ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICONOFSIN has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Why does the millitary put emphasis on Sit Ups?

It is often quoted that sit ups do more harm than good (They put a lot of strain on your back) and there are better ways to build up core strength / endurance.

Then why do armies across the world put so much emphasis on sit ups? Is it because it requires zero equipment or that its easier to learn? (Many other core workouts do exist which do not need any equipment either)

I personally do like old school bodybuilding where situps are very popular (Sometimes as much as 100 reps a day 5 days a week) to build core endurance.
    Live life like a pair of walking legs. The foot forward has no pride and the foot behind has no shame, because both know their situation will change.

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ICONOFSIN View Post
    Then why do armies across the world put so much emphasis on sit ups? Is it because it requires zero equipment or that its easier to learn?

You've answered your question.

Also, despite the fact that, yes, situps can put unnecessary strain on your lumbar, the reality is that situps are simply not something which cause injury (relatively) - especially anything of a sudden nature. No army needs grunts out of action because they slipped their disk or tore their pec. I'm not a huge fan of situps myself but anecdotally they don't have a high injury rate and if they did then armies would not involve them.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by ICONOFSIN View Post
    It is often quoted that sit ups do more harm than good (They put a lot of strain on your back) and there are better ways to build up core strength / endurance.

Then why do armies across the world put so much emphasis on sit ups? Is it because it requires zero equipment or that its easier to learn? (Many other core workouts do exist which do not need any equipment either)

I personally do like old school bodybuilding where situps are very popular (Sometimes as much as 100 reps a day 5 days a week) to build core endurance.
    Archaic Beliefs

In the area of exercise and testing, the military is decades behind.

They are playing catch up now by hiring...

Exercise Physiologist

All branches of the military service are now hiring civilian contractors with degrees in Exercise Physiology to implement training program to turn things around.

However, like many old institutions, the military has been indoctrinated with archaic training methods and ideas that they (for some unknown reason) maintain and are not letting go up.

A prime example of the continued ignorance is their method of

Army Body Fat Calculator
    http://www.calculator.net/army-body-fat-calculator.html

There NO validity to this method, yet it their Gold Standard method.

Military Ignorance

As someone once said, "Military Intelligence" is an "Oxymoron".

In this area "Military" = Dumb. "Intelligence" = Smart. Thus, they cancel each other out.

Other examples of an "Oxymoron" are "Sweet and Sour Pork" and "Free Sex".

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by kennycroxdale; 01-18-2017 at 04:35 AM.
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Kenny hit the nail on the head for the most part.

I'll add that it's also has another reason, the same reason martial arts gradings tend to make people do push ups till they fall on their face.
    It tests commitment and willingness to push through mental blocks.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    Kenny hit the nail on the head for the most part.

I'll add that it's also has another reason, the same reason martial arts gradings tend to make people do push ups till they fall on their face.
    It tests commitment and willingness to push through mental blocks.
    Good Point

The Cross Fit Cult shares the same mentality.

Unfortunately, this type of testing of mental toughness is sub par.

A More Effective Method

Separating the girls form the boys require more aggressive testing method such as the...

Deadlift For Repetition

1) Lifter perform Deadlifts until they cannot get the bar up.

2) Each time a lifter lock out the weight, someone punches him/her in the face.

3) Each lifter is required to keep Deadlifting until they pass out.

Other more aggressive testing method could be employed for those who completed the "Deadlift For Repetition" contest.

Kenny Croxdale
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.