Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000)

getting in COLD water after lifting weights to remove acid help build muscle???

Hey I was talkin to the Athletic Director at my High School the other day. He was sayin how some of the other HS's have their kids get in like 40 degree water for 3-5 minutes because it pulls the acid out of their muscles so they don't dee-teer-ee-8....(I can't spell)
    I guess a lot of the Olympic athlets are swearing by it and do it after all tpyes of moderate physical activity.
    I just wondered if any of you guys knew anything about it, and if it would be worth trying.

Apocalypse_old has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i don't know about helping to build muscle but Don Bebee from the Green Bay Packers told me that it helps recovery

LiFtInIsFuN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiFtInIsFuN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiFtInIsFuN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiFtInIsFuN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiFtInIsFuN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiFtInIsFuN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiFtInIsFuN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiFtInIsFuN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiFtInIsFuN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiFtInIsFuN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiFtInIsFuN has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    that actually makes sense... cuz listen...... when u workout ur body gets hot and if u go inside cold water then the force of the cold water would be greater then the force of the heat in ur body and all the acid would get relived cuz the tension and buildup wouldnt be so great...... for ex. if u took ice out of a freezer and put it outside and it was say 80 degrees or more it would melt real fast because the heat is a greater force then the cold force of the ice, so the ice will melt and wont make the heat turn into cold (this ex sucks but i hope u get a lil idea)
    Last edited by LiFtInIsFuN; 03-03-2002 at 07:40 PM.
    fukkkkk being small, i rather be bigger then them all!!!

Get ILL with IT!!!!!

*Chi Chi Bump MaN*

Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    But wouldnt that make it hard for anything to get into your muscles to help repair them? Or am i WAY off, i always sucked at biology, actually i was really good, hahah, but i just dont get how this helps. Im not saying it doesnt though, so no flaming please, haha. I just dont understand.
    the jakes on you.

Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000) Tony is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't understand either, but I have been hearing some things about it, and wanted to know more about it. Anybody know anything about this!?!?!?!?!?!?!

BigAssDeltoids has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah i saw some **** on the discovery channel about how marathon athletes soak their legs in ice bathes to prevent lactic acid...i dont know about you, but i'd rather take the lactic acid than the ice bath

snozzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    as far as i know it makes your blood rush and takes away the bad stuff. Try it in the shower turn on the cold water for a sec and see how it feels you will understand a little better then.
    i am that damn good - HHH

mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don't know about that but I do know when you're cold you're stronger.. there was a test on tv where they had athletes sit in a freezer that was about 0 degrees celsius and when they came out and lifted they could lift heavier

RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Reason putting cold water/ice packs on your body is because a)slows down enzymes so if you did injure yourself it will slow down the enzymes reacting to the injury which will lessen scar tissue build-up and inflamation b) Since it is cold it makes that bodypart cold and blood is then rushed to that area to warm it up, when this is done nutrients are also carried in the blood to that point, and it clears away the lactic acid a bit faster.
    Whenever anything bothers me even a little bit during a workout I ice it immediately after workout, good way to prevent something small from becoming big. Also I don't know about the ice bathes, but I like to go into the hot tub relax and stretch out and then jump into the pool. The pool is not very cold but since your body was used to the hot tub it seems cold and gets blood really pumping. Ice is extremely powerful when dealing with injuries, it's been a huge help in healing my hand. Going from hot to cold is a great way to speed up healing process, always begin with hot and end with cold. As for being able to lift more when cold, even if this is true it is a bad idea to lift cold as your chances of injury will sky-rocket. Plus personally I do not believe that, muscles work better and lift more once they are warmed up. If they are exposed to cold they tense up and become more tough and hard and less flexible (bad explaination but I think you get the point, its like taffy, when its room temperature it stretches and has freedom of movement, if it is cold you can barely move it as it gets colder movement is restricted.

Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Geeza has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Why not go in the sauna and have a cold shower after that way you sweat everything out and then wash it off, but the cold water also adds to the effect
    " You say you gave it your all??? but did you did you really??? Now go out there and sweat Blood "

BBJ the daddy!
    the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the guy that can't run fast.

Awais is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Awais is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Awais is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Awais is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Awais is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Awais is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Awais is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Awais is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Awais is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Awais is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Awais is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    putting one dirty pair of socks in ur postworkout shake would give u huge gains .....

Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Juggernaut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Awais
    putting one dirty pair of socks in ur postworkout shake would give u huge gains .....
    Can i mix creatine with my socks? j/k
    the jakes on you.

Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gohan321 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by LiFtInIsFuN
    that actually makes sense... cuz listen...... when u workout ur body gets hot and if u go inside cold water then the force of the cold water would be greater then the force of the heat in ur body and all the acid would get relived cuz the tension and buildup wouldnt be so great...... for ex. if u took ice out of a freezer and put it outside and it was say 80 degrees or more it would melt real fast because the heat is a greater force then the cold force of the ice, so the ice will melt and wont make the heat turn into cold (this ex sucks but i hope u get a lil idea)
    No, that makes absolutely no scientific sense. I doubt making one's muscles cold helps remove lactic acid. If you have a lactic acid problem, do more cardio, and that'll improve your situation. Besides, putting muscles that are full of blood in ice water is bad because the temperature change shocks them and makes them stiff. You only do that when you have a bad injury to reduce swelling. Heat loosens muscles and makes them ready for activity.
    The will to survive is stronger than anything else.

ex_banana-eater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i thought lactic acid just makes you soarr. i didnt know it hinders your gains, does it?

RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Gohan321

No, that makes absolutely no scientific sense. I doubt making one's muscles cold helps remove lactic acid. If you have a lactic acid problem, do more cardio, and that'll improve your situation. Besides, putting muscles that are full of blood in ice water is bad because the temperature change shocks them and makes them stiff. You only do that when you have a bad injury to reduce swelling. Heat loosens muscles and makes them ready for activity.
    Actually it is a fact that it helps clear lactic acid faster than normal because of increase blood flow to the area. Ice has many more uses, as I described above, than just reducing swelling. Although ice makes muscles stiff as long as you aren't going to use them in the next hour or so they will loosen up by then. Also I agree that the example about the cold having more force is wrong. Ice works in the way I have described above.

Lactic acid doesn't directly inhibit gains, but if come leg day you still got lactic acid in your legs that hasn't been cleared you are not going to perform nearly as well as you would if it were clear. Just because you are sore doesn't neccessarily mean the muscles aren't recovered, it could just mean the lactic acid hasn't been cleared yet. Ice and movement with little to no resistance can also help clear lactic acid (i.e. the day after a really killer chest day do some bench with just the bar to get blood flowing to your chest, which will in turn clear lactic acid).

Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dravyck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    lactic acid is a sign of muscle breakdown. My way of getting unsore is to eat.