Leaping769 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question The best explosiveness measurement? Vertical jump vs Broad jump

Hey guys, what do you think is the best test to measure your explosiveness, Vert jump , running Vert jump, or Broad jump? or even triple jump ? lol
    and why do you choose that

Cybergenics...it's bomb! lucia316's Avatar
    lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Define "explosiveness."

What are you trying to accomplish?
    "I'm pretty sure your wrong, but care to elaborate..."

Retired account

TheFugitive, Manwittaplan, and ILPump are all the same guy...socktastic

xostel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You don't have to pick one though. I mean they should be pretty correlated or something is not going right in your training.

Leaping769 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Leg power output

xostel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Also, the definition of explosiveness is maximum power output with minimum resistance I believe. That is why the vertical or broad jump is considered a great measure of explosive power.
    I am pretty sure the triple jump is not used because there is just too much technique involved compared to the vertical. Like the way a power clean is a better measuring stick between athletes than a clean and jerk because the clean and jerk depends so much more on good technique.
    Even for yourself I would think single leg box jumps would be a better measuring stick than the triple jump unless you want to be a triple jumper.

KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Leaping769 View Post
    Leg power output
    For what?
    Tnation Articles:
    https://www.t-nation.com/all-articles/authors/james-de-lacey

STACK Articles:
    http://www.stack.com/expert/james-de-lacey

dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is impossible to answer but if I had to, the standing vertical jump.

From the choices you listed, triple jumping and running vertical jumps rely a lot on reactive strength which is a different quality than explosive strength.

Why standing vert over broad jump? Broad jump results can be skewed by technique. Good broad jumpers are not only explosive, but they know how to prolong their hang time by bringing the feet up and "reaching forward" for more distance, similar to triple jumpers and long jumpers.

You can't really "reach higher" with technique in a standing vertical jump. You either jump that high or you don't. It's also a fairly simple movement for most people compared to other movements, so movement/neural efficiency is less of an issue compared to other movements.
    My Vertical Jumping Progress - https://youtu.be/JhW-mJOp0Ro

My Training Journal - http://www.dkathleticperformance.com/training-journal

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Horizontal jump (broad jump). Yes there is some technique but very easy to learn. The D1 and D2 coaches I've talked to about this prefer the horizontal jump because it negates some of the negative effects of weight (BMI). In other words it's better for the fat bastards on the line. Another good measure that's generally part of a plyometric program is the triple broad jump. So, three broad jumps in a row for total distance.

dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sowilson View Post
    Horizontal jump (broad jump). Yes there is some technique but very easy to learn. The D1 and D2 coaches I've talked to about this prefer the horizontal jump because it negates some of the negative effects of weight (BMI). In other words it's better for the fat bastards on the line. Another good measure that's generally part of a plyometric program is the triple broad jump. So, three broad jumps in a row for total distance.
    Easier to learn than to just jump and measure the vertical height? Most people do not know how to reach or max distance. You think you know, but you'd be surprised at how much more distance the elite track people can get.

Also, a vertical jump is triple extension, displaying ankle/knee/and hip explosiveness. Broad jumps are mainly hips and ankles. Therefore, a "measurement" of overall explosiveness is better dictated by the vertical jump.

Plyometrics and explosiveness are not one in the same. A triple broad jump you're speaking of, which is basically double leg bounding, is a REACTIVE exercise. reactive strength and explosive strength are not the same thing.

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    Having spoken to several NFL strength coaches (not that that makes them all knowing) most prefer the broad jump versus vertical as a better measurement of LB explosiveness. Of course technique and anthropomorphics will play a role in both.
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

Originally Posted by Jhawk Fitness View Post
    Having spoken to several NFL strength coaches (not that that makes them all knowing) most prefer the broad jump versus vertical as a better measurement of LB explosiveness. Of course technique and anthropomorphics will play a role in both.
    Even if most NFL coaches do say that, you have to realize they are biased towards FOOTBALL which primarily takes place on the horizontal force vector. Therefore a HORIZONTAL explosive movement like a broad jump correlates strongly with FOOTBALL success.

