Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Working out on a sprained ankle

Any decent programs for working out on a sprained ankle? I guess, mostly a bit of upper body with light cardio, maybe a bike would be better?

If you want to know about the actual sprain, check out this thread.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1685981

I don't think it's necessary to read that thread to answer, but it may help.

Right now, very minimal swelling, no bruising, little soreness, so, that's good, I think.

It's been 4 days...I was thinking tomorrow I could do treadmill at 1-2 mph or so, or maybe bike a bit. Maybe a few chin ups, dips or something?

Any advice is helpful, thank you
    If life gives you AIDS, make lemonAIDS

ISSA Certified CFT

Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    bump

ISSA Certified CFT

TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Can you squat? I say that cause I sprained my ankle my senior year in high school, but it for some reason still didn't hurt to squat.

Just do upper body stuff. Pull ups, curls, bench press, rows, triceps, shoulder raises, military press, are all good things to add to your list.
    Your weakness, whatever it may be, is all in your mind. So is your strength.

"Only in America can you get famous just by changing from being a big fat ass to not being a big fat ass."

-Stan from South Park, on Jared Fogle

Originally Posted by TRDE59 View Post
    Can you squat? I say that cause I sprained my ankle my senior year in high school, but it for some reason still didn't hurt to squat.

Just do upper body stuff. Pull ups, curls, bench press, rows, triceps, shoulder raises, military press, are all good things to add to your list.
    I don't know whether I can squat or not, either way, I won't try that right now. I don't think I'd do a military press right now, either, as it could "possibly" bother my ankle. I'd rather not do any weighted exercises while standing.

Pullups, maybe...any word on them? Bench, etc. maybe. The thing is is that I am taking a week off(scheduled week off from weight lifting periodization) anyway. I was wondering, mainly cardio, and the next few weeks, what I could do to prevent injury.

ISSA Certified CFT

TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Richie_Awesome View Post
    I don't know whether I can squat or not, either way, I won't try that right now. I don't think I'd do a military press right now, either, as it could "possibly" bother my ankle. I'd rather not do any weighted exercises while standing.

Pullups, maybe...any word on them? Bench, etc. maybe. The thing is is that I am taking a week off(scheduled week off from weight lifting periodization) anyway. I was wondering, mainly cardio, and the next few weeks, what I could do to prevent injury.
    well, do what you would normally do on a deload week, as long as it doesn't hurt your ankle (i.e. probably use the bike instead of the treadmill.)

Also, you can do seated military presses. If you can find a chair with a back, you can use dumbbells if there's not a chair designed for use with a barbell.
    Your weakness, whatever it may be, is all in your mind. So is your strength.

"Only in America can you get famous just by changing from being a big fat ass to not being a big fat ass."

-Stan from South Park, on Jared Fogle

burton158c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It seems your sprain is very mild. If you have very minimal swelling, no bruising, and little soreness I think you can resume normal workouts. However, I would wrap your ankle or wear a brace for support until it is completely healed. I sprained my ankle twice in the last year pretty bad playing basketball. The first sprain was very swollen and bruised (my ankle and foot were huge and purple. The outer bone on my ankle just about hit the floor with the bottom of my foot still planted on the ground. The ankle engorged in my shoe immediately and I must have popped several blood vessels). After about 5 days of R.I.C.E. I was back to squatting and dead lifting with no problem. I did have my ankle wrapped with an ace bandage and I did not have any pain or discomfort while doing doing squats and cardio on a bike or elliptical. This is with my ankle still swollen and bruised. Also, going back to my normal workouts (pre-sprain) that included squats and leg exercises did not affect my ankle healing. I experienced no discomfort or pain while performing the exercises. I definitely would not do any type of running yet. After about 2 weeks you should be fine to try jogging and if no discomfort is present running or intense sports shouldn't cause any harm. I do recommend wearing a brace for awhile until the ankle is back to full strength and healed.

Of course everyone is different and I'm not a doctor, but I was fine to resume working out and my sprain was more serious than yours with my ankle looking disgustingly swollen and badly bruised. It was also quite tender for a while. After about 6 weeks I was back to playing sports and running. I had no pain and my ankle felt as strong as pre-sprain.

The most current sprain (about 2 weeks ago) occurred after coming down from a shot and landing on someones foot. I was bound to roll my ankle. I followed R.I.C.E. for a couple days and have been wearing a brace since. Elevate your ankle every night while sleeping with a pillow (until the swelling is gone completely) and wrap it lightly to keep yourself from twisting it while sleeping. I will be playing volleyball and basketball tomorrow while wearing my brace.

Just my $.02 on the matter. Hope it helps.
    go big or go home

2 victor goes spoils THe WeapoN's Avatar
    THe WeapoN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THe WeapoN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THe WeapoN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THe WeapoN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THe WeapoN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THe WeapoN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THe WeapoN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THe WeapoN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THe WeapoN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THe WeapoN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THe WeapoN is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i would rest it for little while longer, and just focus on upper body, i have had to many sprained ankles and broken ones and i no that its bestto rest it till its healed completely then one day not concentrating properly and u make the old injury worest off
    we aim for one thing, to be perfect, yet we will never be.

Quick question, would it be better to walk at a slow pace or do a bike exercise at a slow-moderate pace? Or, neither at all? Pain is pretty much gone now.

ISSA Certified CFT

Originally Posted by Richie_Awesome View Post
    Quick question, would it be better to walk at a slow pace or do a bike exercise at a slow-moderate pace? Or, neither at all? Pain is pretty much gone now.
    bump

ISSA Certified CFT