Thread: High Jump Help!

Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

High Jump Help!

So this year I am learning the High Jump and so far I've been progressing really well. The only problem is that on the second half of the jump my hips dip below my head and I end up in a sitting position. I am not trying very high heights because I want to have perfect form first. My coach has me drive my knee up and throw both my arms to help me with my rotation over the bar and I try to remember to look back for my arch but is there anything else I can do? Do I need to also try and keep my hips high consciously or does that come with throwing my head back? Any tips are appreciated!

Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Moose334 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bump

DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Moose334 View Post
    So this year I am learning the High Jump and so far I've been progressing really well. The only problem is that on the second half of the jump my hips dip below my head and I end up in a sitting position. I am not trying very high heights because I want to have perfect form first. My coach has me drive my knee up and throw both my arms to help me with my rotation over the bar and I try to remember to look back for my arch but is there anything else I can do? Do I need to also try and keep my hips high consciously or does that come with throwing my head back? Any tips are appreciated!
    bump

DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100) DanielSickCunt is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Moose334 View Post
    afa

dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50) dkathleticperf will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One thing you need to realize is in athletic movements, and especially one as high speed as a high jump, it is pointless to try and consciously change your form. Your form is more of a "representation" of your body's function and strengths. Therefore if you have 'poor form', you need to address it with whatever drills you need to do that's causing the weakness (plyo's or weights), instead of trying to consciously alter your form during your jumps. Consciously thinking about that in a high speed jump will always result in a crappy and low jump.

It sounds like you're taking long to load/absorb force in the plant. Your ground contact time is long. You just simply need to continue training properly and addressing this issue. I haven't seen you jump but it can be weak ankles, quads, or hamstrings. It is rarely the hips that are the weak link. If you're high jumping, I assume you're doing plenty of bounding drills? If you progress in single leg bounds over time, this will carryover to your high jump better than anything you will do, as well as being the most specific exercise to fix your current problem.

Traditional single leg bounds and primetimes.
    My Vertical Jumping Progress - https://youtu.be/JhW-mJOp0Ro

My Training Journal - http://www.dkathleticperformance.com/training-journal