On the squats, ha ha, I've tried to do them first many times (and I do on leg day if its a split), but on the full body workouts, they just take so much juice out of me the rest of the workout is sub-par. Mentally I love doing squats, but physically I hate them. who would think 3 sets (well, 5 if you count warm-ups) of one exercise could take so much out of a person.

PressStart is on a distinguished road. (+10) PressStart is on a distinguished road. (+10) PressStart is on a distinguished road. (+10) PressStart is on a distinguished road. (+10) PressStart is on a distinguished road. (+10) PressStart is on a distinguished road. (+10) PressStart is on a distinguished road. (+10) PressStart is on a distinguished road. (+10) PressStart is on a distinguished road. (+10) PressStart is on a distinguished road. (+10) PressStart is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Very nice progress - thats the way to look fit 35+
    I wish I had the same stamina with my fitness plans

CaptainAnarchy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You look great for natty and the progress natural is probably excellent, however looking at those pics and the progress is disconcerting to me... I am 35 somewhere between 1-2 years solid in, and I am bigger no doubt, but nowhere close to what guys are doing in 1 year... I gained 13% of my body weight in year 1 which was way below the 18% I wanted to gain. When I was training calisthenics 4-6 hours a day when I was 26 I had better gains in 1 year.. I believe I am in the same boat as a lot of guys my age that are smaller framed that are looking to break 170lb and would like to get into the 180-210 lb range... I am a similar height and build as the poster..

Thanks for the post and info good stuff...

Disclaimer: My comment is not a thread hijack just voicing what I was thinking when I first looked at the pics etc. I believe my comment reflects what a lot of people are thinking, and many of us who watch guys pushing 240+. So, I don't want to detract from the posters progress because it is fantastic, and the poster looks good. Just wanted to put out the reality that many of us are dealing with and this post kinda hit home when considering natty vs ~~~.. Note: I see nothing wrong with unnatural methods if it is under doctor supervision, and many of us can afford to have biweekly blood tests etc. The problem is they have criminalized and restricted these activities which has caused more harm than good... When someone has to think about going to Eastern Europe or Europe to train that is a problem. I would never advocate unnatural means without being under strict supervision of a doctor. My issues for not attaining my goal was simple I don't eat enough, I smoke, and drink every once and awhile.. Simply by stop smoking and increasing my calories would have me see better gains, however everyone has a vice(s) However, still it weighs heavy on me whether to continue natty... I believe I am voicing a perspective that many have...
    Last edited by CaptainAnarchy; 01-24-2017 at 04:13 AM.

TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is a fantastic post, thanks for sharing Grubman.

Hope I can emulate some of your success here.
    Training Log : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175236371
    PRs- (in KGs at meets): 170/120/200
    FMH Crew - The Crazy Uncle

Nanakorobi yaoki

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice work there grub.

Originally Posted by CaptainAnarchy View Post
    I believe my comment reflects what a lot of people are thinking, and many of us who watch guys pushing 240+. So, I don't want to detract from the posters progress because it is fantastic, and the poster looks good. Just wanted to put out the reality that many of us are dealing with and this post kinda hit home when considering natty vs ~~~..
    Yeah, I too had aspirations of being HUGE when I was younger. There comes a point where everyone who loves bodybuilding has to make THAT choice. Me, I made mine, am happy with it, and have become content with the realization that I will never be larger than life. Still, I find a lot of personal satisfaction in my modest gains and improvement. It's become more about feeling fit as I age, liking the way I look, and feeling a sense of accomplishment whenever I see improvement. So yeah, while my slow progress might be a good example of what average Joe can accomplish, I can see how it would be depressing to someone who aspires to look like a "real bodybuilder".

Originally Posted by TnTNZ View Post
    This is a fantastic post, thanks for sharing Grubman.

Hope I can emulate some of your success here.
    Thanks man...take pictures as you go! You won't regret it. I don't think I would have noticed any progress without pictures. In my mind I was bigger and better at year 1, because that's when people started to notice...but with pictures I can see how much I've improved since then.

Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    Nice work there grub.
    Thanks...only 10 more pounds of muscle to go! (hmmm...that might take another 6 years).

weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    great work. This progression should be in the stickies, for new members to show how it is done

BMX10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BMX10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BMX10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BMX10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BMX10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BMX10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BMX10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BMX10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BMX10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BMX10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BMX10 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Plus 1 for a stickie! I sincerely wish I could have seen and had this pounded into my head when I started back 2 years ago. May have saved me a lot of time, money, injuries, and wheel spinning etc etc. On the other hand I am grateful to learn what you are illustrating the hard way as well. It may prevent me from going backwards or quitting all together because of the "lack of progress". At any rate great posts and tremendous progress due to a lot of hard work and dedication OP!

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Grub

Just catching up.

I wanted to say you look really good man. Nice work. You have a great balance about you. I can definitely see a density and maturity of your physique that has come along with the size.

Nice work man! 48 or ANY age!
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

I don't think it warrants a sticky, but thanks. A sticky that had pics of a wide range of lifters progress would give a better average.

Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    Grub

Just catching up.

I wanted to say you look really good man. Nice work. You have a great balance about you. I can definitely see a density and maturity of your physique that has come along with the size.

Nice work man! 48 or ANY age!
    Thanks man. I owe two of my most productive changes directly to experiments inspired by you. Going really heavy on squats and much longer rest periods than I had been talking (which works much better as I age).

drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drkelly74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That is some good progress. Thank you for posting.

I am three years into my weight lifting journey. I am 43 yrs old, and started trying to build muscle when I turned 40. I wish I had taken pictures before I started. I put on about 20-25 lbs in the first two years, but the gains stalled after that with very little to no noticeable gains during the third year. I wasn't starting from absolute zero though. I had been doing a little lifting for many years, but I would classify it as pre-beginner type lifting.