Tmgreen60 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Programming help

Stats: 6' 5" 295~ Age: 30
    Current Bench: 415
    Current Deadlift: 655
    Current Squat: 495 w/ wraps

Programs run:
    Wendler 5/3/1
    Juggernaut
    ADUP: Rotating between Strength/hypertrophy/variation 3 main lifts 3x week with 1 bodybuilding day
    Candito for deadlift and squat, did not feel it had the volume for bench so I did three days(Hypertrophy, strength, OH press)
    Westside (limited due to gym, equipment, training partners)

ADUP probably worked the best but after 7 weeks I started to have significant joint pain and hip flexor pain. I feel like i benefit mostly from frequency but pay for it during the later weeks in a program

Background: Highschool + college football. Just started getting into powerlifting 2.5 years ago. Never competed.

Problem: Intense work schedule(limited sleep, time, and hard to maintain a strict diet). I am lucky to make it to the gym 4 days a week and time is an issue so i feel programs like sheiko are not an option.

Not looking for any miracles. If my maxes go up 10lbs over a couple of months that is improvement and I am fine with that. Just looking for suggestions on any other programs I am not aware of that are worth trying. I would like to try competing sometime next year.

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If the ADUP worked the best for you, then just adjust that to resolve the issues you have. You can train 4x a week doing each lift just 2x a week. Then just cut out some volume and use that extra time to make sure you are loosening up those areas that tend to get pain.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000) scotpak1979 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think you are at the point in your lifting career where u probably have to do your own programming given the level of your lifts.

Focus on using enough intensity + volume whilst also allowing adequate time for full recovery.

Im in the same boat with you with respect of work/ time contraints.

This is what I have done for my respective lifts. For me I have a slightly different style dependent on lift.

I do an upper body/ lower body split and train every 2nd day (1 day on 1 day off, sometimes 1 day on 2 day off)

For bench I do everything paused and do 4 sets of triples. I do this twice every 5 days. My accessories on bench days are dumbbell rows (to break up benching ) and I alternate between 3 sec paused bench and OHP (high reps).

For squats Ive sticked to the Candito 6 week programming because it has worked amazing for me increasing my squat by 5kg every cycle for over a year now.

Deadlift has stalled for ages so ive gone from doing the candito style (heavy sq + DL) split to giving DL its own day and doing a mixture of 4s, doubles and a final high rep set (modified version of Magnusson/ Ortmeyer program).

I dont usually get enough time for too many variations on squat and DL days so try and make sure im getting enough volume on the competition lifts.

I have also learned to sometimes wait an extra day before going back into the gym. This allows more recovery/ growth, allows you to come in more fresher and more enthusiastic.

Im 37 now and work 7am to 6pm and sometimes weekends and have small kids so this style has worked for me given my time constraints.

Anyways, the main point im trying to get across is to not rely on a SINGLE program for everything. Create your own programming based on the particular lift, your sticking points, time constraints and recovery requirement.

Good luck.
    Last edited by scotpak1979; 12-26-2016 at 06:34 AM.
    Meet PR: 230/ 135/ 262.5 [627.5] (in kgs)
    506/ 297/ 578 [1,381] (in lbs)

Weight: 92kg (202lbs)

Thanks a bunch guys, very helpful

sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sperez21 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Pretty much what everyone else said, given your stats and experience you can definitely take aspects of each program you've ran that worked for you and make your own programs and overall train of thought for lifting. You will do well competing, good luck!

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Tmgreen60 View Post
    Stats: 6' 5" 295~ Age: 30
    Current Bench: 415
    Current Deadlift: 655
    Current Squat: 495 w/ wraps

Programs run:
    Wendler 5/3/1
    Juggernaut
    ADUP: Rotating between Strength/hypertrophy/variation 3 main lifts 3x week with 1 bodybuilding day
    Candito for deadlift and squat, did not feel it had the volume for bench so I did three days(Hypertrophy, strength, OH press)
    Westside (limited due to gym, equipment, training partners)

ADUP probably worked the best but after 7 weeks I started to have significant joint pain and hip flexor pain. I feel like i benefit mostly from frequency but pay for it during the later weeks in a program

Background: Highschool + college football. Just started getting into powerlifting 2.5 years ago. Never competed.

Problem: Intense work schedule(limited sleep, time, and hard to maintain a strict diet). I am lucky to make it to the gym 4 days a week and time is an issue so i feel programs like sheiko are not an option.

Not looking for any miracles. If my maxes go up 10lbs over a couple of months that is improvement and I am fine with that. Just looking for suggestions on any other programs I am not aware of that are worth trying. I would like to try competing sometime next year.
    I would suggest a DUP program with less volume to allow better recovery in your situation. Good luck on the competition i have competed 2 times in the usapl at 205 pounds bodyweight and have deadlifted 508,squatted 375 and benched 242 only 20 years old so I'm young in the game. You will do great man good luck!

Thanks everyone for the info and the support. Will try a new ADUP with less volume and more rest. Will see how it goes

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just as another option, the Texas Method but going for 3RM instead of 5RM would be my recommendation. Volume Day will be a long day, but Recovery Day is often quick and Intensity Day usually doesn't take too long. If you're really swamped that week, you could even skip Recovery Day. Keep bench as your main lift, just press heavy on Recovery Days.

Never tried Texas method. I might try that after an additional run at DUP. Thanks for the input grouchy

Here is what I'm thinking :
    DUP
    1.)Strength 6x3 85%
    2.)Hypertrophy 4x8 70%
    3.)Variation
    Bench(OH press, CG bench, WG bench, floor press)
    Squat(High bar, paused squats, box squats
    DL(Straight leg, Block pulls, deficits, RDLs)

Have not picked which variation to choose, going to analyze my weaknesses.
    I could do power/speed instead but honestly doing the same lift three times a week can get a little boring. Wouldn't mind a little switch

Increase 5lbs a week for 5 weeks and either deload or max on week 6.

I have not thought about the variation rep scheme yet either.

3 days a week, squat, bench, deadlift
    Possible one assistance / mobility day.

Bump, just looking for feedback on new plan