snatchpony has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stronger hamstrings?

First of all, I have to apologize for this, but when I did a search with the word īhamstringsī, it showed threads from years 2001 or 2003. So I wanted some new information on this question. How do I get more strength in my hammies?

I watched this video about romanian deadlifts and hamstings with Alan Thrall (awesome guy, I canīt put a direct link beacuse of my post count), related with my crappy deadlift form. In my deads, I noticed that my low back arches every time and it looks horrible. And dangerous. So after watching this video I realized that I have always neglected my hamstrings strength wise. My hamstrings are really, really weak and probably tight too.

So, my fellow trainees? Do you have any tips or exercises that would boost my hamstring strength?

PS. Pardon for my grammar, not my native language.
    Non professional powerlifter with a passion for strength!

All time bests
    Squat 180kg (396lbs)
    Dead 200kg (440lbs)
    Bench 130kg (286lbs)
    OHP 80kg (176lbs)

IG: 5undqvi5t

RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by snatchpony View Post
    First of all, I have to apologize for this, but when I did a search with the word īhamstringsī, it showed threads from years 2001 or 2003. So I wanted some new information on this question. How do I get more strength in my hammies?

I watched this video about romanian deadlifts and hamstings with Alan Thrall (awesome guy, I canīt put a direct link beacuse of my post count), related with my crappy deadlift form. In my deads, I noticed that my low back arches every time and it looks horrible. And dangerous. So after watching this video I realized that I have always neglected my hamstrings strength wise. My hamstrings are really, really weak and probably tight too.

So, my fellow trainees? Do you have any tips or exercises that would boost my hamstring strength?

PS. Pardon for my grammar, not my native language.
    alan thrall is awesome so you have a good source right there

sounds like inactive glutes along with poor hip mobility - potentially tight hammies too....

Alan actually has baaaaaaare mobility vids on his channel - look into hip flexor tightness, firing up your glutes before exercise, maybe loosening thoracic spine (helps alleviate stress on lower back), and then maybe some hammie stuff at the end.... but i dont think hammie mobility will be too much of a problem
    comp best - 358/237/375 (162.5/107.5/170) - BDFPA 75kg (165lb) class
    gym best - 398/265/440 (180/120/200) - @ 78kg

*Powerlifting crew*
    *IIFYM crew*
    *UK crew*
    *skinny jeans + longline tees crew*
    *Libertarian crew*

Instagram - @doughnuts_n_depth

Thanks, I must dig deeper in his videos. I have started to pay more attention to my mobility more and after I watched Tom Purvis video about your anatomical measurements, specially tibia, torso and femur length. I transferred that knowledge to my squats and they feel a lot better. I have worked out a long time already but there are many things I have overlooked in the past, and now is the time to address these things.

That I do know for a fact is that my hammies are weak, and tight. Doing RDLīs I canīt really go as low as suggested in many videos. But I think that with what you wrote me, thatīll help a ton.

PS. I am going to follow you in IG

All time bests
    Squat 180kg (396lbs)
    Dead 200kg (440lbs)
    Bench 130kg (286lbs)
    OHP 80kg (176lbs)

RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000) RmBoyos is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks, I must dig deeper in his videos. I have started to pay more attention to my mobility more and after I watched Tom Purvis video about your anatomical measurements, specially tibia, torso and femur length. I transferred that knowledge to my squats and they feel a lot better. I have worked out a long time already but there are many things I have overlooked in the past, and now is the time to address these things.

That I do know for a fact is that my hammies are weak, and tight. Doing RDLīs I canīt really go as low as suggested in many videos. But I think that with what you wrote me, thatīll help a ton.

PS. I am going to follow you in IG
    sweet brah - yeah more often than not its hip tightness and glutes not firing right - get those 2 sorted and then if its still not right - then look at other bits ie thoracic and hammies.....

