Shawnnyboi88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Losing Weight Help!!

Hello everyone, I'll get straight to the point. I'm a 20 yr old college student whose currently unemployed (been trying to find a job since I graduated from high school.) anyways, I'm around 400 lbs. (yup I know), 6' 5" and I'm ready to lose weight. I'm determined and ready to work through blood, sweat and tears. I've made changed to how I cook and what I eat, I even eat way less than what I used to but the thing is I don't know where to start with the whole exercising part. I was just planning on walking for an hour, followed by 3 sets of 10 push-ups and 3 set of 10 sit-ups a day and gradually increase. Any advice will help soo much. Thanks.

wyoamb23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great job on the diet changes, that's definitely the hardest part! As for exercising, if you don't have much experience then starting with the basic patterns, such as pushing, squatting, pulling and lunging movements with your own weight will be a good place to star, even if they are partial movements until you can achieve a full range of motion if you can do an hour of cardio, then great! Hope this general advice helps and good luck on your journey!

Originally Posted by wyoamb23 View Post
    Great job on the diet changes, that's definitely the hardest part! As for exercising, if you don't have much experience then starting with the basic patterns, such as pushing, squatting, pulling and lunging movements with your own weight will be a good place to star, even if they are partial movements until you can achieve a full range of motion if you can do an hour of cardio, then great! Hope this general advice helps and good luck on your journey!
    Yea the advice was helpful thank you very much!

KateF2016 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Losing weight is not easy, discipline and courage is very important in your journey.
    It's a good idea to walk for an hour, I suggest to walk for an hour and run after for 1 hour, do it for 1 month. Try to beat your own record if you think 1 hour is not enough you can make it 1.5 hours or more. Do it for 1 month and after 1 month you can add other exercises like those you've said like push ups, situps and always beat your own record to know if you have improvements. Aside from that you can drink more water, it's true that it can help you lose weight if you drink more water. Just eat healthy foods, drink more water and have a good sleep.

BoiledTaters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoiledTaters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoiledTaters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoiledTaters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoiledTaters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoiledTaters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    At 6'5, 400 lbs your maintenance calories are going to be off the charts. You will lose entire humans off your body just from eating a normal diet and at a fast rate. One calculator has you at a nearly 3400 calorie BMR. You're a long way from needing to exercise to lose weight while still getting a complete diet.

Personally, I'd be a little wary of doing bodyweight exercises like pushups while extremely obese. For untrained people at normal weights, pushups can be fairly stressful on the joints, I can't even imagine what it would be like at 400 pounds. And they won't even really burn any calories.

Personally, I would just ignore strength training for the most part while you're losing weight (it definitely shouldn't be your main focus), since 95% of your weight loss will come from diet changes, if you stick to them. Anything more than walking or swimming would be completely extraneous for weight loss for the near future. I know this is BB.com but you are facing SERIOUS health problems and your only focus until you get to a reasonable weight should be to cut calories from your diet. Your absurd maintenance will do the heavy lifting for you. The last thing you need to do is spread your discipline too thin and potentially deal with frustration from slow progress, not being able to do certain things, feeling awkward in gyms, etc etc that could throw off your mental state and crash your way more important diet. You must have some awful, awful eating habits that need to be 100%, irreversibly, fixed.

CarverBert is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    losing weight is not as easy. regularly exercise and control dieting results good

Faust069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Faust069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Faust069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Faust069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Faust069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Faust069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Faust069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Faust069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Faust069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Faust069 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Faust069 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BoiledTaters View Post
    At 6'5, 400 lbs your maintenance calories are going to be off the charts. You will lose entire humans off your body just from eating a normal diet and at a fast rate. One calculator has you at a nearly 3400 calorie BMR. You're a long way from needing to exercise to lose weight while still getting a complete diet.

Personally, I'd be a little wary of doing bodyweight exercises like pushups while extremely obese. For untrained people at normal weights, pushups can be fairly stressful on the joints, I can't even imagine what it would be like at 400 pounds. And they won't even really burn any calories.

Personally, I would just ignore strength training for the most part while you're losing weight (it definitely shouldn't be your main focus), since 95% of your weight loss will come from diet changes, if you stick to them. Anything more than walking or swimming would be completely extraneous for weight loss for the near future. I know this is BB.com but you are facing SERIOUS health problems and your only focus until you get to a reasonable weight should be to cut calories from your diet. Your absurd maintenance will do the heavy lifting for you. The last thing you need to do is spread your discipline too thin and potentially deal with frustration from slow progress, not being able to do certain things, feeling awkward in gyms, etc etc that could throw off your mental state and crash your way more important diet. You must have some awful, awful eating habits that need to be 100%, irreversibly, fixed.

This ^^

No need to workout or do cardio yet. The most important thing is to get a kitchen scale and weigh everything that you eat and drink. The weight will come off fast.

Once you dropped below 300, you could start doing a beginner lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5 ot Starting Strength to build muscle. That will not only help you lose weight, but you will look good once you've lost more weight.

Good luck and stay strong!

Originally Posted by BoiledTaters View Post

Yea your right, I have been changing my diet by eating more healthier choices and eating less. Now I'm eating in smaller portions and drinking water all day. Came back from the doctors yesterday cause I wasn't feeling too good and he said that the change so far have been great I just have to keep going at it, I'm just making as much changes as possible and walking 30 min a day for now on a treadmill in my house. 20 years young I don't want it to end here.