AxelRoldos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Whey vs Creatine vs Casein - I'm still confused.

So, I feel there is so much information out there on this subject, but i'm still confused. Mostly because I find that some of the stuff i've found is conflicting. I'm still not even really sure what each one does, much less how much of each i'm supposed to be taking. I am trying to build a new stack now and I don't know what I specifically need in it. Here's the deal: i'm a model and an actor, so getting *big* isn't something I necessarily wanna do. But i'm not 17 anymore and my agency (for print, anyway) wants me to look less like a teenager lol. If I could choose, i'd wanna look like Ryan Gosling when he was in Blade B)

Anyway, I think i've decided to try and follow the 1g of protein per lb, which means, around 165 lbs of protein a day. This sounds absurd and astronomical to me, but OK, i'll look into it. I've been using a lot of the JIM supplements for a while, his protein is ranked #3 as far as favorites on this site go. And it's a blend, so it isn't just straight up whey. So, as far as a stack goes, i'm fine with buying his whole line again, with the only difference being I up my daily intake from just 1 scoop after I workout.

Do we like that idea? Sticking to JIM's pre, post and BCAAs? LOL

EDIt: I'm going to change my diet up. Before, I was all about the calorie restriction, but it was brought to my attention that by doing that, I was effectively forcing my body to cannibalize my muscle. So, moving to a protein concentrated diet would best suit me and plus, make it easier for me to reach 165g of protein a day. Does this sound about right, or am I interpreting the bro science wrong? Thanks lol

showjo1josh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) showjo1josh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) showjo1josh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) showjo1josh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) showjo1josh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) showjo1josh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) showjo1josh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) showjo1josh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) showjo1josh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) showjo1josh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) showjo1josh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't see anything wrong with what you plan on doing. Find your macros and get a protein powder that you like to help your reach your protein intake.

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It's 1gr of protein per pound of LEAN mass, not total bodyweight.
    Whey and casein are both proteins, both found in milk and used by the body mainly for muscle synthesis.
    Whey supposedly has a higher biological value than casein and a more favorable amino acid profile for building muscle, it gets absorbed quickly and becomes more readily available to your muscles so some people consume it prior to and immediately after training.
    Casein is a very slowly absorbed protein that helps fuel the body with protein for hours so it may be a prefered source of protein during night time.
    Whether whey offers these benefits in practice too I am not convinced but there's a huge marketing effort behind it backed up by research.
    AFAIK protein is protein and the body always finds a way to turn it into muscle if you stimulate growth with exercsie.
    There was a time when everyone believed plant based proteins are inferior to animal proteins but,again science, has shown this to be a fallacy although in most people's minds still holds true.
    Creatine is found in muscle and is used to fuel muscle for high intensity short term activity.
    It is not fuel itself, ATP binds to it and creatine fuels muscles with ATP when necessary.
    Protein is broken down by the body to amino acids used to build it's own protein.
    Creatine is not broken down, it is stored in the muscles as is, drawing water in with it and increasing the size of the muscles and total bodyweight.
    It also helps pull a few extra reps in your sets so theoritically it can help you get stronger and bigger in the long run from training harder.
    When you stop supplementing with creatine the weight and volume gaining effect goes away but any muscle building gains you've manage to make while on it are yours to keep.
    Creatine is found in food,especially red meat but is not enough to saturate the muscles with it so athletes supplement it.
    You really don't need any supplements at all if you have the time and inclination to eat correctly but they can be very convenient for most people,especially family men and those with a very busy lifestyle.
    I've always taken a multivitamin though, whether I trained or not.

I think I just discovered that Creatine is generally suggested to take in relatively small doses - so the 2g that already exists in some BCAAs/Posts are just fine. I was under the impression it was similar to whey/casein in that they're designed to consumed by giant scoopfuls. So essentially, whey all the time, casein at night. Is this accurate?

Barbell Strength Solution celdridge89's Avatar
    celdridge89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celdridge89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celdridge89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celdridge89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celdridge89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celdridge89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celdridge89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celdridge89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celdridge89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celdridge89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celdridge89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Based on the questions you are still asking I would strongly advise you not to purchase any supplements until you are more informed on their purpose. There are plenty of members on this forum that would be happy to provide you with more info. I am not a supplement expert but I have taken all 3 for an extended period of time and would be willing to answer any more questions you have through PM.
    BW: 163lb

Best Meet Lifts
    Squat: 385
    Bench: 315
    Deadlift: 460

OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz OT2000 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by AxelRoldos View Post
    I think I just discovered that Creatine is generally suggested to take in relatively small doses - so the 2g that already exists in some BCAAs/Posts are just fine. I was under the impression it was similar to whey/casein in that they're designed to consumed by giant scoopfuls. So essentially, whey all the time, casein at night. Is this accurate?

Both whey and casein are just a highly processed powdered food source. That's it. They're equivalent to a chicken breast etc. Whey has a better amino acid profile in relation to bcaa content but that's a stretch to say it's going to make a difference in your physique. Use them to help you meet your protein macros, that's it. If you meet them through whole food, then a protein supp isn't of use.

Creatine should be at 5g a day, everyday from all sources. Whether it's in a pwo etc it's still 5g total. Regardless of creatine source, it's still 5g.
    Your nutrition and workout program determines your success.

FL and NC crew. Lol @ living in PA. Just LOL.

louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000) louie0939 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by OT2000 View Post
    Both whey and casein are just a highly processed powdered food source. That's it. They're equivalent to a chicken breast etc. Whey has a better amino acid profile in relation to bcaa content but that's a stretch to say it's going to make a difference in your physique. Use them to help you meet your protein macros, that's it. If you meet them through whole food, then a protein supp isn't of use.

Creatine should be at 5g a day, everyday from all sources. Whether it's in a pwo etc it's still 5g total. Regardless of creatine source, it's still 5g.
    in simple terms this.

sounds like you need to continue to research and educate yourself. altho supplementation it can be confusing at first, its really not rocket science
    MuscleTech Supporter

I think i've learned an awful lot from the simplicity of this thread alone. I am still on the fence on whether I believe I really need to consume 165g of protein a day, though. I took a bmi test at an LA Fitness and they calculated that I am 5.5% body fat. Personally, I have a really hard time believing that, but OK.

scottyb05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scottyb05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scottyb05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scottyb05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scottyb05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scottyb05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scottyb05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scottyb05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scottyb05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scottyb05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scottyb05 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think this would be a good thread for you to read through

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=161791793

llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) llahhsoj has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I think i've learned an awful lot from the simplicity of this thread alone. I am still on the fence on whether I believe I really need to consume 165g of protein a day, though. I took a bmi test at an LA Fitness and they calculated that I am 5.5% body fat. Personally, I have a really hard time believing that, but OK.
    You could get by with less than that but a lot of people like to consume 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight for muscle building. You would really be good at 130 grams a day most likely. As far as creatine goes, the recommended dosage is 5 grams. Once you become saturated at 5 grams a day for a month, you could scale it back to 3-5 grams for 4 days a week or so.

Kinda still lifts Valhallabound86's Avatar
    Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Valhallabound86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That protein intake is a guideline, not a hard number. It's good to shoot for 1g/lbs lean body mass, but you're not going be doing yourself a disservice if you cannot hit that mark daily.

And casein before bed is old bro science for 'fighting catabolism'. It's fine if you want to, but it's not necessary.