*Powerlifting crew*
    *IIFYM crew*
    *UK crew*
    *Libertarian crew*

sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    if you have access to it, get on a glute ham raise asap, that machine alone has brought my hamstrings up to speed like no other movement. using a wider squat stance as an assistance movement also will work, and also sumo deadlifts. I do a lot of belt squat marching too but sumo DL, wide stance squats, and GHR will all bring your hamstrings to where you want them to be

NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    RDLs
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthStrongSC

Main Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155303583

After seeing a hard workout you may want to complain and want others to pity you for the work you have to do. Your mom will pity you. Your girl will pity you. I may pity you, but your competition will not pity you. They will step on you, walk over you and spit on you. ïŋ― Boris Sheiko

_Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Count me in that club of "never really gave my hammies any attention" and I pay for it now with the inability to lock out a heavy pull and/or seeing my hips shoot up right from the start on a PR attempt. Since then, I've been doing stiff leg deads and weighted 45d back extensions and so far, based on my recent attempts, its working.
    Best Meet Lifts:
    SQ: 460 (sleeves)
    BP: 350
    DL: 510
    Total: 1300 (242 wrapped)

"I refuse to tip-toe through life, only to arrive safely at death"

www.animalpak.com

Originally Posted by sperez21 View Post
    if you have access to it, get on a glute ham raise asap, that machine alone has brought my hamstrings up to speed like no other movement. using a wider squat stance as an assistance movement also will work, and also sumo deadlifts. I do a lot of belt squat marching too but sumo DL, wide stance squats, and GHR will all bring your hamstrings to where you want them to be
    Damn, we donīt have a GHR at our gym which is otherwise quite well equipped. I have tried it at another gym and couldnīt quite get it right. I might give it another go with a barbell that weighs more than me and it is secured next a wall. Feet under the bar, mattress under your knees and boom, that could work?

I actually did my PR squat with a wide stance, and at the same time I deadlifted with sumo too, but thats years ago. The little bodybuilder in me wants the squat to be quad dominant. And as an point there, I do wide stance, heel pressing leg presses which targets the hammies well, so a wide stance form has a point in it. Thanks for the reply!

Originally Posted by _Aggression_ View Post
    Count me in that club of "never really gave my hammies any attention" and I pay for it now with the inability to lock out a heavy pull and/or seeing my hips shoot up right from the start on a PR attempt. Since then, I've been doing stiff leg deads and weighted 45d back extensions and so far, based on my recent attempts, its working.
    Yeah, man. Thatīs exactly my thing right now. But for me, crappy hammie strength leads directly to the inability to even get the bar from the floor without my ass tucking under. And most likely when my weights get bigger, I get the same problem as you.

All time bests
    Squat 180kg (396lbs)
    Dead 200kg (440lbs)
    Bench 130kg (286lbs)
    OHP 80kg (176lbs)

sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    OP: Research the Nordic Hamstring Curl, a great alternative for the GHR and you don't need much equipment at all

Yeah, just did and I know this guy, Brett Contreras wrote about it in his article on brettcontreras.com. I noticed that I have tried this once before, and after a few workouts of trying I managed to get 1 rep, FRIGGIN1 REP. Then I stopped.

I have to get back to it.

All time bests
    Squat 180kg (396lbs)
    Dead 200kg (440lbs)
    Bench 130kg (286lbs)
    OHP 80kg (176lbs)

Yeah, just did and I know this guy, Brett Contreras wrote about it in his article on brettcontreras.com. I noticed that I have tried this once before, and after a few workouts of trying I managed to get 1 rep, FRIGGIN1 REP. Then I stopped.

I have to get back to it.
    bret contreras is GOAT srs -

*Powerlifting crew*
    *IIFYM crew*
    *UK crew*
    *Libertarian crew*

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RmBoyos View Post
    bret contreras is GOAT srs -
    Yes, yes he is

All time bests
    Squat 180kg (396lbs)
    Dead 200kg (440lbs)
    Bench 130kg (286lbs)
    OHP 80kg (176lbs)

_Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just looked those Nordic curls up. I'll have to stake out a spot in my gym and give these a shot next week.
    Best Meet Lifts:
    SQ: 460 (sleeves)
    BP: 350
    DL: 510
    Total: 1300 (242 wrapped)

"I refuse to tip-toe through life, only to arrive safely at death"

www.animalpak.com

Originally Posted by _Aggression_ View Post
    Just looked those Nordic curls up. I'll have to stake out a spot in my gym and give these a shot next week.
    Me too, I canīt wait to see what happens when I start paying more attention on my hammies. I bet itīs going to have a huge impact.

All time bests
    Squat 180kg (396lbs)
    Dead 200kg (440lbs)
    Bench 130kg (286lbs)
    OHP 80kg (176lbs)