The OP was asking for general lower body explosive measurement and due to accuracy (no technique required to skew results) and a more balanced group of muscles (includes the quads unlike the broad jump), the vertical jump is the better "general explosive measurement tool"

Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dkathleticperf View Post
    Even if most NFL coaches do say that, you have to realize they are biased towards FOOTBALL which primarily takes place on the horizontal force vector. Therefore a HORIZONTAL explosive movement like a broad jump correlates strongly with FOOTBALL success.

The OP was asking for general lower body explosive measurement and due to accuracy (no technique required to skew results) and a more balanced group of muscles (includes the quads unlike the broad jump), the vertical jump is the better "general explosive measurement tool"
    It can also depend on how you're measuring VJ and it's very easy to cheat the VJ when you're reliant on a reach measurement. With that said, VJ is also highly influenced by the length of the achilles tendon, so like I said, anthropomorphics will play a role in both jumps.
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Originally Posted by Jhawk Fitness View Post
    It can also depend on how you're measuring VJ and it's very easy to cheat the VJ when you're reliant on a reach measurement. With that said, VJ is also highly influenced by the length of the achilles tendon, so like I said, anthropomorphics will play a role in both jumps.
    lol the old myth of "long achilles tendon" = more explosive has been proven wrong. Even if true, it would also benefit the broad jump so why would it matter? Do the achilles not stretch and contract in a broad jump as well? If long achilles supposedly helps explosiveness then why should it not count as a measurement towards explosiveness. Either way the role of the ankles/achilles is VERY small in a STANDING VERTICAL JUMP anyways. The ankles primarily contribute during reactive movements (running jumps/sprints). That is how tendons work.

The reach measurement is the most accurate way to measure the vert so please elaborate on how easy it is to cheat. Any competent coach can properly measure an athletes reach and vertical with accuracy. If you were referring to using a jump mat to measure the vertical I would agree with you as you can easily cheat that method. Sorry but you're basically making faults for the vertical when you can't negate the same faults (to a higher degree) in the broad jump. If hip power is all you're looking for then sure broad jump might win. Overall explosiveness? You can't argue against the standing vertical which has hip power in it, but a ton of knee power as well, while being less technique dependent
    Last edited by dkathleticperf; 01-11-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Originally Posted by dkathleticperf View Post
    lol the old myth of "long achilles tendon" = more explosive has been proven wrong. Even if true, it would also benefit the broad jump so why would it matter? Do the achilles not stretch and contract in a broad jump as well? If long achilles supposedly helps explosiveness then why should it not count as a measurement towards explosiveness. Either way the role of the ankles/achilles is VERY small in a STANDING VERTICAL JUMP anyways. The ankles primarily contribute during reactive movements (running jumps/sprints). That is how tendons work.

The reach measurement is the most accurate way to measure the vert so please elaborate on how easy it is to cheat. Any competent coach can properly measure an athletes reach and vertical with accuracy. If you were referring to using a jump mat to measure the vertical I would agree with you as you can easily cheat that method. Sorry but you're basically making faults for the vertical when you can't negate the same faults (to a higher degree) in the broad jump. If hip power is all you're looking for then sure broad jump might win. Overall explosiveness? You can't argue against the standing vertical which has hip power in it, but a ton of knee power as well, while being less technique dependent
    Couple of things in order of occurrence in your post;
    Please provide a link to read up on the Achilles tendon length not factoring into jump ability, I was recently down at Altis and coaches there were discussing it.
    Do you have your athletes jump flat-footed when testing?
    When being prepped for the combine athletes are taught to structurally minimize overhead reach, it's easy to influence. I've seen it in person at both the NFL and NBA Combines as well as the various Pro Days I've attended.
    How do you cheat a Jump Mat? According to this study the Just Jump system was more accurate than the Vertec; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18076265
    I'm not doing anything other than relaying my experiences, I haven't stated which exercise I personally thought was best. You can make arguments for either, I don't have a dog in this fight.
    Nike SPARQ Trainer